Converter problem?

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
RVA_Cascade

Converter problem?

Post by RVA_Cascade »

Hello, all. I've been trying to troubleshoot an electrical issue I seem to be having. I tried searching the forum but I didn't seem to find anything on point. The last two trips I have taken in my 2003 Cascade I have been on shore power. However, when plugged in, the house batteries would run down. They would not charge unless I started the engine and the alternator went to work.

The second issue was when I returned to my friend's place where I park the rig. Given the power issues, I took the fridge off of auto and had it run exclusively off propane. When I flipped the battery switch from on to store, the fridge instantly turned off. That sure didn't seem right to me.

Given these issues, I think something must be wrong with my converter. But I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to electrical stuff. So any advice or suggestions from the group sure would help a lot. Thanks very much!

Michael
2003 Cascade
jlarry214

Re: Converter problem?

Post by jlarry214 »

I'm no elc. expert, but I do know that even on propane the frig requires 12V control power. Anytime you turn the store switch on it will kill anything that requires 12V control voltage.

On the converter side, I'd take it to an RV shop, but thats just me.

Larry
1999 Converse
kdarling

Re: Converter problem?

Post by kdarling »

Put a meter on a DC outlet / converter output / distribution box DC side, and flip the AC breaker for the converter off and on. Should see a difference in the DC. If not, maybe the converter is shot.

Larry is correct about the fridge. It needs 12v for the control board, temp sensor, gas valve and gas spark. Although you do bring up an interesting point -- in theory a batteryless gas fridge should be possible to make. But with the extra powered modes, it makes sense to use a single simple powered controller.

Kevin
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)