Early first generation 18+ exterior dimensions? (edited)

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
oldcarguy

Early first generation 18+ exterior dimensions? (edited)

Post by oldcarguy »

Can anybody provide exact height dimensions for the first generation (early 70's) 18+ models? I've been looking for factory dimension spec info, and can't find anything for the first generation models - this info is critical to whether I can fit a Chinook in the only RV space I have available - a not quite rectangular pad next to my garage.

The pad is 25' long, so that's not an issue, but the space is height-limited by a roof overhang and gutter, and width-limited by a fence on the property line. The rear of the pad has the least space - the narrowest dimension (garage wall to fence) is barely adequate at 8'5"; minimum vertical clearance in the same area is 8'5" (bottom of the gutter to the pad at the lower edge of the roof overhang, 2'6" out from the wall). From those points, the pad slopes slightly away from the house and toward the street - at the front of the pad, vertical clearance increases to 8'7"

Since the Chinook will need to be as close to the outer wall of the garage as possible, I need to determine whether it will fit under that roof overhang and gutter. From what info I have been able to dig up, the late 90's versions appear to have a total height of about 9'4" without roof ac, but I don't know if that's consistent with the earlier models.

The dimensions I need are specific to an early (pre 76) 1st gen 18+: a) the height from the ground to the step in the camper roof at two points - the right rear corner, and the left front side directly above the rear edge of the driver's side door; b) the width of the step in the camper roof from the vertical side of the camper body to the vertical side of the step; and c) the height of the vertical side of the step from the flat portion of the step to the main roof.

On an early unit with the vent hood cap on the main part of the roof, it's possible that the height difference between the top of the step and the top surface of the roof could be enough to provide some additional clearance. If the distance from the ground to that initial step is short enough for the edge of the roof to clear the bottom of the gutter (and the step is wide enough to get close enough to the wall to squeeze into that space) the rail could be removed and the holes fiberglassed closed.

Thanks in advance for the assistance - whether there's adequate space to squeeze into that area will determine whether I get on a plane to go look into purchasing a Chinook that's several hundred miles away.
Blue~Go

Re: Early first generation 18+ exterior dimensions? (edited

Post by Blue~Go »

I hope someone can supply that info and you can get on the plane!

I have a '99 so can't help. But just to mention one thing: I no longer have my roof AC on, but when I did I think the upward "loops" on the top of the ladder were the same height or possibly higher (they project above the roof kind of like the loops on a poolside ladder - convenient but high). That's totally changeable though by modifying the ladder (and the 18+ may not even have those loops), but I just figured I'd mention it in case someone includes that in the maximum height on what you're looking for.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the 18+ is lower. No top "wedding cake" tier, likely no roof A/C, etc. Even the back door has always seemed closer to the ground to me in photos (fewer entry steps). Here's hoping!
1999 Concourse
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

If I am the seller, I would definitely go out to the rig and measure it, and tell you the actual height. You don't want one of us to give you an answer, and find out that the rig you are going to get have some modification that make it not match the published value.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
oldcarguy

Post by oldcarguy »

In the past I've found that sellers frequently aren't all that motivated to be overly helpful, especially if they're not "enthusiasts" and are just trying to get rid of whatever vehicle it is that they're selling - not sure I'd trust info I got from a seller that's hundreds of miles distant.

Best case would be to find an early 1st gen unit relatively nearby that I could measure myself, but in the last 4-5 months of monitoring CL and the web in general, zero 71-75 Chinooks have surfaced anywhere near the Sacramento area.