electric dump valves

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

electric dump valves

Post by chin_k »

Anyone here have the electric dump valves (actuated)? Do you know where is the circuit breaker that powers them? The one in my rig has two switches inside the electric service (where the shore power cable is stored), but it is not obvious to me where they got the power from. I need to troubleshoot why they don't work, and I am starting from the circuit breaker / fuse first.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Blue~Go

Re: electric dump valves

Post by Blue~Go »

Have a look at this thread. I'd suggest removing them, but that's a personal decision. As far as power I *think* they may get power through the ignition system when in the Aux position somehow (someone mentioned this and it made some sense). It's been years since I removed mine, so I don't remember all the details any longer. Nothing wrong with starting new threads, but maybe since this is a pretty specific topic, we could keep the questions going in the linked thread just for future convenience? Here it is:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36&hilit=dump+valve
1999 Concourse
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Thank you for the link. I did search for info on dump valve before posting, but came up empty handed, so I started a new thread. Sorry about that.

I took the Chinook for a 4k miles trip before using it on a shorter "test run". One of the lessons learn is that expect things to go wrong. I never use the valves before on this rig, so it was frustrating to find out that it does not work as expected. I guess the reason is that I was hooked up to a full service site, and the car key was out of the ignition. I can't get the valves to open by themselves, so I removed the actuators. In frustration, I cut them off the wires, since I need to go to other sites, and don't want to have to take them off and put them back when I ready to move the rig. The black valve is difficult to close, so i am thinking about replacing them, but not right away.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

No worries at all. Sometimes search doesn't cooperate.
1999 Concourse
tjmackle

Post by tjmackle »

The power comes from the engine starting battery so the ignition must be turned full on to get power.
The new models of the original electric valves work much better so upgrading to the new version is a good investment. A through rinse after dumping will prevent the valves getting hung up by residual toilet tissue.