Debating removal of dinette - do you miss it?

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
conk1975

Debating removal of dinette - do you miss it?

Post by conk1975 »

I am debating removing both my dinette and what loosely calls itself a couch on the passenger side (photos below) of my 1975 Concourse. Neither are very comfortable and as an upcoming full timer that will become an issue. Considering replacing with twins on both sides. Concerned I will miss the table top. I love jigsaw puzzles.

The other option is to put in what would amount to a nearly full size bed where the dinette is/was. Then place a couple of small recliners across on the passenger side. This is actually becoming my first choice as under the dinette seats are my water and waste tanks. I could leave the frame for the seats as is and then just complete the platform and add a nice mattress on top.

Opinions from much more experienced are much appreciated
Attachments
4BB1BB21-3F4D-424D-9432-AA382195181E.jpeg
B543ADDE-216B-4A48-B2AE-DEA31CF62956.jpeg
BC8B03BF-EB63-41C8-92C8-27CDE6AD9D55.jpeg
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Debating removal of dinette - do you miss it?

Post by 68camaro »

First off beautiful inside of rig, floor an coloring works great. Second, inside is really personal preference, but since you love jigsaw puzzles I would want table if me. As a matter of fact we are home with kids and wife bought puzzle and set up in living room so everyone can go in and work on it throughout the weekend when they want. It's fun to work on together here and there. I really believe you will miss a stable table if you take out.

I have the lounge model and one nice part is table flips up and retracts into slip against wall. Of course we can't bring guests but in reality most all my adventures are me going fishing:)
2001 Concourse XL Lounge model, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis.
Kirah
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Kirah »

I took out my dinette and I don't miss it at all. It was too short to be a comfortable bed, and I never found it particularly comfortable to sit at, either. The storage underneath was hard to use.

I replaced it with a rocking camp chair and a folding table that can be put away when I'm not using it. The extra floor space gives me somewhere to drop bins and bags, and also means there's room for the dog to walk down the aisle when I'm sitting on the couch/bed. It's almost always just me and the dog, though, except for an occasional visitor.

I think replacing the dinette with a full size bed, with a couple of chairs opposite, sounds really nice, but might be a tight fit. Recliners always seem to be bigger than they look, somehow. My mother has been looking for one that will fit in her camper, and we're struggling to find one that will fit through her side door. I'd get really good measurements before I started the demolition :)
1999 Premier, now minus all passenger side cabinets and appliances :twisted:
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Post by HoosierB »

FYI: There are options out there for DIY and store bought portable Jigsaw Puzzle board surfaces for traveling. Keeps the pieces secured when stored. And can be moved, say to a picnic table outdoors.
For keeping a dinette table, the Lagun mount is a cool set up for a table in a small rig like ours. Offers the convenience of a table plus several options for mounting locations/positions/storage.
Lagun mount in RV:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjk-IEIjOkw
Attachments
lagun table mount.jpg
"Wanda" – '01 Chinook Concourse XL V10
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Post by deppstein »

I have to say that both my wife and I love the layout of our 2004 Premier as it came--with the jackknife couch on driver's side and dinette table between two benches on the passenger side. We are not full-timers, but we do take 2-3 six-week trips per year in addition to frequent week-long excursions up and down the east coast, Maine, and VT. Having a real table for dinners (we cook/grill all the time), and the set-up of both couch and table for lounging in the mornings or evenings feels like we have our own little cabin in the woods. And we have gotten very used to converting the space for sleeping...its all about the routine! Yes, an upgrade (DYI) of the couch to memory foam as some have done would, in all likelihood, make the bed a bit more comfortable--but, truth-to-tell, we do just fine by using a couple of REI 2" foam sleeping pads that we keep together by tucking them in with a flannel sheet. During the day, the pads store perfectly in the space behind the couch and wall by deflating them and folding lengthwise. My only complaint with this system is that one of us (that would be me) does have to crawl over the other when going to the bathroom at night. Still, beats a single bed on each side layout that would be the alternative for a rear-entry Rig like ours. All this just goes to prove that the beauty of a layout is in the eye of the beholder!
Now if it were only one of us...that might be a different story.
David
bolerama

Post by bolerama »

Hello! First of all, your interior is so beautiful. The panelled oak of the later models is so oppressive compared to yours.

In response to your question, we did remove our dinette and sofa and do not miss the dinette. We honestly only used it twice. We kept it folded as a bed all the time, but it was a very uncomfortable bed! Here is our thread about the renovation: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1640

We are full timers, spending 6 months per year in our Chinook and the other 6 months in our Airstream. Our renovation is still a work in progress. We have a Lagun table mount, but we still need a table top. That will give us an eating area between the beds. Truly, we only eat inside when the weather is bad.

Later we will decide what to do with all this dark oak, but for now, our new beds are the bees’ knees!

For inspiration, look at all the layouts of Leisure Travel Vans. The Wonder Front Twin beds was our inspiration.

Lisa
2002 Chinook Destiny
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud (full-time home) https://atomicpod.wordpress.com
2008 Airstream International CCD --"Atomic Pod" (gone to a new home)
1973 boler (13' fiberglass egg) --"The Boiler" (gone to a new home)
benrobert

Post by benrobert »

You may simply add an RV dinette mattress topper to your camper bed if your cushions are still adequate but you still want it to be more comfortable.
When choosing a cushioned RV dinette bed topper, memory foam toppers are the most popular option because they offer more relief by conforming to your body shape.
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Post by 68camaro »

conk1975 wrote: November 28th, 2019, 8:17 am The other option is to put in what would amount to a nearly full size bed where the dinette is/was. Then place a couple of small recliners across on the passenger side. This is actually becoming my first choice as under the dinette seats are my water and waste tanks. I could leave the frame for the seats as is and then just complete the platform and add a nice mattress on top.
What you are describing is the Lounge or Club (forgot name) Layout that was an option on our beloved rigs. I love mine, the two recliners are very comfortable and the table can be tilted back and slide down to totally get it out of the way. using swivel chairs make it like home.

Personally I could not see NOT having a fixed or readily available table for use. As a matter of fact I was looking at Earthroamer's layout choices and several include tables that needed to be folded out of way to use full aisle or access cab to living space compartment. For $750k not sure I would like this limitation (and no, I am not in market for Earthroamer).

Here is link to oine for sale with club layout...

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2002-C ... 5021454890
2001 Concourse XL Lounge model, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis.