Common cause of water leaks in the body?

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
sm350bl
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Common cause of water leaks in the body?

Post by sm350bl »

Nailed that one Blue, yes it they have goofy bulges in them, I was wondering what they were off of because they weren't the normal van taillight i am used to seeing.
Rich
2000 Concourse 7.3L Powerstroke 4X4
eporter123
**Forum Contributor**

Post by eporter123 »

We had an inch of rain and high winds last night, and I found a few small leaks:

-My taillights leaked a little. I previously added butyl between the gasket and the body, but it looks like water leaked between the gasket and the taillight. So maybe I just need new gaskets of some type in there.

-A few drips from the toilet vent flange. I need to remove & replace/block it off when it's warmer out.

-The little drivers side electric cord door leaked a little. And there's some weird leak on the pass. side fabric covered fiberglass trim piece where the cab meets the body? Maybe that ones from a marker light.

The biggest "leak" was from where I left the main fantastic fan vent cracked an inch or so. My RV roof vent cover was broken, so I removed it. I _guess_ it's worth having one of those? I always think they look a little weird on top, but if they keep the weather out when it's storming, I guess that's a good thing.

All in all, it’s WAY drier than when I got. I've almost gotten all the leak spots.
Last edited by eporter123 on December 18th, 2018, 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Former owner of a 2000 Chinook Premier, V-10, with no Interior...
eporter123
**Forum Contributor**

Post by eporter123 »

Ah, here's that other post about leaks in the rear end...
https://www.chinookrvforum.com/viewtopi ... tyl#p11431
Former owner of a 2000 Chinook Premier, V-10, with no Interior...
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I'm about to wolf down some pizza so this is just brief, but I say there is no "standard" about whether you should have a roof vent cover or not. Personally, I don't like them and don't use them --- but that's not to say everyone should follow my example. Just that they are not a given, IMO.

Why don't I use them?
1) Large and bulky

2) I like to look out my vents (I have clear lids, but even with colored lids you can still see out them when they are open without a cover).

3) I don't like to run the fan in them all the time. A buddy used the vent covers and basically had to run the fan just to get air. Without covers air just flows through most of the time (I will run the fan after a hot day to quickly suck in cool night air through a window).

4) I don't tend to hang around in rainy climates.

But that's just me and my situation. I DO so miss the jalousie windows from my back-in-the-day trailer. You could leave those open 24/7 unless there was an actual monsoon!
1999 Concourse
sm350bl
**Forum Contributor**

Post by sm350bl »

[ I DO so miss the jalousie windows from my back-in-the-day trailer. You could leave those open 24/7 unless there was an actual monsoon!
[/quote]

My 5th wheel has those, and your right , they are awesome. I do leave them open in the rain! :lol:
Rich
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I am jealous of those who can keep their windows open in the rain...
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Post by HoosierB »

Jalousie Jealousy?
Custom window fabrication is possible.
window mod.jpg
(Photochopped mod idea)
"Wanda" – '01 Chinook Concourse XL V10
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

If I were to get new windows, I would definitely look into something like that. OTOH, given the shape of our windows, the slider way does work out well for viewing. I have a feeling I'd end up keeping the sliders but moving the "bar" a bit more forward on the long window so that it would open further. For now I'm keeping my original windows, so I'll just remember the previous jalousies fondly.
1999 Concourse
sm350bl
**Forum Contributor**

Post by sm350bl »

Blue~Go wrote: December 19th, 2018, 8:59 am If I were to get new windows, I would definitely look into something like that. OTOH, given the shape of our windows, the slider way does work out well for viewing. I have a feeling I'd end up keeping the sliders but moving the "bar" a bit more forward on the long window so that it would open further. For now I'm keeping my original windows, so I'll just remember the previous jalousies fondly.
Does your window not slide open all the way on the left side long window?? Mine doesn't either but I just thought that was mine cause that seemed silly to not open all the way. can you just move the bar stop so it can open more?
Rich
sm350bl
**Forum Contributor**

Post by sm350bl »

chin_k wrote: December 19th, 2018, 8:20 am I am jealous of those who can keep their windows open in the rain...
:lol:
Rich