Roof Storage Ideas and pics desired

Section for discussion of Chinook interior and appliance issues, repair or installation.
Adkandy

Roof Storage Ideas and pics desired

Post by Adkandy »

We are looking at adding storage to the roof area. Will most likely combine with additional solar cells. I'd be interested in seeing what others have done to get some ideas. Would like to store seasonal items such as chairs, raft, etc. Would like to have rear access. Also, who would install such items, or are they DIY items. So far RV, auto, and boat dealers have indicated that they don't want to do the jobs!!!! I can do almost anything but would like to get ideas. If possible, please include material lists and/or part numbers. Thank you.
Valkyrie

Re: Roof Storage Ideas and pics desired

Post by Valkyrie »

I'm looking to add a long Thule box to the area over the crankup antenna . I want to mount the box in such a way that allows me to remove it and then transport a tandem kayak in the same location. Most likely the kayak would have to be transported inverted so it generates downforce at speed rather than lift. My biggest question is "how do I secure the mounts to the roof of the Chinook". Do I use an adhesive on aluminum plates and then attach the roof box mounts to the plates or do I drill into the roof ? At highway speeds I'm sure that there will be significant forces on the roof box . That's why I'm leaning towards an aerodynamic Thule box vs a more square box mounted behind the AC unit.
Willywalderbeast

Post by Willywalderbeast »

I found this link a while back and copied the install. Mine is slightly different as I moved my new solar setup to the opposite side and I have a side door so I mounted my outside feet to the brackets for the awning. I won't attach my pictures because it's kinda irrelevant in this situation but check out the link with a how to on this guys setup.

http://chinookconcourse.tumblr.com/post ... -cargo-box
Attachments
image.jpeg
Adkandy

Post by Adkandy »

Thank you for the posts thus far. I have read the link to the carrier (reply #2) already and it has some good ideas. I think I'd try to use stainless steel boat rail, and possibly do an upside down "V" on the outside supports to overcome the stress due to wind resistance. Please keep the ideas coming. We'll post what we come up with as a final product.
Valkyrie

Post by Valkyrie »

Just what I was looking for ... thanks .. love this forum