fresh water tank

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
kdarling

Re: fresh water tank

Post by kdarling »

Yep, three drains.

One by the water pump, and two up front by the water heater for the hot/cold lines.

Since it's so slow, I usually open them and let it drain overnight.
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
deb

Post by deb »

Thanks again.

You guys rock!
deb
2003 Chinook concourse
Montana
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

Oh, and maybe open your sink faucets and outside filler connection, to let air in so it all can drain quicker.
deb

Post by deb »

That's a good idea. Thanks!
deb
2003 Chinook concourse
Montana
jeanie19
**Forum Contributor**

Post by jeanie19 »

Like Ted said, using the pump is the fastest. I like to use use the outside shower to pump into a 5 gallon bucket and dump it on a thirsty shrub. To really get it empty put the driver front tire up on a block and open the petcock by the water pump to drain as much as possible of what's left.
Jeanie K.
2000 Chinook Concourse
Plank flooring, Wave heater, CO cubby
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

It's probably because I'm born/raised in CA, but would never dump something so useful and precious as water; and further, I want my tank topped up for earthquake and fire preparedness (evacuation). I might put a little chlorine in there to keep it bright, but empty no way. I did however get a bad tankful one time in northern MN (I think the yard hydrant was pulling directly from the adjacent shallow lake/pond), so the whole system had to be drained/flushed. Once I found clean(er) water, I removed the tiny petcock alltogether due to its restriction and added a length of silicone hose onto the nipple, which then went into a garden hose down the hallway, which then went out the back door onto the ground. It was emptied in about 15 minutes.
BTW, has anyone confirmed the capacity?
1994 Premier
Rokrover

Post by Rokrover »

I’m with you there, Scott. We always have our Chinook in standby mode as “bug-out pod” with fuel, propane and water tanks around 3/4 full. We use the water tank mainly for kitchen and toilet duties and bring on board a couple of freshly filled gallon water jugs (old juice containers) for drinking on trips. Not that the tank water is suspect when I am able to refill from a known source at home.

As for water capacity, my build sheet says 32 gallons, but I’ve never bothered to confirm this. I suppose you could measure tank dimensions easily enough to calculate this.
Ted C. / SW Arizona
"The Blue Chook" 2002 Concourse Owner: 2013-2019
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

Scott wrote:It's probably because I'm born/raised in CA, but would never dump something so useful and precious as water;
She's not dumping it; she's watering a plant with it.

But yeah, different places, different rare substances. While traveling the SouthWest as kids, my Dad drilled into us not to throw out water. Of course, back then there were no Interstates and you could sometimes drive a hundred of miles without seeing anyone or any water.

Doesn't the Chinook manual recommend putting in some baking soda 'to make it sweet' every year or so, btw?

I've never tried that.
deb

Post by deb »

Not wasting water guys...there are plenty of thirsty plants around here.

New to me rv, unknown water condition or source...just feel better filling it with fresh.

....Assuming I figure out how to do it.

Thanks again,
deb
2003 Chinook concourse
Montana
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

The spec sheet says 32 gallons but I think it may not be that large and didn't see the capacity molded into the tank. Reason I say that I think it may be a bit smaller is that I took the outside measurements and put them into a "volume of a tank" calculator and got 30.78 gallons. BUT, that doesn't take the wall thickness of the tank into account. Seems like (from looking at tanks you can purchase that are similar) that may take away a couple of gallons. There is also a "notch" into the tank where the hoses go in that takes away volume from the box as calculated. So I'd guess more like 28 gallons (but have not filled gallon by gallon to check - this is from calculations).

Incidentally, I am able to see the logos and tank capacities (which do agree with the specs) on the waste tanks.
1999 Concourse