twisted Chinook

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

twisted Chinook

Post by chin_k »

I was replacing both sides of the MorRyde suspension (both broke at the same time on my last trip!), so I jacked up the rig and put them on a pair of jack stands. I did not suspect any issue, but one side was a few inches higher than the other, and I was too lazy to make them the same level.

So I went to the front, and opened the driver door to get some tool in the front. I heard this loud scraping sound, and a piece of paint came off from the door scraping it off the "gutter" that keeps the rain water from running down if there is no cab above the chassis. Well, I have to put some force down on the door so that it can be close without another piece of paint coming off when I tried to shut the door.

Went thru the MorRyde install, and lowered the rig, and everything sent back to normal and I can open and close the door without any issue. So I guess when the frame of the rig is not flat, it actually can twist the fiberglass body in a way that cause the door to interfere with the cab area? I am a bit surprised and wonder if anyone have similar experience.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
dougm

Re: twisted Chinook

Post by dougm »

Wow, interesting... Do you have any pictures? Seems kinda odd for it to twist that much.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I did not take any pic, but I can show you where the paint got scraped off.
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Post by 68camaro »

I actually found that out while trying to exit through camper while on very uneven terrain. Back door was stuck, once
I moved up to level land, door opened no problem.
2001 Concourse XL Lounge model, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

That is interesting, 68camaro. I was expecting the suspension would take care of most of the unevenness, but I guess that was not enough for your case.
ltg

Post by ltg »

I am not a suspension expert by any means, but here goes my opinion.
Were the jack stands placed under the frame? Or were they under the rear axle?
If placed under the frame, it would twist the frame.
If under the rear axle, it should not twist the frame unless the difference in jack stand heights were greater than the suspension travel.

Larry
2005 Glacier
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I put the jack stand under the left and right frame rail, so it would twist the frame. I hope it was reversed.