Was anyone in Moab this weekend? (Memorial Day 2017)

Travels and adventures.
Colorider

Was anyone in Moab this weekend? (Memorial Day 2017)

Post by Colorider »

Took a trip to Moab this weekend and I saw two other Chinooks. Two!

We were camped out on Willow Spring Rd. I saw a white and blue Concourse with a blue grill on Friday night (which I feel like I saw in UT once before) and I saw a white Premier with brown decals (I think, it was moving quickly) as I rode 191 heading North towards town.

Was it you?

It's always fun to see other Chinooks. I always flash my lights or wave as we go by.
"Harvey the RV" - 1994 Chinook Premier, Dinette, 7.5L V8
LilNookie

Re: Was anyone in Moab this weekend? (Memorial Day 2017)

Post by LilNookie »

Hey Colorider,
We were the blue stripes/ grill. Spent Thursday and Friday nights at Willow Springs then Saturday and Sunday at a great spot a few miles past the campground on Horse Thief Road.
Memorial Day we hoped a spot would open up on the river, I think it's route 128?, but no luck, so we were back at Willow Springs again Monday night.
We just got Lil Nookie in February and this was our first real trip. 53 days, 7400 miles. Love it! Saw a total of 6 Chinooks including yours, saw you drive by. 2 of them had toads, a jeep and a Smart car.
We're based in Port St Lucie Florida.
1995 Concourse
LilNookie

Post by LilNookie »

Hey Colorider,
That would be me. Blue grill. Was on Willow Spring Thursday and Friday. Went to a sweet spot on Horse Thief road Saturday and Sunday then back to Willow Spring Memorial Day.
Was first trip in Lil Nookie, 53 days and 7400 miles. Loved it. We saw 6 chinooks, including yours. 2 had toads, which might be a good idea for next time.
We got back home in Florida this past Sunday.
Scott
1995 Concourse
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

finally! the first time someone spotted and was a member of the forum. look at us go! haha :-)
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Scott/Lil Nookie:

Welcome to the forum! How fun to have someone join up and respond to the query. I hope we'll see more of you now.

Sounds like your first trip was epic. Here's to many more :D

BG

PS: I was up on Willow Springs Road in late September 2015 - I remember it as it was the night of the eclipse and I arrived just in time to get settled and then watch it. Didn't see any other Chinooks though (darn).
1999 Concourse
Colorider

Post by Colorider »

Wow, it worked! Exciting.

I was staring you down as I drove by, hoping I'd see someone to wave at. I'm in that neck of the woods several times a year. In fact, Moab was the deciding factor in buying our RV. We got tired of no running water and having our tent blow over.

That sounds like a pretty epic trip. The most we've mustered in one go was about 2500 miles. Not enough time off I guess. I trust you enjoyed your time in the desert.

Maybe I'll see you, or other forum members again sometime.

Happy Trails!
"Harvey the RV" - 1994 Chinook Premier, Dinette, 7.5L V8
LilNookie

Post by LilNookie »

Thanks guys, yes the trip was epic, can't wait to return. Trying to research cold weather mods for a December or January trip to Colorado. Seems like most campgrounds are closed for winter.
1995 Concourse
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I think there are a few threads on that concept here (winter camping in Chinook). I think most would agree that unless you are only talking one or two nights down to 25º or so (with warm days), it's probably best to just winterize the water system and use jugs of water on the counter. If it's not going to be TOO cold, you could keep the waste tanks going a bit longer than the supply lines (they are larger). If you are going to be hooked up to shore power the whole time I suppose you could consider multiple heaters to keep things from freezing, but I'd still be more comfortable with a winterized supply system, because what if the power goes out, etc.

So winterize supply system, carry jugs for kitchen sink and toilet flushing, possibly put RV antifreeze in the drain traps overnight and still use the black/grey tanks (that kind of depends on HOW cold for how long).

For yourself, cheap little electric heaters are nice if you are at a power post. The big LP furnace is good, but the fan will suck batteries down quickly if boondocking. So then something like a Wave 3 or Wave 6 (can be on legs freestanding) or a Mr. Buddy or etc. (with proper precautions). These don't use electricity.

Closing off the cab is probably a good idea (it's a real cold/hot area). Moving blankets or etc. suspended between cab and coach are good. Reflectix panels friction fit into the windows (after there is no sun coming in) might help keep the condensation at bay there (or thick curtains).

Maybe that's a start. If you don't find a specific thread, feel free to start one and if so I'll copy and paste this over to it.

Bill Fischer/family (forget his handle here) is the owner of a 1997 or 8 Concourse and they use theirs all the time for winter ski trips, sno park type stuff (parking lot camping). So folks do it for sure.
1999 Concourse