Adding an outdoor shower to a Premier

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
FatBuoy
**Forum Contributor**

Adding an outdoor shower to a Premier

Post by FatBuoy »

Has anyone done this? I haven’t seen a picture of where it is on a Concourse, so not sure what the setup looks like. Would you have to cut a new hole in the side of the rig and do a whole new compartment installation for one? I’m sure that would be the tough part. The rest would just be plumbing.
2001 Premier aka "Anookie"
Dallas, TX area
Jlfchinook

Re: Adding an outdoor shower to a Premier

Post by Jlfchinook »

Shower is located above spare fire, a few inches above door of rear storage area. Several different ones for sale on amazon. Piping is connected to piping going to sink in bathroom.
2000 Concourse, 2001 premier
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

On my year it's where Jlf's is, above the stock spare tire location. It's in a self-contained hatch you can buy (JR Products or other brand). On later years (maybe around 2001-onward) it's on the driver's side. What they did was stop using the multiple separate hatch doors like we have and put everything in one molded door. It looks nice, but might be a bit crowded.

I'll put out a possible contrarian view since you are mulling it over. I don't really want water puddles or mud just outside my back door; or for that matter, next to the side. So I don't use the outdoor built in shower. That's not to say you wouldn't though. I'm sure many do.

(When I have showered outside, I use either a garden sprayer and adjust the water temp either with sun or with a bit of hot water from the stove -- or sometimes a bucket and a cup. Then I can set up the shower away from my rig.)
1999 Concourse
FatBuoy
**Forum Contributor**

Post by FatBuoy »

Thanks all- I was looking at locations, and instead of cutting a hole in the fiberglass above the storage hatch, how about inside of it? There looks to be a couple of mounting locations in there, and there are some smaller footprint ones on Amazon with a detachable hose. Pop the hatch, connect the hose, and turn on the stream. Loud and clear on the puddles beside the rig. Maybe a longer hose could be used to get some distance. Any reason why this wouldn’t be a viable option? Assuming it’s not butt cold outside, I would much rather take a shower out there in a pop-up tent shower than trying to be a contortionist in the inside shower.
Dallas, TX area
SMan

Post by SMan »

When I installed my rear view camera I had to remove the interior wall of the storage compartment adjacent to the sink to run wires. It opened up access to the entire rear corner. Seems like a good place to consider.
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
FatBuoy
**Forum Contributor**

Post by FatBuoy »

Just reread. Since I have an 01, are you saying that the hole is the compartment on the drivers side is the same on the Concourse? They just used a different bucket that included the shower? Or am I thinking about that wrong?
Dallas, TX area
caconcourse

Post by caconcourse »

FatBuoy wrote: May 27th, 2020, 3:30 pm Just reread. Since I have an 01, are you saying that the hole is the compartment on the drivers side is the same on the Concourse? They just used a different bucket that included the shower? Or am I thinking about that wrong?
In the 2001 Concourse Model year, they consolidated the water, electricity, cable, and (yes) phone hookups, and outdoor shower into a single compartment on the driver side. The compartment is right behind the sink, so access to the plumbing and electricity was easy during construction, not so easy now with the sink and cabinetry in place. If your 2001 Premier has the same access panel, the outdoor shower plumbing is probably stubbed out there, as I believe the outdoor shower was available as an option. On the older models, the bathroom sink provided plumbing access for the shower, so a separate shower compartment was installed above the storage compartment behind the spare tire.

Here are some pictures of my 2001 Concourse hookup compartment with the shower:
Hookup Compartment Location.jpg
Access Door.jpg
Hookup Compartment.jpg
Clay
2001 Concourse
Santa Barbara, CA
FatBuoy
**Forum Contributor**

Post by FatBuoy »

caconcourse wrote: May 27th, 2020, 3:55 pm
FatBuoy wrote: May 27th, 2020, 3:30 pm Just reread. Since I have an 01, are you saying that the hole is the compartment on the drivers side is the same on the Concourse? They just used a different bucket that included the shower? Or am I thinking about that wrong?
In the 2001 Concourse Model year, they consolidated the water, electricity, cable, and (yes) phone hookups, and outdoor shower into a single compartment on the driver side. The compartment is right behind the sink, so access to the plumbing and electricity was easy during construction, not so easy now with the sink and cabinetry in place. If your 2001 Premier has the same access panel, the outdoor shower plumbing is probably stubbed out there, as I believe the outdoor shower was available as an option. On the older models, the bathroom sink provided plumbing access for the shower, so a separate shower compartment was installed above the storage compartment behind the spare tire.

Here are some pictures of my 2001 Concourse hookup compartment with the shower: Hookup Compartment Location.jpg Access Door.jpg Hookup Compartment.jpg
Excellent! Yes, mine looks exactly like yours, sans the shower and whatever is above it. Is that a light? Now, if the plumbing is behind that panel, Nirvana. Time for a little surgery. Thanks!

Edit: OK, so if I drilled through where the shower would go, I would go right through the back wall of the cabinet beneath the sink. And the hot/cold lines are right there for the sink. There’s obviously a space between the exterior wall of the RV and the back of the cabinet. If I could remove the back of the cabinet, no sweat. I suppose I could just punch through both to get hoses through, but then I wouldn’t be able to secure the shower to the inside of the access hatch because it would be secured from the backside. I’m close though! Any suggestions? Anyone have a pic of the shower plumbing under the sink on the later models?
Dallas, TX area
caconcourse

Post by caconcourse »

[/quote]

Excellent! Yes, mine looks exactly like yours, sans the shower and whatever is above it. Is that a light? Now, if the plumbing is behind that panel, Nirvana. Time for a little surgery. Thanks!

Edit: OK, so if I drilled through where the shower would go, I would go right through the back wall of the cabinet beneath the sink. And the hot/cold lines are right there for the sink. There’s obviously a space between the exterior wall of the RV and the back of the cabinet. If I could remove the back of the cabinet, no sweat. I suppose I could just punch through both to get hoses through, but then I wouldn’t be able to secure the shower to the inside of the access hatch because it would be secured from the backside. I’m close though! Any suggestions? Anyone have a pic of the shower plumbing under the sink on the later models?
[/quote]

The metal thing above the faucets is the beginning of the shower hose, which disappears into the compartment and then comes back down another opening to the shower head/handle. The shower hose is a flexible metal hose, which pulls out from the top of the access compartment, and stores back into it, similar to the electric cord.

You can remove the back panels under the sink, but you need a little bit of contortionist skills to get to it. There is a side panel that covers the box where the electric cord stores, and some flimsy shelves and panels that cover the back. I think they are all attached with screws you can remove. I would go that route to get to the plumbing rather than compromise the access hatch area trying to get in from the outside.
Clay
2001 Concourse
Santa Barbara, CA
Jlfchinook

Post by Jlfchinook »

Yes, the plumping is back there. If you remove top drawer you will see the water lines. I looked at my 2000 Concourse and my 2001 Premier, both of them have same piping going to bath sink and installation of new piping would be easier. It looks like piping under would be very hard to reach. The piping on concourse has shut off valves before connecting to outside shower.
2000 Concourse, 2001 premier