The Gaspe Peninsula of Quebec and Northern Maine

Travels and adventures.
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

The Gaspe Peninsula of Quebec and Northern Maine

Post by deppstein »

My wife and I just returned from a delightful three week trip through the Atlantic Provinces, Gaspe Peninsula, and northern Maine. The Gaspe and northern Maine (and by that I mean NORTH...above Bangor) are particularly beautiful if you like north woods/mountains/rivers/lakes/and oceans.

We circumvented the Gaspe, staying at the Lac Cascapedia campground in Gaspe National Park, and the Forillon National Park. Campsites 10 and 11 at Lac Cascapedia are particularly spectacular water sites where you can leave your canoe or kayak at the water's edge...like having your own private lake front property! The canoeing, fishing, and hiking are terrific. And talk about a remote campground--we crossed paths with a friendly (thankfully) mother moose and her skittish adolescent calf on our way to dump garbage one evening! Doesn't get much better than this. Could easily stay a week. And the hiking in Forillon along ocean and mountain paths is breathtaking. Don't miss the 4 km hike out to the tip.

On the way home (Boston), we took our time going through real northern Maine...Baxter, Moosehead Lake areas. Peaks-Kenny State Park is another little gem...every site is nicely wooded from its neighbors, the lake has all undeveloped shoreline that begs exploring by canoe, and there is a great beach for swimming with tables in the woods along the shore for hanging out and picnicking. On Moosehead Lake, Lily Bay State Park is also beautiful with lots of waterfront sites. I swear, State Parks across the country are the jewels of America.
David
Blue~Go

Re: The Gaspe Peninsula of Quebec and Northern Maine

Post by Blue~Go »

Just reading it, I can imagine it. Sounds fantastic. I spent some time in Maine working one summer and took a side trip up to Quebec City through those "real north" areas inland. Pretty neat. I had read the book "We Took to The Woods," by Louise Dickinson Rich when I was younger, so it was neat going near her family's home patch (they lived in that area in the 1930's, way out in the bush on a river).

Any photos would be most welcome.
1999 Concourse
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Post by deppstein »

My wife, Deborah, is the primary chronicler (both photo and written) of our trips...but I commit to going through her pics and will endeavor to post some of the more evocative shots. Stay tuned.

David
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Post by deppstein »

Blue-Go...as per your request, here are some pics of our recent trip through northern Maine and the Gaspe.
...listening to CNN and MSNBC for a bit this evening almost caused us to re-stock the frig and head back out again! Too bad my wife has a job she is still enjoying.
Attachments
Cliffs in Forillon NP.JPG
Campsite in Gaspe NP.JPG
Around Perce south shore.JPG
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Post by deppstein »

Looks like I could only send three pics at a time...here are three more.
Attachments
Peaks-Kenny State Park.JPG
Ocean hike Forillon NPJPG.JPG
Ocean campground north shore GaspeJPG.JPG
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Thank you for taking the time. I especially liked the first one (Forillon,) the Gaspe campsite (because it shows your Chinook all nestled in), and the Perce south shore because the rocks are so unique, and it gives a glimpse of a small village.

I seem to do this thing where for some reason I start wanting to get home; then when I get there I'm all "Wait, why??" Maybe some weird force of human nature.

Of course there is always the fun of planning and getting ready for the next trip!

BG

PS: Yes there is a three image limit to each post. So I just do what you did which is "reply to myself" and add more each time.
1999 Concourse
windswept

Post by windswept »

Great post and pictures! I did that same area on my motorcycle last century(late 80's) and am looking forward to covering this ground again in the Concourse.
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

Fantastic! Thanks!
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
SMan

Post by SMan »

That is beautiful David. Never been to that part of the country but hope to get there in the next few years. Thanks for sharing.
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Post by deppstein »

Yes indeed!...Gaspe and Northern Maine are definitely worth the trip. More of a remote feeling than say Cape Breton in Nova Scotia. But if you really want to explore that sort of combination of spectacular inland wilderness, wild coast, and small fishing villages, NOTHING beats Newfoundland. We spent about 3 1/2 weeks there back in 2014, and can't wait to go back. We did it by taking the long (overnight ferry to St. John's and working our way slowly back west, before catching the shorter ferry back from Chanel-Port aux Basques. Gros Morne National Park is not to be missed...but places like Deadman's Bay Provincal Park, Dildo Run Provincal Park, or Blow Me Down Provincal Park (I'm not making these up!) are equally worthwhile. Our Rigs are the perfect way to see this land...not much in the way of hotels and the like, but plenty of great camping spots. Just allow plenty of time, and plan for lots of driving.

Speaking of great places for a Rig Trip--SMan, you live around another one of our favorite trip destinations. On our very first Rig Trip (a rental, before we got Turtle), we flew into Seattle, went up into the Northern Cascades, down through the Pinchot Forest to the Columbia Gorge, through Portland (couple of hours for Powell's Book and the Farmer's Market), and up/around, and through the Olympic Peninsula. That trip is what convinced us to get our Rig. Lucky you, SMan, to have that in your back yard!

So many places to go...

David