YIKES! Locked out in remote area......

Travels and adventures.
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

YIKES! Locked out in remote area......

Post by 68camaro »

Last night boondocked in National forest to follow small streams targeting native trout. Below are pics of waterfall at end of stream I followed up mountain until I got to the water fall with sheer rock walls and no way to proceed. It was beautiful and very remote as no trails led there, but it did mean I had to turn around and walk back.

I decided to drive to another remote spot several miles down forest trail. Once there I immediately locked myself out with engine running, cell and everything inside. Literally had nothing to try to get back in.

I remember I hid spare key but could not find it. After looking two or three times, I finally found it :D I couldn't believe I actually found it. It would have been a several hour walk to hopefully get to area where I could flag down car.
IMG_9418.JPG
IMG_9416.JPG
2001 Concourse XL Lounge model, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Re: YIKES! Locked out in remote area......

Post by chin_k »

Wow, glad that you got in there eventually. You may want to plan ahead and let other know where you heading to next time. It is not funny if you lock yourself out, get your gas tank all empty because the engine was running the whole time, and got injured, etc.. We all want you to take care of yourself, and not be on the news.

With that said, the location looks beautiful!
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
SMan

Post by SMan »

That would be scary and frustrating. Does sound like a beautiful place.
FWIW I mounted a rubber covered combination key box in the front wheel well. Hopefully I can remember the combination. :lol:
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

SMan , your combo is 7626, since that is what S-M-A-N is on the keypad.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Post by 68camaro »

chin_k wrote: June 19th, 2020, 6:16 pm Wow, glad that you got in there eventually. You may want to plan ahead and let other know where you heading to next time. It is not funny if you lock yourself out, get your gas tank all empty because the engine was running the whole time, and got injured, etc.. We all want you to take care of yourself, and not be on the news.

With that said, the location looks beautiful!
You bring up good point. I tell wife where I am heading out but to often change due to conditions.

I did do search and rescue for many years so understand importance of leaving note in visible area in car plus leave boot print on aluminum foil in car as well for tracking purposes, but this has to be balanced with vehicle security. I also taught the Red Cross Advance Wilderness First Aid course for many years, it’s a 16-20 hour course on first aid in remote areas with no supplies, no help and exposure to weather. I highly recommend for anyone going into remote areas alone or with others.

Last night I hid a second spare key and will duct tape to doubly secure, In SAR I learned one is none and two is one.......
Flame
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Flame »

My rv keys are on a separate key chain in the house. So I grab them when I get ready to go somewhere but...On my everyday set of keys I carry in my pocket I have one small compartment key and one key that opens my back door. No need to carry a extra bulky ignition key. If yours are locked in the Chinook just get them when your back inside. I understand if you LOSE your key set and the rv is locked up then you might want to hide a set outside somewhere. Just don't forget a compartment key. You don't want to have to bust your gas cover to put fuel in it or get to tools you may need.
1998 Concourse V-10 Triton....AKA...Land Shark
SMan

Post by SMan »

chin_k wrote: June 19th, 2020, 8:50 pm SMan , your combo is 7626, since that is what S-M-A-N is on the keypad.
Thanks! I think I'll write it on the front of the box so I'll have it. ;) :lol:
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Post by 68camaro »

SMan wrote: June 20th, 2020, 7:04 am
chin_k wrote: June 19th, 2020, 8:50 pm SMan , your combo is 7626, since that is what S-M-A-N is on the keypad.
Thanks! I think I'll write it on the front of the box so I'll have it. ;) :lol:
LOL....
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

Glad you got it all sorted out. That could have been a big bummer.

I use JB Weld to bond door keys to magnets, then stash two or three in various places outside the rig. Inside, I have spares for everything. The thing about spares: as long as you have 'em, you won't need 'em. Hopefully.

I also have a spare fire extinguisher, extra gas, and a separate jump pack. And of course a first aid kit, and a few other things that don't bare mentioning.

This is a good thread ...

I don't want to be paranoid; I want to be prepared. And sometimes being prepared means being prepared for others, not just us.

Canned food ...
1994 Premier
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Post by deppstein »

I hate those “oh shit, what now moments!
My “lock-out” solution was to put a full set of back-up keys (front door, rear door, outside compartments, hitch lock and bike lock) in a plastic baggie and duct tape it to the bottom of the hot water heater unit outside so it is hidden by the outside metal cover. Seemed like a safe place that I wouldn’t forget or be afraid of losing on a rough road. Draining water tank for winter hasn’t bothered it, though for aesthetic purposes, I’ve re-taped it twice I think in 6 years.
David