Chinook RV Forum

It is currently December 14th, 2017, 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Propane Tank Leak
PostPosted: December 6th, 2017, 5:54 pm 

Here is my story...
Working a lot on the Chinook I've been under it and have smelled propane. at first I thought it was the fitting where the gauge mounts to, but after soaping it I found it was the weld to the tank that holds the gauge port. After a lot of research I found that the tank that was used on the coach was a Manchester 18.9 gal, Catalog 6820. It's a 12X42 horizontal ASME tank that is built for lower quadrant fittings, that why we don't see much of the tank and the fill port is very low.
I tried to find one on line so it would be a bolt up, no such luck.. There is a smaller one out there but I think the mounting would be different and I'd hate to reduce the capacity. I called Manchester and the good news was they still make the tank, the bad news was they won't sell to a PP nor will their distributors, you have to go to a RV retailer and by the time everyone gets their mark up and shipping it's $1,100 !! and 6-8 weeks lead time.
I've disconnected the tank as propane was leaking under the coach and that's not a good thing.
I've researched online for any tank like this in inventory or at a salvage yard and no luck again, I guess I'm stuck and cold...
Any Ideas before I say order it??

background-color: #C1CAD2

Post subject: Re: Propane Tank Leak
PostPosted: December 6th, 2017, 6:13 pm 

Good luck on your pursuit of a remedy to your situation. Keep us posted.

PostPosted: December 6th, 2017, 9:56 pm 

You might be interested to read another thread which involved, IIRC, one of the fill ports or some other part on our tanks. I think it was Skillet's tank. Long story short, same type of deal, where a call to Manchester revealed the part number, but you have to order through a distributor, etc. etc.

At the time I thought I might be having some trouble with the shut off level dohickey inside my tank, so I tried to get the part through PPL but was never successful. On the other hand the problem turned out to be, from what I could tell, clueless fill employees, and so I didn't continue searching. Skillet was able to get the part he needed through his RV place that was working on the tank, as I remember.

Might not be same part, but the discussion might be useful anyway. I'll see if I can dig it up and come back and add a link.

Okay, here it is:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=328&hilit=skillet+propane+tank

BTW, speaking of the low-hanging ports, I have found that some places have a hard time getting the long filler schnozzle thingie on and off the tank, because the place they have to attach it is low and angles down, causing the schnozzle to want to hit the ground as they try to attach/detach it. I found that if I run the three right-side tires up on a few Lynx blocks that helps. Even better, when I went to a "real" propane place they have a soft, hose-like extension they can use instead of the rigid filler nozzle itself - works perfectly. Now that I don't have a propane fridge anymore, I can usually fill up there for the year and not have to deal with the other places :)

PostPosted: December 7th, 2017, 2:04 am 

Google around for "propane tank repair".

I'd call local propane tank suppliers to see if they know someone who can fix it.

Also call RV repair places to see if they can fix it, or perhaps have a used one of similar shape / capacity.

For that matter, call local welders. They've likely done gasoline tanks and maybe big home LP tanks. It's all the same thing: purge the tank, weld it, done.

---

Plus Google for a similar size ASME tank. For example, Amazon sells the 14x40 version (6828) for $540 with Prime shipping:

https://www.amazon.com/Manchester-14-40 ... B00HTN3GSY

That page also has selections for smaller models. Might have to make up some simple attachment adapters if you don't want to drill new floor holes.

Oh. Hmm. The 6820 is L45. 6828 is SF. SF = Side Fit (valves are 90 degrees on the horizontal line on the side of the tank). L45 = Lower 45 (valves are in the lower 45 degrees below horizontal line). Something to watch / account for.

Kev

Last edited by kdarling on December 7th, 2017, 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: December 7th, 2017, 3:58 pm 

Well I made a decision...
Nobody wanted to deal with repairing a RV tank, even though it is ASME, also there was a fair amount of rust and bubbles, who knows if another leak might come up,,
I purchased a Manchester #6817 off Amazon for $504, it'll be here Monday
The differences are #6820 12X42, 18.9 WC, 15.1 LP Cap, L45 fittings
#6817 12X32 14.1 WC, 11.3 LP Cap, L45 fittings
The mounting spacing horizontally are different but fortunately the brackets are not bolted to the frame but wrap around the frame and are movable.I'll have the tank purged and primed with LP before I mount it. Also got a new snap on gauge with wires for remote reading.
I'm losing a little under 4 gals of LP but I'm sure I'll have plenty for a occasional 3-5 day boondocking, especially in the summer when all I need is the refrig. and an shower. Otherwise can refill a little more often.
I didn't want to wait until the end of January for the 6820 and be held ransom.. "The Mountains are Calling"
Thanks for the input!!