Installing a Laguna swivel table top question

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
Flame
**Forum Contributor**

Installing a Laguna swivel table top question

Post by Flame »

Kinda a silly question but here goes. I purchased a Laguna swiveltop folding table for my Land Shark. I am installing a brown "lunch tray" like in school or a buffet for the top. I want to cut 2 round holes on one side of tray to hold beverage cups. There will be no bottom so will use "tapered" cups. Question...What size hole do I need to cut to fit the majority of cups these days?? I don't really need it to hold a bottle water or plastic coke bottle. Just thinking things like "senior coffee" at McDonalds or soft drinks or ice tea. Told ya it was silly!! Hah! I will be installing the table brackets today.
1998 Concourse V-10 Triton....AKA...Land Shark
Flame
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Installing a Laguna swivel table top question

Post by Flame »

Well, I may have solved or answered my own question. I mounted the Laguna swivel table bracket and because I used 6 screws to mount the lunch tray top I really no longer have a good place to cut holes for cup holders. I am very pleased how the table turned out and I can still set drinks on my covered stove top and my covered sink tops. Will only be eating while we are setting still anyway.
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Post by HoosierB »

Several cup holders for boats on amazon. Marine industry offers a variety of mounting options: portable, fixed, adjustable, etc. Different materials too: stainless, plastic, ABS, etc.
Should be able to find something to fit your situation.
"Wanda" – '01 Chinook Concourse XL V10
Jb2005

Post by Jb2005 »

We have been thinking of installing a Lagune table too. We have a Concourse, twin beds and would need to be able to quickly put the table away. (I think) Wondering where you mounted it and do you ever take it down? Pictures would be great!
In my opinion, they should never put something in an RV that needs to be taken apart, with out a dedicated place to put it away!
Flame
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Flame »

JB I mounted it right to the end of the jackknife couch nearest the back door. We love it. I am NOT good at posting pictures but if you want to PM me your cell# I can text you photos. With the couch in its upright position and while traveling down the road we just swivel the tray where it "rests" on top of the couch!! You could just pull the whole assy. up out of its bracket and store it behind your couch until you need it. It just slips in place in 3 seconds!! Let me know if you get one and I'll let you in on a couple of installation secrets I did.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Flame wrote: June 29th, 2020, 11:38 amLet me know if you get one and I'll let you in on a couple of installation secrets I did.
I wanna know the secrets too! Any chance you could share them here? (If your couch is like mine, guessing you did some shoring up of that "beauty" end panel?)
1999 Concourse
Flame
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Flame »

Laguna thought of everything in their installation kit. They furnish a nice piece of paneled wood and some plastic shims to use to mount the base piece. It "offsets" the unit just enough to not be pressed against the couch cushion!! You can open and close the couch without any problems. Here is one of my tricks. Open the lower horizontal storage compartment door at the floor. Take great notice of where the metal jacknife hinges are bolted to the same wall you are about to mount your Laguna bracket! The furnished panelled board has 4 predrilled holes to match the 4 holes on the mounting bracket. You HAVE TO CUT about 2 inches off one end of that paneled board to let it drop COMPLETLY down to the floor for your bolts to be able to clear the metal jacknife brackets!! I did not use the plastic shims. (they are not pre drilled) but you may need them. Also...because I still have carpet, you have to really push down hard on the bracket to the floor before you drill your mounting holes. I used all 4 countersunk screws furnished in the kit but...barely got threads to start!! If you have a little longer countersunk screw it would have been a lot easier! It is a VERY well made product. I did screw a full size buffet serving tray on to ours using the 6 predrilled holes on the tabletop mounting bracket. It does NOT come with a tabletop so you can use whatever you want to match your needs and decor. We love it! Hope this helps.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Thanks, Flame.

I have installed a Lagun table on boats before, so familiar with the basics, On my couch that end piece is somewhat "decorative," so I was curious if you shored it up (the metal couch structure is sturdy). The wood piece is usually a backing plate (on the inside) but sometimes creativity is called for :) I bought a Lagun base for my Chinook a few years ago, but never quite figured out a good place to put it (mostly due to the couch cantilever) --- but I'm always open to new ideas.
1999 Concourse
Flame
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Flame »

I suppose I should have used a backing plate also and then use longer screws. But, that could easily be added later if I feel the need. Good luck!
Flame
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Flame »

One note Blue, the Laguna instructions said they included the nice looking lamenated piece of wood specifically to space out away from seat cushions. This is one time I actually followed the directions!!