Glacier Banff Jasper NP 7,000 miles round trip!

Travels and adventures.
Willywalderbeast

Re: Glacier Banff Jasper NP 7,000 miles round trip!

Post by Willywalderbeast »

68camaro wrote: September 10th, 2018, 5:29 pm My original plan was to to get 4x4, but when I looked at cost and do I actually need it I decided against it, it is reassuring to hear your positive history. How does it ride over long distance highway travel?

I had my MorRyde installed today and next stop is to order either Action Van or Weldtec lift, for your Weldtec did you get the 6" Complete System or their Class C 6" system? I was undecided on sticking with their standard blocks or getting the custom leaf springs, since I am having work done on east coast I was thinking of sticking with blocks to start and see how they workout.

Was there a specific reason you went with the custom leaf springs? Lastly, how high is wheel wheel from ground?

Thanks for all the info....
Travels great on long distance highway runs. I still cruise at 70-75mph no problem on the highway. The suspension soaks up bumps much better then the stock setup did.

Not sure there was an “Class C” option when I got my kit. It was just there 6” Baja kit I believe. I went with a custom rear leaf springs because I like running blocks.
chin_k wrote: September 10th, 2018, 8:23 pm I love the mama bear with three clubs. :D

Maybe we can exchange our Chinook since I would love to fly over to CT and hop on one that is ready to go.... however, even though I am out "West," it also took me three days to get to Jasper so I guess it is not going to help you much in term of time saving, so it is probably not going to work for you :(
Not big on the exchange thing sorry. If I had a stock rig then maybe, but with the amount of time and money I have into mine I’d rather not run the risk of something out of my control happening to it. Never mind the fact that it’s a V10 side entry which would be very difficult to replace.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I completely understand, Willywalderbeast. I did not remember yours is a side-entry one. Even if it is a regular rear-entry one, I am sure most people here would treat theirs like a baby, and take great care of it.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
pdemarest
**Forum Contributor**

Post by pdemarest »

Hi Wally - big question: Were you able to drive the "Going to the Sun Road" in Glacier? Curious as I know they have restrictions on length and I'm planning on going to Glacier next year. Would like to do it in our Chinook but worst case I'll rent a car nearby to drive it.

Paul
Paul Demarest
2003 Premier V-10
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I tried last year, but end up using the free shuttle. The NPS booth attendant said my Chinook is slightly longer than 21 ft. He did not outright said no, but mentioned that I *will* be pull over and fined if one of the rangers see me. I think I enjoyed it more with the shuttle than have to drive thru it knowing that I was forewarned.

If you do decided to go to Alaska and visit the Denali, you will have to take the shuttle. We went there (before we have the Chinook), and took the tour all the way to the end of the route. I will say that it is relatively comfortable, and I really appreciate the bus driver (we did not pay the extra to have a real tour guide, but Mik (sic) was as good as any tour guide can be) pointing out the scenery and do the spotting ( :shock: ) for animals. I would not want to drive the entire route myself and missed the various high lights, since I would have to keep every single eyes on my face on the road!
Willywalderbeast

Post by Willywalderbeast »

pdemarest wrote: September 14th, 2018, 1:30 pm Hi Wally - big question: Were you able to drive the "Going to the Sun Road" in Glacier? Curious as I know they have restrictions on length and I'm planning on going to Glacier next year. Would like to do it in our Chinook but worst case I'll rent a car nearby to drive it.

Paul
Yes I did drive the going to the sun road up to Logan Pass from the east entrance with the chinook no problem. The current wild fires in the park actually had the whole west side of the park closed including the going to the sun road.

The National Parks are becoming a love/hate thing for me now. I mostly visit them off season but even so the crowds are getting to be too much. Not to mention we travel with our dogs and almost all of the NP In the states are NOT dog friendly. They are pretty much only allowed in the campground and not on any of the hiking trails. This trip we spent only a couple days in Glacier and then crossed the border since the National Parks are VERY dog friendly in Canada.
pdemarest
**Forum Contributor**

Post by pdemarest »

Sorry for the slow reply - thanks for the info. I haven't been on the forum regularly as I've been putting a trip to New England and Canada together and we leave Saturday. The Chinook will be at home as we're flying there.

You mentioned the bus that goes through Denali was comfortable; are they still using a long school bus or have they upgraded? Alaska is on my radar but probably next year at the earliest.

Paul
Paul Demarest
2003 Premier V-10
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

It was a converted bus back in 2016, so it maybe different now. It was better than a school bus, but not as luxurious as a tour bus. You may want to check their website and maybe make a phone call to confirm. It was fine for me, but YMMV.

Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I was just reading someone's blog who was in Denali this summer. The buses were basically just as you show: Fancyish long school bus type (meaning fancy as school buses go).
1999 Concourse
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Post by 68camaro »

Willywalderbeast wrote: September 10th, 2018, 4:58 pm 33” tires on dodge dually 17” steel wheels.
Are you running spacers on rear tires? If so what size?
2001 Concourse XL Lounge model, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis.