Adding a larger tv help!!

Stuff that goes in your Chinook but isnt really part of your Chinook.
SMan

Re: Adding a larger tv help!!

Post by SMan »

If I was to go with the stow idea i would fashion some type of rails at the TOP of each side of the opening so the the TV could "slide on" allowing for storage underneath. Mounting brackets like Dano shows could then be used but out of the way for storage. That type of brackets are made for hanging over doors and are readily available. Hope this made some sense.(I am not as great at explaining as I am about thinking :lol: :lol: )
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
Dano
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Dano »

Decided to add a photo to this thread in case anyone was doing a TV upgrade...Made a plywood backer board for the 24" extendable TV mount. Upholstered it with old seat back material that was clean. Drilled and screwed it over the old TV hole and mounted the bracket tight! This can hold the old 19" TV in place or the new 40" that will be stored in the overhead cab with a quick mount bracket. In any event, it is ultra rigid and should handle any weight thrown at it with ease. Brown screw head caps camouflage the fasteners as well as anything...Cardboard mockup shows the 40" size...
Attachments
IMG_6195.JPG
IMG_6165.JPG
"Jewels" - '02 Chinook Concourse XL
Hea!

Post by Hea! »

Now that analog is no longer with us, does the existing antenna work with Over The Air Digital TV?
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Post by HoosierB »

Yes, it should (with caveats)... signal boosters recommended for better reception of new digital frequencies...
Link to informative article:
https://www.rvrepairclub.com/article/wh ... n-for-rvs/#
"Wanda" – '01 Chinook Concourse XL V10
SMan

Post by SMan »

Because we are cord cutters I've tried all kind of antenna's. TV's are still broadcast on VHF and UHF frequencies OTA (over the air). The ones they have always broadcasted on. My home tv, on a regular antenna, receives a better signal than my Comcast cable did. Claims of needing special HD antenna are more marketing than anything. We receive over 40 channels a bit north of Seattle. My Batwing antenna in our Chinook also works just fine. The big difference in a digital signal is the "Digital Cliff" effect meaning a poor signal will drop out rather than becoming fuzzy as in the old days.

See the below Antenna Man video. His videos have been a great help in improving my TV reception.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z81ZS1-6QWU

Just to add, the Digital Repack, the effort by the FCC to free up more frequencies for telecommunications (wireless) companies, is forcing most broadcast companies to change the channel they broadcast on and should complete next year all around the country requiring you to rescan to receive stations in your local area. The following video explains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7u7JJKsQSM
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

The good old antennas works fine, and as others said, it is just a marketing to add the word "HD" on the antenna and hope that you will get a new one. The TV stations used the same transmitter they always used, so the same receiver (antenna) can be used. They never install new hardware on the mountain or roof top to do this DTV thing.

The main issue is that the digital signal is more likely to be not usable if the signal is poor. For cassette tape, if you wrinkle the media, the music still plays fine, maybe a bit more noisy. For CD (digital), if you scratch the disk, your music may not work at all. So for those of us who are out in the wood, it is important to get strong signal and this is why a booster or better antenna is necessary to get the signal compare to the old analog TV.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Post by 68camaro »

chin_k wrote: September 6th, 2019, 7:39 am
The main issue is that the digital signal is more likely to be not usable if the signal is poor. For cassette tape, if you wrinkle the media, the music still plays fine, maybe a bit more noisy. For CD (digital), if you scratch the disk, your music may not work at all. So for those of us who are out in the wood, it is important to get strong signal and this is why a booster or better antenna is necessary to get the signal compare to the old analog TV.
Good analogy👍
2001 Concourse XL Lounge model, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis.
daltonbourne

Post by daltonbourne »

What's better than having a flat-screen TV right in my RV? I can enjoy my favorite movies and TV shows right in the small space of the RV. That makes me feel like I'm on a mobile home. Installing a flat-screen TV in an RV is also a simple process. You have the choice of mounting it on the wall or on an existing box. Many TVs today have an ultra-slim design, allowing you to install them on the wall without obstructing traffic or improving RV life. You can check wall stickers placed by the RV manufacturer to identify stud wall locations. Unfortunately, they could be unhelpful if the stickers are not on the spot where you want to install your television.