Bearing slide, full extension drawers for under the stove cabinet with drawings...

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
Dano
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Bearing slide, full extension drawers for under the stove cabinet with drawings...

Post by Dano »

Alright! Cut all boards to length and then ran them through the table saw to cut the rabbeted edges to accept the plywood bases. Did the quicker and dirtier full cut which will create openings along the corners which needs to be filled with blocks to cover them. I glued them in and still need to trim and sand them off, they won't be noticeable when finished. Cut the leftover plywood I had to the right sizes and glued and nailed them in place. 1/4" ply is overkill and 1/8" would have been plenty but free is free.
I didn't spend time time cutting dovetail joints or doing anything "too" fancy, just simple butt joints and glue, just fast and simple but sill clean.
Attachments
5300.jpg
5299.jpg
5297.jpg
Last edited by Dano on March 8th, 2019, 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Jewels" - '02 Chinook Concourse XL
Dano
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Bearing slide, full extension drawers for under the stove cabinet with drawings...

Post by Dano »

This little pot set came with the Chinook and the height appears just about perfect! Final images show a fast mockup in place and the drawers fit in both length and width, so it's onto the bearing slides. Unfortunately, they don't arrive for another day so I guess it's on to filling a couple of tiny nail holes and trimming the filler blocks and possibly getting my side pieces and panels cut to fit. All in all, I'm excited to see how this all works out but so far so good :D
Attachments
5303.jpg
5301.jpg
5302.jpg
Dano
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Dano »

All holes filled, glued in the corner blocks. A couple of edges are out 1/16" but a few passes with some sandpaper and everything will look really nice. I'm liking where this is going :D
Attachments
6155.jpg
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Dano,

I'm sorry to hear about your Mom. Losing a mom is a huge bummer. In my case, although my Mom is also gone, it was the carpenter I hired who had the cancer issue. But of course it had to be when my Concourse was pretty much totally gutted (not that there is a convenient time).

I still have all the new cabinetry. But given the circumstances at the time, I put all the walls and lower cabinets back in (mostly - in place of some of the doors I put in some modular drawers). I had destroyed the upper ones (all 100# apiece :o ) so instead I made some quickie maple ply uppers. Funny part is I like them SO much better than the originals. I didn't put in the new ones because they need to line up with the new walls, so... that's all packed away in storage. Boo. But I still like what I have now better than what I took out, so it's not all bad. Maybe some day I'll find another carpenter or learn how to do it myself.

Now I get why you were keeping the door hardware - you are making those things that are kind of like slide out trays with doors in front of them. Aha.

If you think you lost space with that false wall over the propane lines, you should have seen what the oven did. It's charming and all, but SO MUCH wasted space behind it. Kind of like the microwave. Still, if you want either of them, that's just the way it goes.
1999 Concourse
Dano
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Dano »

Hey, all this effort and I got another few inches so we're both winning a bit! Thanks for the tip and the kind words ;)
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Dano, did you updated the dimensions in the diagrams posted above to account for the extra treasure space? I may copy your plan, and do it one day.... when things around the house/rig stop falling apart. Today is the kitchen sink problem in the house, and the garbage disposal :x
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Dano
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Dano »

No I hadn't but it won't take too long to do so. I'll swap out the dimensions and images with the new ones when I get a chance. I need to make sure mine fit first! :lol:
Dano
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Dano »

Well, as usual, change orders are needed. The original plan of having two side pieces to support the side panel will be difficult to execute. After careful measurements, the carcass is out of level/square so to use my two hidden support pieces will necessitate cutting them on angles and trying to get them to fit and still keep a pretty reveal (edge) on the front panels which will be seen. Didn't like that, so after cutting the side panel to size, I found that there is a mounting edge on the top of the opening that I can screw an L bracket into, see the photo. Each side panel will have 3 L brackets across the bottom edge and one on the front top corner. If I have to, I will add a support bracket across the back. I know, confusing. Once it's done, it will be more obvious and it's actually a simpler install. It will also allow a little side to side wiggle room so the front end edges that will show can be as equal as possible.
Attachments
6151.jpg
Dano
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Dano »

This should be a little clearer with the rough install of the left side panel and top L bracket. Bearing slides will be mounted to each side wall...
If there is any deflection at the top right corner, I will add a support piece between the two sides and that will create enough rigidity I'm sure.

Good news, bearing slides are on their way and will be here shortly! Drawers are fully filled and sanded and look great. Who knows, maybe I get finished today!
Attachments
6153.jpg
Dano
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Dano »

Got my dates mixed up, slides don't arrive until Monday! Oh well, was going to install drawer pulls but then realized that would add length to the drawer, cost to the job and weight to the RV, so decided to simply cut some holes and sand them all down. I like the simplicity a lot. Now, we wait for Amazon...
Attachments
6159.jpg
6158.jpg