Battery compartment doors

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
Jlfchinook

Battery compartment doors

Post by Jlfchinook »

Can anyone tell me why by 2001 premier battery compartment is hinged on top, but my 2000 concourse is hinged on bottom. Not a problem just wondering?
2000 Concourse, 2001 premier
BobW9

Re: Battery compartment doors

Post by BobW9 »

Funny. My 2000 Concourse has the battery compartment hinge at the top. Maybe it just depended on the tech that was installing it that day :?
2000 Concourse, Ford Triton 6.8 V10
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Chinook flipped a number of the compartments as time went on. On my Concourse the battery area has bottom hinge, and "tire locker" has top hinge. I notice later ones have battery top hinge, tire locker bottom hinge. Sounds like you have one each side of the change.
1999 Concourse
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

BobW9 wrote: June 5th, 2020, 7:26 am Funny. My 2000 Concourse has the battery compartment hinge at the top. Maybe it just depended on the tech that was installing it that day :?
They switched the layout for outside utility on 2000. I am not sure, but maybe the one that hinged at the top is the older style with the gas/water/power separate, while the one hinged at the bottom is the integrated version? It be interesting if someone can let us know if my guess is wrong.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

chin_k wrote: June 5th, 2020, 8:11 am
They switched the layout for outside utility on 2000. I am not sure, but maybe the one that hinged at the top is the older style with the gas/water/power separate, while the one hinged at the bottom is the integrated version? It be interesting if someone can let us know if my guess is wrong.
I believe we are talking about the hatches (doors) for two of the larger storage comparments, not the utility hookup hatches. Both hinges were switched around.

Layout one:
Battery/large storage compartment door bottom hinge; tire locker top hinge.

Layout two:
Battery/large storage compartment door top hinge; tire locker bottom hinge.

I can guess why.

Battery/large storage compartment. Original way you need no holder upper clip on body, but sand and stuff gets in hinge. Change to top hinge and add clip to body.

Tire locker. Can't open at all unless you lower spare. Change hinge and (maybe?) you can slightly get into it behind tire (not sure as I don't have bottom hinge or tire there). Downside: Sand etc. in hinge.
1999 Concourse
Jlfchinook

Post by Jlfchinook »

Lay out #3 2001 premier battery compartment top hinge, tire compartment top hinge.
Lay out # 4 2000 concourse bottom battery compartment bottom hinge, tire compartment top hinge.
At least this is the way there are on mine.
2000 Concourse, 2001 premier
BobW9

Post by BobW9 »

I think maybe it was one tech who did the compartment doors, and he/she was a gambler... and flipped a coin before installing each door on every vehicle :lol:
2000 Concourse, Ford Triton 6.8 V10
Kirah
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Kirah »

Blue~Go wrote: June 5th, 2020, 8:29 am I can guess why.

Battery/large storage compartment. Original way you need no holder upper clip on body, but sand and stuff gets in hinge. Change to top hinge and add clip to body.
And also, if you forget to latch it properly, it makes a distressingly awful noise every time you turn left at highway speeds :lol:
1999 Premier, now minus all passenger side cabinets and appliances :twisted:
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Kirah wrote: June 5th, 2020, 10:31 am

And also, if you forget to latch it properly, it makes a distressingly awful noise every time you turn left at highway speeds :lol:
Or if you forget to latch the battery compartment, and start to drive off on the rig, you can use the door as a plow on the field. Speaking from experience here for me.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Kirah
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Kirah »

chin_k wrote: June 5th, 2020, 11:26 am
Kirah wrote: June 5th, 2020, 10:31 am

Or if you forget to latch the battery compartment, and start to drive off on the rig, you can use the door as a plow on the field. Speaking from experience here for me.
Heheh. Nothing like personal experience to learn to latch the hatch :D
1999 Premier, now minus all passenger side cabinets and appliances :twisted: