Brake Upgrade

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
Chinookers
**Forum Contributor**

Brake Upgrade

Post by Chinookers »

Because of a bad front caliper the Chinook brakes overheated coming home through LA on our last trip. Rather than just getting a regular brake job with standard Ford parts I decided to upgrade both front and back brakes to Powerstop cross drilled and slotted rotors, high performance pads, and new calipers. The job was professionally handled by Full Tilt Off-Road Equipment in San Clemente.

kdarling

Re: Brake Upgrade

Post by kdarling »

So... don't keep us in suspense!

How're the brakes now in comparison?

:D
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
Chinookers
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Chinookers »

Not yet enough road time to draw a comparison. So far, I just drove the short distance home from where they were installed. There was no safe place on this route to perform the bedding in procedure which I'll take care of later this week. I've also been told that performance will improve after a few hundred miles. I'll post an update at that time.

Here's the Powerstop bedding in procedure:

The break in procedure is critical to brake performance. The reason for a proper break in is to establish an even layer of friction material deposited on the rotors from the brake pads. It is very important that this initial layer of friction material is evenly distributed.

Break in the pads as follows:

5 moderate to aggressive stops from 40 mph down to 10 mph in rapid succession without letting the brakes cool and do not come to a complete stop. If you're forced to stop, either shift into neutral or give room in front so you can allow the vehicle to roll slightly while waiting for the light. The rotors will be very hot and holding down the brake pedal will allow the pad to create an imprint on the rotor. This is where the judder can originate from.

Then do 5 mod­erate stops from 35 mph to 5 mph in rapid succession without letting the brakes cool. You should expect to smell some resin as the brakes get hot.

After this is complete, drive around for as long as possible without excessively heating the brakes and without coming to a complete stop (Try for about 5 minutes at moderate speed). This is the cooling stage. It allows the heated resin in the brake pads to cool and cure.

After the brakes have cooled to standard operating temperature, you may use the brakes normally.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I had to wait a few hundred miles to bed mine, because you can't exactly do that in Portland or on I-5! But luckily on my way back south there were some looooong straight empty roads going east into Nevada. I took a drive on one just for that purpose.
1999 Concourse
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Post by 68camaro »

Chinookers wrote: September 29th, 2017, 11:28 am Because of a bad front caliper the Chinook brakes overheated coming home through LA on our last trip. Rather than just getting a regular brake job with standard Ford parts I decided to upgrade both front and back brakes to Powerstop cross drilled and slotted rotors, high performance pads, and new calipers. The job was professionally handled by Full Tilt Off-Road Equipment in San Clemente.
How are brakes working out? Do you notice big difference?
2001 Concourse XL Lounge model, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis.
Chinookers
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Chinookers »

They are definitely better than the originals - noticeable improvement but I wouldn't characterize it as a BIG difference, but there again I do not drive aggressively, and therefore tend to be gentle on brakes. I know I will feel more comfortable the next time I'm in the mountains.
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Post by deppstein »

I had the same kit installed by my local Ford dealer back in February and have since traveled from Boston to South Carolina and back...and now doing a three week trip around Maine and Nova Scotia. I have definitely noticed the improvement from the stock brakes that I inherited when we bought our 2004 Premier back in 2014. I would certainly recommend this upgrade.
David