Wheelin'

Travels and adventures.
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Wheelin'

Post by Scott »

My rig is on dirt roads all the time, and after a long cruise on a challenging trail last week, I think I've met the off-road limits of my Chinook. The hitch hit the dirt a couple times, but nothing happened. The dump port is pretty vulnerable, but it was fine; I'd like to put a camera there. I have a Bronco 4x4 oil pan on the transmission, and it hangs down a couple inches more than before, but that was never a problem.

Then ... I reached a washout that I couldn't pass. Too narrow, and too much exit angle for the Chinook's huge rear overhang, which is my primary limitation. So I had to reverse about 100 yards before I could turn around; that's fun on a one lane rocky trail with dense trees flanking both sides. Should have done more scouting on foot. :|

None of this would have phased my pickup, but it was a handful at times in the Chinook. I had to be very careful about the exhaust crossover under the engine, the hitch, and the dump port. Precision positioning is required to get around the larger rocks, and it's more challenging with duallies. It was dry so I didn't need more traction, but I certainly could have used more clearance, although that would not help the differential housing. I didn't reach my target destination, but still had a great time and found an outstanding spot.

From the photo, it looks like nothing, but it was deep and narrow. I would need at least a six inch lift to get past this. I wish I had more photos of the nasty bits, but I was concentrating on other things.
Attachments
1.jpg
Last edited by Scott on August 4th, 2018, 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
1994 Premier
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Wheelin'

Post by Scott »

Having a hard time with photos. Only one per post.

The Chinook is the little white rectangle. Squint ;)
4.png
1994 Premier
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

This is the river down the hill from where I stayed.
5.jpg
1994 Premier
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

Last one..
22.jpg
Last edited by Scott on August 18th, 2018, 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1994 Premier
SMan

Post by SMan »

Great pics Scott. Thanks for sharing!
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Post by 68camaro »

Real nice Scott, is your rig stock? What tires are you running?
2001 Concourse XL Lounge model, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis.
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

Thanks Steve!

Camaro, the trires right now are X Fit 225/75 10 ply all terrain. They're great so far. Not loud, and they hold a decent balance for what they are (a bit chunky). Mud, snow, sand, rocks, and they don't even hate me yet. I've been stuck a few times in sand, but I blame myself, not the machine or tires. Next set of shoes will be the ones b6fischer has.

No, the rig is not stock. But none of my misconducted modifications would influence off-road prowess, so within the scope of this thread, yeah it's stock. The diff is open, and will soon be replaced with an air locker; number 27 on the list of things to sort. Winch is #28.
1994 Premier
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Post by 68camaro »

Scott wrote: August 4th, 2018, 8:09 pm Thanks Steve!

Camaro, the trires right now are X Fit 225/75 10 ply all terrain. They're great so far. Not loud, and they hold a decent balance for what they are (a bit chunky). Mud, snow, sand, rocks, and they don't even hate me yet. I've been stuck a few times in sand, but I blame myself, not the machine or tires. Next set of shoes will be the ones b6fischer has.

No, the rig is not stock. But none of my misconducted modifications would influence off-road prowess, so within the scope of this thread, yeah it's stock. The diff is open, and will soon be replaced with an air locker; number 27 on the list of things to sort. Winch is #28.
So being "open" you don't have a "limited slip diff", if so very impressive for where you have been able to go. Are you looking at air locker for front and back or just back? Any lift in future?

Thanks
2001 Concourse XL Lounge model, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis.
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

Correct. I don't have an LSD. The all terrains and duallies hook up pretty well. The rig is not 4x4, so the air locker would go in the rear. It would be for soft sand and snow. Although I'm on dirt roads often, most of them are rather tame (the last trip was an exception), so if I did a lift, it would be minor.
1994 Premier
pdemarest
**Forum Contributor**

Post by pdemarest »

Hey Scott - where was all this going on?
Paul Demarest
2003 Premier V-10