Rear Awning, anyone done it?

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
TheBluebird

Rear Awning, anyone done it?

Post by TheBluebird »

015.jpg
I would LOVE to have a rear awning for my Chinook. Yesterday it rained all day and I had a soggy walk back into the camper after each dog walk. I would like one long enough to extend out over the stairs including a small welcome mat at the base of the stairs. Anyone done this? I know the ladder might be a factor... Here's a photo of the rear of my rig.
Fulltiming in my 2003 Concourse since November 2018.
Blue~Go

Re: Rear Awning, anyone done it?

Post by Blue~Go »

Yours looks basically the same as the typical rear door 21-footer.

I have and haven't done a rear awning. Meaning, that there ARE actual, official rear awnings made for truck campers (they usually have a rear door). The ladder would be an issue, but of course one could remove it and carry a telescoping ladder (um... somewhere). Also, because of the "sporty" dip around the edge of the roof, you might have trouble gaining enough clearance for the door to open. I'm sure something could be done with custom brackets and without the ladder there.

I think one might be able to make the 48" ARB work even with the ladder. I say "might" because there is still the pesky need for the poles to reach the ground while the awning clears the door -- and of course on the rear that can be a long way down depending on parking angle. But I have eyed it up and thought about buying one to try. I think there is a reasonable chance it would work.

I have rigged up a temporary "awning" with shade cloth (I was dealing with sun not rain) and extendable poles plus guy lines. It did work, but in the end I don't like things that make it harder for me to move along, especially when it seems like inevitably someone will come along and park 20' away (in a wide-open boondock) and fire up their generator. If it's too hard for me to pack up and move (or if it feels to hard), then instead I stay and get irritated. And just for shade I can simply put my chair on whichever is the shady side of the Chinook.

But it sounds more like you want an entryway "porch roof." The ARB might do that. I like that it wouldn't need to be stowed somewhere (like my shade cloth and poles did).

Lastly, even "real" awnings all say they are not meant for rain though (I know, seems dumb). I do still see people use them and slope them to one side; probably fine in light rain.

So to summarize: Maybe the 48" ARB, even with the ladder. Or a "real" truck camper awning if the ladder is removed and it can be installed high enough up to clear the door when it is opened.
1999 Concourse
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I think the side entry have this advantage that the door is under the awning. If you do end up doing it on the rear, make sure the lights on the top is not covered by the awning.

One good thing about RV is that if the weather is getting on your nerve, you can drive somewhere else to get a different type of weather.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Post by HoosierB »

This is something I've been pondering as well.
As Blue mentioned, it appears that some truck camper awnings may work. Several sizes and configurations available. Even a 12v motorized scissor awning without vertical side mounts/supports looks interesting. A big concern would be mounting to the Chinook rear body. Maybe a metal support frame using the rear bumper could be configured to relieve the stress.
rear awning 1.jpg
rear awning 2.jpg
truckin2.jpg
"Wanda" – '01 Chinook Concourse XL V10
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Post by HoosierB »

and....
Scissor style awning for truck camper.
Rear-Awning-Cirrus-Truck-Camper.jpg
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I don't think the stress would be anything to super worry about. After all the regular awning is just screwed (pointy screws) to the body. Not that I think that's a great method, but it would be easy to do a little bit better (machine screws/backing plates). Not saying not to take it into consideration, but I don't see it as a big issue.
1999 Concourse
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Post by HoosierB »

FYI:
The Fiamma F65 Eagle (pictured) is 12v operated, roof mounted using special brackets
33 lbs.
6.6" width
5" projection
approx. $850

I haven't done an accurate measurement, but installing this awning may require removal of the the top curved grab handles of the Chinook's ladder.
I like the convenience factor and "clear" side areas (no stakes to contend with) of this approach.
But from a cost standpoint, the 48" ARB is tuff to beat. I've even seen decent DIY spin-offs made for less than $100.
Rear-Awning-Cirrus-Truck-Camper.jpg
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

Blue~Go wrote: February 4th, 2019, 8:24 pm I have rigged up a temporary "awning" with shade cloth (I was dealing with sun not rain) and extendable poles plus guy lines.
Would you share how you attached this to the shell?

We use a large screen room with poles and guylines when there's rain/ heavy sun/ bugs, and although the setup is easy, the guylines can be a trip hazard, especially at night, despite being reflective. But overall it has been really nice to have.

I don't have an awning, and if the screen room isn't up, I usually just hang out on the shady side of the rig like you said.
1994 Premier
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I tied it to a couple of places on the roof rail (with chafe protection where it went over the roof edge). I might have used part of the ladder top hoop. I think there was a spring clamp involved on the ladder side. Not too glamorous. If I thought I'd have used it more, I was considering either a pair of Sea Suckers for mounts (on the roof), or possibly glassing on a ring or something. I think the extra height afforded by the Sea Suckers might have been handy.

The poles were some telescoping aluminum ones I got from REI (happened to be orange aluminum). They get pretty tall so it could clear the door opening. Then just some shade cloth with grommets. I then let a "flap" of shade cloth hang down on the aft side for an extra "wall" when desired. Because the shade cloth lets some wind through, I didn't have to take it down at the slightest puff. OTOH, you can't drive the Chinook away and leave it there.

I did also try a couple of screen tents and EZ up type things, but they were always too low to really "blend" as a back door porchy thing (because of the back door being so high). I ended up deciding that trees, boulders, or the shady side were easier and more practical, but then I'm not one to set up an elaborate camp -- I kind of like to keep it all ready to roll. I consider it a commitment if I put out a chair :lol:
1999 Concourse
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

HoosierB wrote: February 6th, 2019, 9:43 am
I like the convenience factor and "clear" side areas (no stakes to contend with) of this approach.
But from a cost standpoint, the 48" ARB is tuff to beat.
Also depending on conditions where you like to camp. I consider the stakes and lines a plus, because they allow it to withstand a bit more wind. Maybe the Eagle is automatic, but in the desert that would be going in every five minutes! Actually, that's a problem with any awning (wind). But if camping in deep woods, then probably not an issue.

What I really want are window awnings (can stay out in all kinds of wind), but that's a different topic.

BTW on an awning with only the one attachment (roof case), I would want a much more substantial backing at the attachments than with the more typical one with "four point" suspension (roof case at both ends plus legs on ground or body).
1999 Concourse