Sienna Seats in Chinook

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
dougm

Re: Sienna Seats in Chinook

Post by dougm »

Last edited by dougm on November 22nd, 2020, 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dougm

Post by dougm »

Shows the footrest....
b618784e6639527bdc3fb84d067834f9.jpg
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Post by 68camaro »

Doug, with this set up will you be able to have electric seats AND be able to swivel them around?
2001 Concourse XL Lounge model, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis.
dougm

Post by dougm »

I suppose anythings possible with enough trial and error. But thats alot of engineering to fit under a seat that sits a very short distance away from the floor. According to the website, the electric base only requires one hot wire so it would require some thought to keep that wire from getting all twisted up when the seat rotates. One of the outfits that was manufacturing manual bases just used a wheel hub unit bearing from a small vehicle as the rotating pedestal on his. Not sure, i dont have the bases yet so its hard to say at this point without knowing how much distance there is to play with.
dougm

Post by dougm »

Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

Pretty cool.

Hey Doug, do you have any structural concerns with those bases considering the seatbelts are in the seats instead of anchored to the chassis?

Hardware grade? Through holes with bolts and backing plates? Does any of that factor in?

They sure look comfy. Too comfy. I'd fall asleep!
1994 Premier
dougm

Post by dougm »

No, i will be using the Chinook seat belts. However. The riser base will be made from a heavy gauge steel formed in a press brake not sheet metal. They will then be bolted to the floor using the OEM bolt holes in the floor. My thoughts on the toyota seat belts are that if they can pass DOT certification as being safe in the USA using the quick release latches and tracks fabricated from sheet metal, then they should be completely safe using grade 8 bolts combined with a steel riser base and the existing bolt holes.
IMG_0782.jpg
dougm

Post by dougm »

dougm

Post by dougm »

Note to self.... seats must be offset as per manufacturers specifications so as to prevent head being ejected out side window when airbag deploys. :shock:
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

dougm wrote: August 19th, 2020, 8:12 am Note to self.... seats must be offset as per manufacturers specifications so as to prevent head being ejected out side window when airbag deploys. :shock:
How is that possible? :o
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis