Fantastic Fan Replacement

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
Skillet

Fantastic Fan Replacement

Post by Skillet »

A couple weeks ago I replaced the Fantastic Fan. It was the original and the plastic was so brittle that it began breaking. On my last long trip the control box that houses the twist knob (to manually raise/lower the lid) broke and was hanging down by wires. My initial thoughts were to get a new Fantastic Fan but after doing some searching I found that the brand was getting bad reviews since they were bought out. This led me to the competition, MaxxAir. I got the fan with the features I wanted at a cheaper price.

I've never tackled an installation like this and I found it quite easy. Everything was plug and play. The hardest part was being lazy and not getting an early start so I had 95 degree temps and no shade. The only plus to that was it made removing the old dicor and butyl very easy. I didn't want the new butyl to be that soft so I left it in the garage until I needed it.

So far it's been working great. It has 10 speed settings vs 3 for the old fan. The lower settings are so quiet you don't know it's on. My model came with a remote which while it wasn't on my feature list, the lazy man in me appreciates it. It has twin arms which I like better than the single arm on the old one, can be left up as you drive (haven't decided to test that one), and with the lid closed can function as a ceiling fan. The model I went with was the 4500K.
Attachments
20170620_133249[1].jpg
20170720_193847[1].jpg
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...
Skillet

Re: Fantastic Fan Replacement

Post by Skillet »

More pics...
Attachments
20170620_152652[1].jpg
20170620_162902[1].jpg
20170620_163345[1].jpg
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

It took me a minute to register where we were - the dark roof threw me! Good on you for replacing it (and butyl, great choice). Funny but I just replaced mine too (and yep, up there in the hot sun!). I put in a low profile frame and flat lid and will see if that helps the "wind noise" over the high profile vent frame and domed lid. One can hope.

I think the Fantastic vents seem to still be decent, but the customer service is perhaps not what it used to be. Hello Attwood, good-bye small company. When I wanted a remote controlled fan for the bathroom, I contacted both companies (because the newer Fantastics are infrared so line of sight only; used to be RF). Fantastic talked to me, but said they don't sell their wired remote fans to regular customers, because they are too complicated (oookay, but I don't get that since the remote hooks up via CAT 5 type cable. How hard is it to "click" that into place?!). In contrast, Maxxfan engineers talked to me and sent me drawings. Kudos to them!

I still ended up sticking with Fantastic because I like the clear domes, and Maxxfan doesn't have them (darnit). I also wanted to try the low profile frame.

As a note, the newer Fantastic vents with remote have a 13-speed fan and the slower speeds are MUCH slower than the old three speed, rheostat controlled fans (the new ones use PWM). They also use a fraction of the power on low (something less than half an amp vs. the 3-speed fan is not only not very low on low, but uses like 2 amps) (combination of slower speed and PWM control).

If it weren't for the clear domes though....
1999 Concourse
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

That dome actually looks darker than it really is. It lets in a pretty good amount of light. I was hoping it would be completely blacked out but it's still enough light in my opinion to wake you up early in the morning.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Say could you comment on a couple of things?

1) How sturdy is the flange that you put the screws through? Not in terms of it breaking, but it drives me nuts how they bulge up between the screws (and I had a very hot day so the butyl was not rigid at all). I ended up using 1/8" aluminum bar stock on top of the flange, but still... geesh.

2) Since it looks like the vent is almost flush with the garnish on the inside.... is it fairly low profile above the roof? Would you mind measuring next time you're up there? (distance from roof to top of dome).

I will likely be driving tomorrow so I can finally see if the low profile Fantastic-plus-flat-dome affects the wind noise issue caused by having a vent so close to the front of the roof. I can't imagine anything lower (in the RV vent category), so if this doesn't help, then I guess it's on to a marine vent.

BTW, the low-profile Fantastic with the flat lid is only 2-1/2" off the roof (to the top of the lid!). Looow.

On the inside the bottom of the square part (where the garnish fits) is just about flush with the overhead carpet. I thought I might have to make a trim ring to fit the garnish but it should go up just fine as is. The knob you turn for the lid to go up and down does hang down into the room but since there is a lamp just behind it (also hanging down) it doesn't really matter (at least not to me).
1999 Concourse
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

Regarding wind noise from the front vent...

What have you guys got against a nice vent cover? :)

After it stormed a few nights after I got my Chinook, I had covers on right away. Now the vents can stay open through wind and rain.

Thanks! Kev
(Curiousity killed the cat; satisfaction brought it back.)
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

Blue: I'll get you that info as soon as I can. I'm working this weekend and currently there's a storm going through.
Kd: I've got nothing against it, just never considered needing one. For the MaxxAir it's only a $30 purchase and I'm seriously considering it for the reasons you mentioned.
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

kdarling wrote:Regarding wind noise from the front vent...

What have you guys got against a nice vent cover? :)
I really prefer not to look at them. They appear a visual affront to the assertive barreling wedge. They rob the Chinook of its smooth character, I guess.
1994 Premier
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Why no vent cover? I don't like them for I guess three reasons:

1) Ugly humps (IMO). But more importantly...

2) I like to look out at the sky, and...

3) A friend had them on and he was constantly running his fans. I figured out why: Much of the air is blocked! The sides are basically covered, the rear has yet another screen, and the lid won't open as far.

I realize some people love them, but since you asked - that's why I don't have any. I'd likely change my mind if I spent a lot of time in a rainy climate, especially with the sliding (vs. jalousie) windows.
1999 Concourse
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

Scott wrote:I really prefer not to look at them. They appear a visual affront to the assertive barreling wedge. They rob the Chinook of its smooth character, I guess.
I don't disagree. That's why I got a swoopier one for the front, to act as kind of a visual and wind flow segue to the AC unit. I did however punt and use a regular wart one for the bath :)
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
No wind noise while driving, of course. And no worries that a high wind will tear the lid off its struts, as has happened to others.

Anyway, thanks, gentlemen! Always useful to hear various reasons pro and con!
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)