Chinook Ham Radio Stations

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
tjmackle

Chinook Ham Radio Stations

Post by tjmackle »

Are there any Chinook owners out there that operate or would like to operate a Ham Radio mobile station out of their Chinook? I have been doing this for the last 14 years and am willing to share a plethora of information on how do this with a minimum profile and keep out of divorce court at the same time.
Tom Mackle ARS KE6IB tjmackle@cox.net 619 301 9796
SMan

Re: Chinook Ham Radio Stations

Post by SMan »

tjmackle wrote:Are there any Chinook owners out there that operate or would like to operate a Ham Radio mobile station out of their Chinook? I have been doing this for the last 14 years and am willing to share a plethora of information on how do this with a minimum profile and keep out of divorce court at the same time.
Tom Mackle ARS KE6IB tjmackle@cox.net 619 301 9796
Related but a bit off subject I remember when both my parents were in a "JeepClub" back in the 60's and went to class for a Ham license which was far better than the CB's many were using. My Mom was the only one who passed. Sadly she died a few years later. Her call sign was WA7IEB. My uncle also gone now was K7WZE. Those old Motorola radios were HUGE back then. (Odd that Google now owns Motorola)
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
Colorider

Post by Colorider »

<------- KF4WZC

(not really active, just have the license)
"Harvey the RV" - 1994 Chinook Premier, Dinette, 7.5L V8
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

Had a license about 30yrs ago and let it expire. Now I'm getting a cb for my trips and would love to pick your brain about antenna locations. Can't find too many. Want a 1/4 wave whip. Was thinking of mounting it on the driver-side rear bumper corner. Don't know where else to put something that big.
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...
tjmackle

Post by tjmackle »

For those asking about a CB antenna location: With CB you are working with only 5 watts so it would behove you to keep it high and clear of obsticles. The safety rail on the roof works great. Be sure your whip is not too tall as to exceed the 14 foot highway laws. There are rail clamps available and just mount it above the left cab door and thread the coax through the door opening and around the back of the drivers seat. You might want to put some cable shield on the coax where it comes in contact with the door. There has been a significant drop in CB use because so many people would rather use their smartphone and the low end of the solar cycle will we be in 2020. During the low end of the 10 year cycle, signals will not skip back to earth so your range is restricted to line of sight.
Cheers, tj mackle