Having a house built so we’re hitting the road again/still

Real-time updates from forum members actively traveling.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Having a house built so we’re hitting the road again/still

Post by chin_k »

Maine lobsters.... After living in New England for many years, I do not remember I ever ate any :( Now that I moved away, we can find them year round in markets. However, we have fresh Maine-lobster, but not the fresh-Maine lobster. The hyphen indicate the difference between lobster just out of cage, vs. one that was shipped thousands of mile across the continent and put in a chill tank for 6 weeks and barely alive. I guess we never appreciate things until we are not within easy reach for them.

More about fresh lobster. Here in California, I learnt something recently. I saw a sign in a market for fresh lobster, the price was very competitive. $5/lb. I got 4 little ones from the chiller tank, and they charged me $8 per lb. I told them about the sign by the door, and they said the ones moving in the tank are *live* lobsters. The *fresh* lobsters are the dead ones on top of ice. :(
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Xatlatc
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Xatlatc »

BG, The lobster rolls and lobster bisque pictures are my creations in the Chinook. I load my bisque with lobster as seen in this photo.
chin_k, Do California lobsters have claws? Florida lobsters don’t. I bought a few pounds of fresh lobster meat for $39.00 a pound and some crab at $24.00 per pound. A soft shell lobster runs $5.99 a pound. FYI, it takes 5 to 6 lobsters at 1.25 pounds to make a pound of meat.

Well, with a few pounds of crustaceans in the freezer ( along with a dozen Whoppie Pies ) we left New England without seeing the trees at their peak point nor spotting the elusive beast, but we had a great time. Sounds like another trip is required in the future. It was getting difficult killing time waiting for Mother Nature.
We’ve got six weeks before going back to check on the construction process. Where oh where do we go? Stay tuned.
Attachments
Massive potholes in Pennsylvania
Massive potholes in Pennsylvania
Gas over $3.00 a gallon
Gas over $3.00 a gallon
Crossing the Hudson River
Crossing the Hudson River
Yum!
Yum!
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

As far as I know, all lobster has claws, even those for sale in Florida. Maybe the one you brought there were injured? The lobster we have here are either the Maine lobster, or the Aussie's one. I prefer the Maine lobster, the harder the shell, the better. I know the shell and "blood" is heavy, but surprised that the yield is so low. Maybe if you get all the meat out of the tiny legs, and head portion, the yield would be better?
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

That is SO awesome you made bisque! What a great way to capture all that flavor from the shell and head. And I was suspicious of your rolls! No vendor would be so generous!! :lol: I'm getting hungry. Thanks for all the trip updates.

In our waters, we have California spiny lobster. Their range is just south of Santa Cruz down to Baja. Much like other warm water lobsters (Australian, Caribbean, Floridian, etc.), the CA spiny lobsters do not have large claws like those found in the waters of New England and Eastern Canada. Much of the CA spinys are exported (for really big bucks), and since foreign markets typically prefer the spiny type, relatively more of the Maine lobsters stay stateside (since I last checked, but this fluctuates). Around here, it's actually easier to find live Maine lobster in the markets than CA lobster, and most of the CA lobster in CA is from Mexico. Weird, but true. Commercial fishing starts in five days (not that I'm counting). There is a tiny bit of meat in the legs; I squeeze it out with a rolling pin (wine bottle).
1994 Premier
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Been in California for 20 yrs, I never had any spiny lobster. It can't be better than the Maine lobster, can it? I probably will wish that I had one after I move out of CA.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I don't know if they are anywhere in the US, but I've had "slipper" lobster which is just basically a body.

ALL of your homemade Chinook lobster creations look fantastic!

Now let's see where you wind up next...
1999 Concourse
Xatlatc
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Xatlatc »

Ohio Turnpike: I don’t like paying a toll on a US Interstate, but so it goes in parts of our country. I did like the option of staying at a Service Plaza in separate area designated for overnight RV parking that has electric, paved level sites, potable water when you exit and a dump site. I noticed three or four RV’s come through the parking area and just use the dump station then leave. I paid $20.00 for a site with electric etc. I’d do it again.
Attachments
8C943C9F-3AD3-491B-AF14-5B47BCB82EED.jpeg
All alone
All alone
6F45779A-B42A-4A1C-A0CF-1EB1254D0CCE.jpeg
Xatlatc
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Xatlatc »

Auburn, In: This was a great stop to see art in the form of automobiles. I’ve always thought the Duesenberg was a piece of art with tires. This is the place that made several American made cars including the Duesenburg, Cord and Auburn. The museum is the original sales floor and headquarters building which is on the Historical Society list because of the 1929 Art Deco interior.
Free electric sites across the street in a nicely paved parking lot. I was told that they have a huge car show during the Labor Day week.
Attachments
Art Deco
Art Deco
Gorgeous Duesenberg
Gorgeous Duesenberg
Exterior
Exterior
History
History
Xatlatc
**Forum Contributor**