Paddling Boats

Stuff that goes in your Chinook but isnt really part of your Chinook.
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Paddling Boats

Post by deppstein »

I just took a look on map to see where Alpacka Rafts is located...damn! We went right past it on our last fall trip. Oh well.
I’m not going to be much help on PFD recommendations. For almost 20 years, I have used my old MTI (don’t even know the model type) for everything water—Sunfish, regular sailboats, canoes, kayaks). Looking at the current models, it looks most like the “Java.” Works well for me...no complaints. Besides, more than half the time it is sitting in the cockpit. I wear it only when the wind is blowing or the water is running fast enough to give me pause.
David
eporter123
**Forum Contributor**

Post by eporter123 »

I grew up using a Klepper Aerius II folding kayak that my parents had. Now I have one, but it rarely gets used. It's a big boat, holds two adults and plenty of gear, and even has a sailing kit. They've been sailed across the Atlantic, and varied military have used them. Pretty cool design, it's all marine plywood ribs and ash parts with slick connections. Breaks down into a few big bags. Nowhere near as small/light as a packraft, but you could really cover some ground with one. They made a single version, too.

Packed Dims:
52”x 14”x 10” -Frame
29”x 28”x 10” – Hull
30”x 15”x 12”- Ribs (oval)
klepper2.jpg
klepper3.jpg
Former owner of a 2000 Chinook Premier, V-10, with no Interior...
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Those are functional works of art! Many years ago a friend inherited one. No instructions and no Internet, but we figured it out. Sadly, the canvas was shot and it wasn't something he could afford to replace. But I still remember those plywood frames - they were just beautiful. Light, functional and nicely finished. Back then one didn't usually see the "edge grain" of plywood (Must Cover With Veneer!) but theirs showed and it was perfect and even and smooth.

Actually, now I can't remember if it was a Klepper or a Folbot but I think they are the same concept.

Anyway, cool that you have one! Another boat I'd like to try out :D
1999 Concourse
eporter123
**Forum Contributor**

Post by eporter123 »

I bought a single Klepper off local Craigslist for $50. It's in rough shape, the hull is shot, but I mainly bought it to put together the frame and hang it up on the back deck with another wood kayak frame I have. Neat things to look at, for sure. Just one more project in the pile...
Former owner of a 2000 Chinook Premier, V-10, with no Interior...
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

$50 is a great deal! I see a Klepper Aerius for $300. Is it a good deal for me if I only want to use it to paddle around with my wife or one of my kids on the bay?
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I think Kleppers are really cool, but unless you specifically need that type of folding kayak, I wonder if something else wouldn't be better. Kleppers have a lot of parts, the skin can wear out, etc. What do you think, eporter, am I on the right track with my doubts?

As far as "what else," for chin_k: Can you describe you usage, transport, and storage scenario a bit better? What bay? Where can you keep or transport one, etc.

One thing to keep in mind is the other things that go along with it: Lifejackets for all, paddle(s), maybe water shoes or neoprene booties, etc. Also a rack (but that can be super simple/cheap).

That said, I've had a lot of boats, and my opinion is it's hard to beat a kayak or canoe (or nowadays maybe a SUP too) for fun-per-least-hassle and fun per dollar. They are just great. Most nowadays need virtually no time spent on them and are just pure enjoyment. Once you buy them and the associated gear you are pretty much done spending money (unless you want to).
1999 Concourse
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

We are close to Newport Bay, where the river drain into the Pacific Ocean, and there are many people who use kayak and SUP there. We also go camping in past few years where there is a lake or reservoir for people to put their boat in. I was thinking that if we get a kayak, it would add a new dimension to our activities. I like the idea of something that we can break down and bring with us since I need the rack for bikes.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

CA reservoir yawn. But it's January and we're swimming :)
uygoi.jpg
1994 Premier
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

chin_k,

Oh absolutely! Just getting out on the water, even in a "crappy" boat is a whole 'nother world. I would take the ol' Sevylor Tahiti over no boat in a heartbeat. Heck, a log :D I mean, assuming you like being on the water at all. The shoreline/water interface is especially interesting, IMO, and it's usually more accessible from the water side.

If you aren't already a paddle snob, so much the better :lol: An inflatable is easy to stow and carry, and you won't know it paddles "badly." (Sure, if you have a way to carry hard boats and want them, they are super fun too.)

If you want to delve into options, well, you have already spoken some of where. Things I'd be looking at:

1) What sort of water temps? Are these boats you want to swim from? Boats you want to keep you OUT of cold water? Both?

2) Who's going to be using it or them? Dogs, kids, more than one person per boat?

3) What kind of water (sounds like calm sheltered water is what you have in mind). But there is whitewater, open water, sheltered water, slow moving rivers, etc.

4) Any specific activities? (Fishing, photography, etc.)

5) What sort of options do you have to carry it along with (Chinook storage, Chinook roof, car roof, etc.) Also where to keep it when not using it?

6) Budget preferences.

7) What is your tolerance level for amount of time it takes to get ready and also to put things away?

Well, you get the idea. Not that there is one right answer, but there are certainly boats that do better at one thing than another, or are more general or more specific. I'm a big paddle snob, and I love sleek kayaks and fast rowboats. BUT, driving the Chinook around I'm having a blast with what amounts to a blob of inflatable fabric :lol: Gets me out on the water, super easy to carry/deploy/store -- just fits my current mission. Other boats fit other missions (and of course the more singular your mission the easier it is to specialize, but sometimes you just want something to do a bunch of things with, even if it's not the best for any one thing).

Or, just grab something and try it if you just want to DO it without much analysis. Don't let my lists keep you from trying something if you just want to give it a go without so much thought (as long as you watch the weather, dress for the combined air and water temp, and have a decent PFD).

BG

PS: If you don't mind some potential sunk cost, you can just buy something cheap and try. I got two different people hooked with the cheapy Sevylor Tahiti. It was cheaper than renting, we were able to go out a few times (and without a time limit or having to do it on one particular day to a schedule), and the cheap companion paddle was kept for a future spare (for the future nicer boat he ended up getting). I had a loaner lifejacket for my friends, and we went in warm air/water so they didn't need a bunch of warm gear. Then when he first got a hard kayak, I just made some roof racks out of 1x that were sort of like giant popsicle sticks with holes drilled near the end that I lashed to his stock car roof rack with line. Then as he decided he was sure he wanted to boat more, he got a nice lifejacket (PFD), good paddle, booties, better roof rack, etc.

Depending on where you are, there may be someone local you can do similar with, just to try it out.
Last edited by Blue~Go on January 25th, 2019, 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1999 Concourse
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Scott,

Looks darned good to me! The weather is not bad where I am, temp-wise, but the endless days of high WIND preclude any boating. It just won't seem to stop :x (Well, that does make it less annoying to be marooned on the couch.)
1999 Concourse