Rear-view camera

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
Skillet

Re: Rear-view camera

Post by Skillet »

Have you run into any signal interference like some people complain about? I want to go the wireless route, but I want to hear from a Chinook owner, not a Class A owner.
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

Never seen interference, but then I only use the wireless setup for backing up.

I don't think the resolution is super good, but that's probably more caused by using an NTSC video signal.

Nevertheless, it's just fine for its purpose.

Plus, as noted, I'm only using a $10 transmitter + receiver set :)

You can read all its reviews here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008Z9E4DW

The main downside is that reviews say the transmitter gets hot if left on. This pushed me to only enable it on reverse, and is why I will probably run a video cable for my next full-time rearview camera. (OTOH, I might be over-cautious here.)
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Post by HoosierB »

I decided to take the plunge into this endeavor as well. With my on-going rig remodeling project, the interior rear entry and fridge side of the galley have been basically gutted for new cabinet work, etc. This will give me the opportunity to run video/camera cable along the passenger side of the rig. After researching several install ideas, I determined I wanted:
• a "hard-wired" system (not wireless)
• full time rear view (not just for backup)
• at least a 9" wide color monitor to be placed where the mirror is now

A Tadi Brothers system (http://www.tadibrothers.com/catalog/bac ... kup-camera)
seems to address all my wants:
• 9" Mirror with 170° Backup Camera SKU93228
• Color
• Clips over existing mirror
• On while driving or in reverse (Mirrored Image)

It would appear I can tap into the existing rear view mirror power wire and use the "powered video cables" to feed the camera. Seems easy peasy enough (?).
TadiBros.png
"Wanda" – '01 Chinook Concourse XL V10
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

That looks sleek. Isn't it nice how easy it is to access wiring (and other things) when you simply remove the walls? :lol:

For me I think I want to retain the functionality of the rear view mirror. It's sort of ironic, because for years I have driven larger vehicles with only side mirrors, and in those the rear view mirror was basically useless. I'm completely used to driving without it.

But.... I've grown to like it in the Chinook! First of all, I like the temperature readout (although my compass doesn't work, darnit). And second, after I added one of those "prismatic" lense dealies to the rear door, it's actually amazingly useful (I never would have imagined). And I use it to look into the back to see what just made that falling noise.... Plus it's a backup if the (planned future) rear view camera ever fails.

(Also the prismatic lens dealie is nice at campgrounds, because I can see "to the sides" if I want to know if someone is approaching, etc. - not a big thing, but handy.) (I always kind of secretly laughed at people who had those, since I didn't "need" one because I know how to drive with side mirrors - now I have one and like it :D)

OTOH, I can see how that would be nice and clean, with no "extra" monitor hanging around in the cab. Cluttered cab... ugh.

I've procrastinated on this long enough that the "wireless" systems are almost starting to seem like they have matured enough to be useful. OTOH, running a wire is not that hard, and then you know you're good.

I hope you'll post as you go -- maybe I'll get inspired and finally install one myself!
1999 Concourse
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

Has anyone thought about getting one of the "surround" / "omnidirection" overhead view camera systems?

They have (at least) four cameras... front, rear, left, right... whose output is folded together by a computer to display what looks like an overhead drone view of your vehicle (lefthand image in the split monitor view):
surround-view.png
Most systems like this will show both the surround view, and a front / rear / left / right view depending on whether you're in reverse or not, or if you have a turn signal on.

What made me look into this, was having to back into my father-in-law's very curvy driveway one night. Even with a spotter outside, it was difficult. An overhead IR surround camera view of the driveway would've made it a piece of cake to do by myself.

Kev

PS - some YouTube videos of various systems follow. These things run from about $240 on eBay for cheap Chinese, up to $1,000 or more for fanciers ones.

Smart i 360 Degree Seamless Surround View Digital Video Recorder.
http://youtu.be/K-I6MfQd1B0

Surround View Monitor powered by VADAS Co
http://youtu.be/6e5x8nPsQwg

ORCA - Omnidirectional Realtime Camera Assistant by CAMOS
http://youtu.be/-nL0zVL3fgE

Boyo VT-BP 360° Birds Eye Car Camera processor
http://youtu.be/9s2cG2-1RAU
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Post by HoosierB »

As per my previous post on this topic, my hard-wired camera system installation includes a TadiBrothers rear-view mirror/monitor that clips onto the OEM mirror. The new mirror monitor will be for full-time rear viewing and not connected to reverse lamp switching.
The existing stock Ford mirror has LED temp/compass readouts. I've searched the internet for wiring diagrams for that mirror with no success.
I would like the new mirror/monitor to power off-on like the OEM mirror (ignition activated?).
Has anyone tapped into the OEM mirror for 12v (+,-)?
2001 Concourse Ford E350
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I haven't tapped into the mirror, and you probably already know this, but my mirror (also has compass and temp) takes its power from the Chinook auxilliary fuse panel by the left driver's shin. I noticed that in Chinook literature they referred to it as the "Prince" mirror. I did find one bit of US Patent info for the Prince mirror but little else. No idea if it really is a Prince mirror or if that was some type of Kleenex term that just stuck around even after they were no longer Prince brand.

Here is a photo of my auxulliary fuse block with the 1 amp mirror fuse circled.
auxilliary fuse block mirror.jpg
I realize this isn't the same as telling you which wires up by the mirror carry power, but at least you could work backwards.

Another note, slightly un-related but in case it helps at some point: The two lights on the underside of the mirror are controlled by the dome light circuit. You probably already know that, but just mentioning it since those wires may be up there too. Not saying you'd want to use those, but rather avoid them.

I "got to know" those wires when I finally (praise the night sky) figured out how to re-wire my "illuminated entry" dome lights that WOULD NOT BE SHUT OFF when the door was open (or even if someone touched the outside door handle). Boy did I hate that feature (gone now though!).
1999 Concourse
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Post by HoosierB »

The one I have looks to be a "Donnelly"(?). Mine doesn't have the built-in map lights. Any way, no wiring diagrams...
Mirror%20rear%20view%20info%20Donnelly%20small.jpg
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Post by HoosierB »

Leaving the stock mirror wiring alone, I've decided to hardwire the TadiBrothers mirror monitor directly to the auxiliary fuse panel for a direct 12v ignition switchable power source using a blade fuse tap. Fishing a 2-wire (+,-) from the fuse block up the drivers side pillar and under the headliner to the mirror location should work. I'm guessing a run of less than 10 feet.

What gauge wire is recommended for this type of hookup? Haven't been able to find an amp draw rating for the monitor/camera. It can't be much. Will 16 gauge work?
And which fuse can I piggy-back onto without problems?
The "beverage-mate" is gone, so that's an empty slot ...but was saving that for an additional 12v/USB auxiliary port on the console.
Again, this setup is full-time rearview monitoring.

Thanks,
HoosierB The Electrically Challenged
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Just curious, but don't you have the pre-wired ignition or hot taps on that fuse block already? I thought that was standard on Concourses, and it's shown in the manual. Here's the page from the 2000 manual:
taps concourse.png
As far as wire/fusing, 16AWG (presuming 105ºC rated wire) can be fused to 25 amps if not bundled or not in an engine space. Presuming you only have the camera on that circuit, I'd probably fuse it lower. You may even be able to fuse it really low and cover the camera as well (say if the camera says to use a 5 amp fuse; rather than the main larger fuse and then an inline fuse you could just fuse the whole circuit to 5 amps).

I bet the camera would not draw a whole lot (should be able to find out), so the pre-wired ignition hot tap in the lower left should work, it would seem.
1999 Concourse