Wheelin'

Travels and adventures.
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Wheelin'

Post by 68camaro »

Rokrover wrote: August 10th, 2018, 6:44 pm Great eye for detail there, Scott. Backing up that doubly-articulated road train would indeed be a challenge on a narrow trail.

I now digress a little to introduce my 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk as fine example of capable off roader. It has fully independent air suspension with ride height adjustment, hi-lo range and torque bias management through an active transfer case, limited-slip rear differential and selective braking. It’s far more comfortable than my old Jeep Rubicon. There’s even enough room to sleep in the back with seats folded but that’s a little too spartan after being spoiled by a Chinook.

Any downside? Well, the GC Trailhawk’s systems are under computer management so it’s a smart drive-by-wire vehicle that takes most decision making away from the driver and is very expensive to diagnose and fix. I’ve had two recalls already for the software level of the ECM/PCM to be re-flashed with an upgrade. There’s even talk of automatic updates via satellite while you drive!

Me, I’m thankful for an old-school Chinook where you can do basic mods like springs, shocks and wheels yourself without an advanced computer engineering degree and not risk being hacked out on the road by some malicious computer whiz.
You'll love the Trailhawk, I have a 2014 Overland, 3.6L, Max. Steel, QTII, QL, Nitto Terra Grappler G2 - 275/55/20, Treds model 1100, RRO - Super Rock Rails, WK2 Skid Plate Package, Chief Products - WK2 Lower Front Guard, Transmission and Sump Protection Plate
Mopar Front Axle Guard and Transfer Case Guard.

These rigs are super capable but I am glad I got the lifetime warranty because between recalls and warranty work my WK2 has been in shop at least 12 times in 140,000 miles. I did a one-on-one three day 4x4 class with Overland outfit that trains military and we pushed the Jeep hard, instructor knew these Jeeps were uber capable but he was even surprised we got through a couple obstacles. In one the computer would not let me run RPMs up to 1500+ to jump out of hole, so we had to manipulate controls to get same effect, had the computer been less controlling we would have made it out quicker.

However, even though I love my Jeep Grand Cherokees I recently bought a Chinook Concourse. The Jeep is great but I wanted the creature comforts of home in small package and get out of a tent. The Chinook will never go where a Jeep can but I don't need it to, I just need it to get me to fishing holes and spend the night in comfort.
2001 Concourse XL Lounge model, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I'm out in the (2WD) boonies with no reception whatsoever (made a drive out a half hour or so to check weather and fire reports; so of course had to check in here too :))

Very interesting thread. May it continue! Rokrover, I agree with Scott: Nothing wrong with a rant in the right place, but your post(s) were just your experienced opinions. Very readable.

I've been towing a small AWD car with reasonable clearance. It IS nice to be able to park the Chinook in a reasonably out-of-the-way spot, but then go further with something more nimble and less consequential if something happens. Also makes a great "gear locker" and general transport to trailheads etc.

BUT, it does change the Chinook experience. No more "everything is in one place," "taking the house to the grocery or laundry," and, most importantly to me, it changes the Chinook travel to more of a straight shot to the next spot. In other words, I'm not going to take the Chinook+tow car down that one-lane forest road (mostly because, to my annoyance, you cannot back up a towed car - not a skill thing, but it causes the car's front wheels to caster over and damages things). That is something I find to be a big disadvantage.

OTOOH, I explore a LOT more places in the car than I would take the Chinook. And suddenly a day trip is a really fun thing and I can come back to camp and there is the comfy Chinook waiting for me. But then why not have a bigger, more comfortable RV? Well, I can still "make a U-ey" in a lot less space, even towing, than my buddy with a bigger setup.

So as in most things RV (and boat, and life)..... there is no perfect answer. OTOH, I can take or not take the car on any given trip. Chinook + Trail bike/bicycle might be a good compromise (although less of a gear locker).
1999 Concourse
Rokrover

Post by Rokrover »

Went wheelin’ today on a day trip with my son on some old ranch and mine roads up into the Whetstone mountains. We are not part of any organized 4x4 club and were just out exploring in his Jeep Wrangler Rubicon for some quality father-son time off the beaten path. Naturally I used the opportunity to visualize the Chinook in similar circumstances after participating in this forum thread.

So the first photo shows a fairly level rocky section where a Chinook could pass after picking a line to avoid the worst boulders. But after that there were several washed out sections that required judicious wheel placement where a Chinook would quickly ground out on the steep approach/departure angles.
Attachments
A Chinook could ease over this section
A Chinook could ease over this section
Ted C. / SW Arizona
"The Blue Chook" 2002 Concourse Owner: 2013-2019
Rokrover

Post by Rokrover »

This second photo shows a difficult section, even for a Jeep, climbing out of a boulder strewn creek bed onto a narrow dirt uphill. This section topped out around a blind corner, so my son walked it first to be sure the trail continued safely. It did, but soon became a narrow shelf road contouring around a steep hillside. The ravine below held the wreckage of a vehicle as mute testimony to the penalty for any error in judgement.
Attachments
Things get a bit more difficult from here
Things get a bit more difficult from here
Ted C. / SW Arizona
Rokrover

Post by Rokrover »

This last photo shows where we called it quits in the Jeep, as this was the only turnaround spot after mechanical trouble surfaced. A Chinook would barely fit here, even in the unlikely event it could be maneuvered sideways like this. There was a 500’ drop into a canyon below the grassy edge.

We parked then continued on foot up to the summit on the skyline after the clutch throwout bearing in the Jeep failed with a characteristically loud screech. Definitely a bad place to be marooned, so we had to count on being able to drive back out with minimal clutch usage. Luckily it was downhill most of the way.

I close with some tips gleaned from this adventure that are equally relevant to wheelin’ in a Chinook:

1. Have a good map (my son used satellite imagery)
2. Know your vehicle’s capability (esp. ground clearance) and mechanical condition
3. Survey dubious sections on foot to pick a line before proceeding
4. Have a spotter to call out obstacles (e.g. boulders, deep trenches)
5. Inform others of your plan and expected return time
6. Carry sufficient water and food. We were beyond cell coverage and miles from any civilization
7. Inactive mine roads are definitely more hazardous than maintained Forest Service roads
8. Be insensitive to inevitable scrapes and dings
9. Chinooks, even rare 4x4 collector's items, would soon get into trouble in the depicted terrain
Attachments
Mechanical troubles stopped us here
Mechanical troubles stopped us here
Ted C. / SW Arizona
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

Awesome!

Great post, and thanks for the contribution. Except now the envy is starting to sting a little :oops: . What a kick!

Thanks for the list; it's useful, practical information. If I can add one item: at this level it's a good idea to go with another party if feasible. Mechanical failures happen. If you have a buddy in another truck, you can abandon a broken rig and get back to base without a long hike. Return later with parts and tools, and hopefully get out OK. But I see your points clear as day. Navigating pointy rocks in a Chinook is a little tense. Sorry, tires. I have various videos, but the profane audio relegates them to private screenings only :lol: .
1994 Premier
Rokrover

Post by Rokrover »

Valid points there, Scott. We prefer to travel solo to avoid the dust pall thrown up by convoys. I agree having a backup vehicle in the boonies is a good safety factor. A mountain bike at least ;)

Your other point about tires is well taken. Tire loading in a Jeep is far less than a Chinook. You can safely air Jeep tires down for more traction in sand. Rocks pose a blowout hazard, especially with a Chinook where axle/tire loading is near the safe maximum. I wouldn’t air them below 65/60 front/rear.

I can easily see a Chinook rear tire bearing excessive load hopping over a pointy boulder while it’s partner is suspended in the air. Then sidewall cords can tear leading to blowout.

Finally a good tool kit is wise, sufficient for a tire change at least. At the other extreme, power tools and jacks to wrestle a Jeeps’s clutch out in the field are too heavy to cart about all the time. Like everything, it’s a matter of compromise for likely scenarios.

Cheers,
Ted C. / SW Arizona
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Rokrover wrote: August 14th, 2018, 3:21 pm The ravine below held the wreckage of a vehicle as mute testimony to the penalty for any error in judgement.
That image is so well described I could "see it," and feel the goosebumps. Great info for the thread in your series of posts.
1999 Concourse
Rokrover

Post by Rokrover »

The attached picture shows the skeletal remains of the errant vehicle, centered just under the tree branches. The wreck is better seen zoomed in but I wanted to get the wide-angle shot including rather hostile terrain to provide context.

I didn’t post this picture before Blue~Go’s comment because of an apparent limitation on file sizes. The tedious workaround of multiple replies to my own post for another image is sure to wear out any welcome here.

Kdarling has also mentioned running into a file size limit when trying to upload pdf’s. I couldn’t find an answer in the FAQ section under attachments, so I’ll be interested in the official reply.

For now it’s “over and out” then until the next Wheelin’ adventure, this time in our “Blue Chook” for more direct forum relevance.
Attachments
P1000030.jpg
Ted C. / SW Arizona
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Post by 68camaro »

Scott wrote: August 4th, 2018, 11:02 am

Then ... I reached a washout that I couldn't pass. Too narrow, and too much exit angle for the Chinook's huge rear overhang, which is my primary limitation. So I had to reverse about 100 yards before I could turn around; that's fun on a one lane rocky trail with dense trees flanking both sides. Should have done more scouting on foot. :|
Approach and exit angle concerns are why I am having lift done (front complete - rear this week), I am not going 6" but to help with drainage shelves I carry 2 maxtrax types recovery treads (I use treds), I may go to 4. These can be used as bridges or to soften approach/exit angles. Due to weight of rig I would think you need to double up the recovery tracks.

I have not used with Chinook yet but will look to test once lift work done.
2001 Concourse XL Lounge model, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis.