Awning inspected

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
Astrodokk

Awning inspected

Post by Astrodokk »

Well it looks like my awning is in good shape but I dont think its the original one and it doesn’t quite roll up and shut right. Maybe I can adjust the attached telescoping crank arms since there are set bolts there, because when it’s all the way open and can’t crank anymore, those arms are not straight as in pic.
Allows it to sag.
When it’s shut, there’s only a minor gap so I’m not too worried about it.
I read that the awnings should be ZipDee, but this one is Horizon.
Still, it works fine.
Attachments
F8506E26-3374-4D64-895F-7511577BA25F.jpeg
0D217625-1637-4E68-AE17-08E26553E151.jpeg
2000 Ford E350 415CI/6.8L V-10 Triton Chinook Concourse XL Club Lounge
Astrodokk

Re: Awning inspected

Post by Astrodokk »

Two more pics of the unstretched arm and exterior.
Attachments
A3E0850B-87C5-498C-B4AF-9AA7838AFDC7.jpeg
9A621601-3585-479A-A1F2-E830D7510941.jpeg
Astrodokk

Post by Astrodokk »

By the way, I found an extra crank that the pin broke and they put a small bolt through it. Seems to function well.
Attachments
image.jpg
Astrodokk

Post by Astrodokk »

One more thing, the generator door can’t stay open with it’s opener because the awning latch is in the way.
Who the hell designs these things?
So I’ll probably use a rubber band or something to hold it open.
Additional weight again. Every miligram counts.
Attachments
image.jpg
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

That looks like the stock Awning to me. The A&E/Horizon/Dometic is a re-branded Fiamma. F45 if I remember correctly.

The one thing that looks off to me is.... why are the body feet mounted so high up? Maybe there is a reason, but mine are much lower down. Which I think puts a better angle on the legs, and also means the generator door can open. I'll post some pics of where mine are. (Also see note below about awning placement - is yours further forward than others?)

When my (same) awning is out, it's nice and tight, not saggy. That may be an adjustment between the length of the legs (they are adjustable) and the amount you crank it out (you don't have to crank it out all the way).

Many parts are still available from Fiamma (they still make the same basic awning but a newer model). However, back before the amazing knowledge base of long-term employees at Fiamma were all murdered (they were truly wonderful folks), they told me to take care of the "flamingo legs" because that is one part you cannot get anymore. I lube them with a dry lube (I use Mclube Sailkote). I did buy new end caps and new versions of those red plastic brackets that hold the legs in when it is stored.

BTW, the flamingo legs aren't necessarily meant to straighten out. Also btw, there is a third (middle) "rafter" you can use for extra support if you are deploying all the way.

What should happen when you close it is it clicks up into place, and two little red tabs suck in (right at each end where the part of the tube you are closing meets the part that stays up by the roof). I have found that some awnings need a little push (on the bottom of the movable tube) as you are cranking right at the end in order to "hop up" onto the part that makes the thing close and the red tab move. There is an adjustment you can make --- it's not supposed to require that push or the "hop up." I wonder if yours needs the push as it sits now in order to close correctly.

I'll go dig up some photos of my foot brackets. BTW, of the original white plastic ones on mine, one was broken. They don't make that style anymore so I replaced them both with the newer style (fit same holes).

A last tip: When I first used my awning, the little metal feet at the bottom of the legs were bent. Well hmmph, I thought, and carefully straightened them (it did seem odd, as I could tell the awning had basically never been used). It only took about five minutes for me to figure out that Chinook had bent them slightly on purpose: After straightening the bottom part could touch the fiberglass body curve when in the bracket. I re-bent them :oops:
Last edited by Blue~Go on January 19th, 2019, 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1999 Concourse
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

PS: Your foot brackets also look further to the right to me. Maybe your whole awning is mounted further forward? Obviously the feet have to line up (forward/aft dimension) with the ends of the awning.

Anyway, these are pics of another Chinook (better pics than I have of mine) but the awning is mounted just like mine. Then a stock photo of the new brackets (from the web). No need for those if yours are not broken though.

This is a 2001 Concourse. The awning and foot placement look just like mine.
2001 blue with awning out.jpg
new bracket from web.jpg
new bracket from web.jpg (9.03 KiB) Viewed 2115 times
1999 Concourse
Astrodokk

Post by Astrodokk »

Yes it seems that my awning has been mounted a few inches too forward, and the leg mounts too high, not taking into consideration the genny door.
I think eventually I will take it in and have an RV shop reinstall it correctly.
I cranked the awning out until the crank ratcheted but the arms didn’t go any further, so they stayed under extended. And that’s why it looks flimsy and saggy, not tight.
I do have the center arm as well. Can it be stowed somewhere on the awning when rolled up or do I have to bring it inside all the time.
Thanks for those pics. They will help when I have it reinstalled.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

That placement is a little unusual.

You know, I wonder if it was ordered without an awning and someone added it later? They might have put it in a slightly different place vs. the Chinook pattern (looks to be about 6" forward, which causes different foot placement. That's maybe a little awkward, but OTOH it covers more of the dining window.

I'm still a little confused about the sagginess. Is the fabric still billowy like that if you wind it in slightly vs. full out? I think that may help. The flamingo arms are what tension it I believe. I would lubricate those flamingo legs since they are unobtanium (although you CAN buy a whole new Fiamma F45+).

By the way, here is what the Fiamma FAQ says about the Flamingo legs (officially called "lateral arms"). They should not be straight ever.

Q - Are the spring loaded lateral arms supposed to be straight when the awning is fully extended?

A - No. The lateral arms are designed to have a slight bend in them even when the awning is fully extended. NO DOT PUSH ON THE LATERAL ARMS TO ATTEMPT TO STRAIGHTEN THEM WHEN THE AWNING IS FULLY EXTENDED. This will damage the arms and your awning will not close properly.

The third rafter has to be stored separate from the awning. I actually have not used mine, but I don't put my awning WAY out, nor do I put it out in the rain. And it's not that big an awning.
1999 Concourse
Astrodokk

Post by Astrodokk »

You're right, it's not that big...don't know why they even bothered unless it gives at least a little sun relief when needed.
it would be nice to have a sort of tent room that attaches to the rear of the rig, so that I can open the door and have an extra sun room there. I know people do that with side entrance vans.
Anyway, I'm relieved that the lateral arms are supposed to have a bend in them. I would not say mine are slight, but that may be their definition.
So why the sag? Could it be that the lateral arm is in the wrong position? Maybe it should be farther to the edge? There are adjustment set bolts there that I can move laterally. I'll have to do it when there's more light. It's starting to rain now.
Astrodokk

Post by Astrodokk »

Where the yellow arrow is...
Attachments
C7ABE0EB-4364-43B4-9227-58BD23C11E67.jpeg