Help with Awning

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
maxusa

Help with Awning

Post by maxusa »

I'm having a problem with the awning, it goes out about 3 inchs and stops not sure if I should force it out. Has anyone run it this problem?
John 1998 Concourse
Beaver

Re: Help with Awning

Post by Beaver »

Hi John-
I had the very same problem with my '98 Chinook. I posted the issue on this forum a couple of months ago. Rather than link to the entire string, here's my last post that explains how I fixed it.

So I called Fiamma as recommended and spoke with Bob Snyder. He asked for two photos to verify that it was an awning they made. It was. I described in my email the symptoms - that cranking the mechanism loosened the awning and pulled it away from the rv a little, but then it would go no further.
The guy who sold it to me a month ago said "a spring was broken" and that's why the awning wasn't working. I took it to my local RV repair shop and they said the "awning gears were stripped" and that I should just buy a new one (for about $850).

Bob at Fiamma wrote back to me to say the solution was a lot simpler. See below:

Hi James,

You have either the F45 Plus or F45 Elegance model awning. The biggest difference is if the awning has dual shock absorbents in the back case where the spring loaded lateral arms attach (see drawings below). The F45 Plus has the Dual Shock absorbers (a 3" plastic piece).

I have attached a spare parts drawing of both models for your review. The winch mechanism has changed from the original models.

What you need to do is to have someone pull out on the awning while someone else is turning the crank handle. The crank handle must be turning for the awning to open. Once you have it opened, lubricate the spring loaded lateral arms at the elbows and both ends with a spray lubricant such as silicone and work the arms until they are free. Springs in the lateral arms push the awning open when turning the handle. If the elbows get too stiff from corrosion, the springs are not strong enough to push it open.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Bob Snyder
Operations Manager
Fiamma, Inc.
http://www.fiammausa.com

Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to attach the drawings he sent me. But this gives you an idea of how helpful Fiamma is. The original awning on my 1998 Chinook is now working perfectly.
Beaver
'98 Concourse
SMan

Post by SMan »

Just to make sure you know there was a mass shooting at Fiamma killing multiple employees and they have suspended operations until further notice. They are a relatively small company and many key personnel were killed.
The whole thing is very sad.
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
maxusa

Post by maxusa »

That is very helpful I will try it and let you know.
John 1998 Concourse
maxusa

Post by maxusa »

Got the awning out and greased it,seems to be working find, but the legs were very stiff and one of the brackets at the top snapped when I turned it.
Not sure if anyone has ordered that part and where they got it.
John 1998 Concourse
Kirah
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Kirah »

SMan wrote:Just to make sure you know there was a mass shooting at Fiamma killing multiple employees and they have suspended operations until further notice. They are a relatively small company and many key personnel were killed.
The whole thing is very sad.
FYI - Fiamma USA appears to be open again. I noticed that the pop-up on their site had gone, so I sent in an email asking about replacement parts for my awning. I was told that they don't have any technical support, but if I know the part number I can call to order it. I think I've got that worked out, but I thought I'd post an update in case anyone else was also waiting...
1999 Premier, now minus all passenger side cabinets and appliances :twisted:
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

All that helpful spirit and knowledge gone.... what a horrible shame. My heart still sinks every time I think of it.

If you get stuck on part numbers, folks here might be able to help. It's good that at least they can send out parts now. Thanks for the update.
1999 Concourse