Screen door 2000 concourse

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
Blue~Go

Re: Screen door 2000 concourse

Post by Blue~Go »

I'll take a photo and post it. I noticed when I looked at it last night that it's sort of "formed" to fit the channel on the side of the door, so it may be something that comes from the door maker (may be Attwood?)

I really, really like the magnetic door function (as opposed to needing to open the little sliding panel on my buddy's rig EVERY time I want to go in or out (to reach the latch).

Okay, got a few pics. This is the stock setup on my 1999 Concourse. This is the magnet that's mounted on the edge of the screen door that "sticks it" to the coach body (so in other words this is in use when the main door is propped open but the screen door is closed and in use). There are other (round) magnets that magnetize the screen door to the main door. They are stronger than the magnet shown here, so that normally when you open the main door (say you are coming back to the rig) the screen door sticks to the main door and they open as a unit. But you can pull them apart and then if only the screen door is closed (main door is propped open), this magnet (pictured below) will hold the door closed to the coach body, so it functions as an independent screen door. So no latches are needed in day to day operation (but if you want to "lock" it very firmly, you can always use a stick - see avatar :mrgreen:)

In the third photo I included one of the round magnets that hold the screen door to the main door.

Also, as you can see, this magnet (the long equals sign one) certainly looks as though it's specifically made for the door (or the door is made for it), as it's recessed, plus fits around the door extrusions.
P1000388.jpg
1999 Concourse
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Looking down from above. Just the part where the magnet fits into the extrusion grooves is the screen door. The part to the right is the main door. To the left are the "equals signs" which are the magnets that hold to the coach body.
P1000389.jpg
The side that normally contacts the inside of the main door (you can also see one of the round magnets that hold the two doors together when you are not specifically using the screen door alone). The black "line" that's to the left and below the round magnet is the edge of the magnet we're talking about.
P1000391.jpg
Edge (door jamb side). You can see it's riveted on. To the right is the main door (slightly separated from screen door) and to the left is the interior.
P1000392.jpg
1999 Concourse
Beaver

Post by Beaver »

Thanks, Blue. The photos really help. I'll start searching for a place where I can find a replacement part. In the meantime, here's the hole I'm trying to fill.
Attachments
our screen door.JPG
Beaver
'98 Concourse
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Mine is a 2000 concourse, so it uses the paddle version that Clay linked to on the first page. I like the magnetic version better. I wonder why they switched? Maybe cheaper?
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
NickL

Post by NickL »

I have 2004 Concourse with this part of the screen door that is suppose to be hook up to the main door. Does anyone know where it can be purchased?
Attachments
latch for screen door on the main entry door.
latch for screen door on the main entry door.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I see it on Amazon JR Products 06-11865 Black Bi-Directional Screen Door Latch . I don't remember anyone selling it just by itself, however.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
NickL

Post by NickL »

chin_k wrote:I see it on Amazon JR Products 06-11865 Black Bi-Directional Screen Door Latch . I don't remember anyone selling it just by itself, however.

On Amazon looks a little different. Maybe I may have to look into changing the whole unit after purchasing from Amazon. I wonder if anyone has done that?

NickL
Beaver

Post by Beaver »

I found a replacement for my lost screen door magnet at the local Ace Hardware store. It was in the cabinet hardware department. There were several to choose from. I found one very similar to the original shown in Blue-Go's photos. It's a little smaller and I attached it with metal screws instead of a rivet. It works fine. Here are some photos.
Attachments
New magnet back.JPG
New magnet side.JPG
New magnet front.JPG
Beaver
'98 Concourse
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Great! Chinook magnetic door, back in business :D
1999 Concourse