No Power from Generator while generator is running

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Re: No Power from Generator while generator is running

Post by chin_k »

jay_Pfox wrote: August 22nd, 2020, 8:08 am

I check both of this, first pic is outside the generator but inside the generator compartment.
Can you tell me more about where the resettable breaker is? Mine is a slightly older model (2000) and so far, I have not able to locate this breaker :oops:
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
jay_Pfox

Post by jay_Pfox »

chin_k wrote: August 22nd, 2020, 12:20 pm There is the junction box under the closet on the back passenger corner of the rig that you can access to if you lift up the closet false bottom. You also can access the ATS (automatic transfer switch) behind the brown box that Doug talk about. Comments:

1, you can use a AC meter to test for voltage at the junction box or at the ATS. Be very careful, since it is household AC voltage.
2, you can swap the shore and genset input to the ATS so that the priority is different. It is simply connected by wire nuts, and you can easily redo/undo back to the original configuration. If you have working genset, but no shore power after the swap, then it is the ATS. If you still only have shore power but no genset power, then it is something between the ATS and the generator.
3, keep in mind that the ATS take a few seconds to switch. If you turn on the genset, there is a few seconds of delay before the power actually comes on. I think it is to protect the genset to get it to run to proper speed before putting a load on it, but not too sure.

You guys are awesome, I love the suggestion. Will tackle it the diagnostic that way.
2001 Chinook Concourse
dougm

Post by dougm »

chin_k wrote: August 22nd, 2020, 12:23 pm

I check both of this, first pic is outside the generator but inside the generator compartment.
Can you tell me more about where the resettable breaker is? Mine is a slightly older model (2000) and so far, I have not able to locate this breaker :oops:
That breaker is part of the 12 volt DC system, its not going to prevent you from having AC voltage. Let me rephrase that, as long as your generator cranks and starts, it isnt going to prevent you from having AC voltage. Its usually inside the generator compartment screwed to the interior compartment wall on the left hand side of the generator. The cable goes to the start solenoid inside your generator housing.
If that breaker trips, your generator wont even crank let alone start.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

dougm wrote: August 22nd, 2020, 3:54 pm That breaker is part of the 12 volt DC system, its not going to prevent you from having AC voltage. Let me rephrase that, as long as your generator cranks and starts, it isnt going to prevent you from having AC voltage. Its usually inside the generator compartment screwed to the interior compartment wall on the left hand side of the generator. The cable goes to the start solenoid inside your generator housing.
Oh yeah, I knew it is not related to the issue that the OP has. I have a resettable breaker on the manual diagram, but I can't find it anywhere. Some have it under the hood, and in the picture, it is attached to the genset case. I was not able to find it in either location. Since it is the first time I see a picture of it other than the one under the hood, I just want to take the opportunity to ask him where exactly his is at.
dougm

Post by dougm »

It is not attached to the genset case. What youre seeing in the image is ghost light being reflected off of the generator from a camera flash. Look at the wire looms, are they also magically vanishing threw the side of the genset case? It is mounted on the interior wall of the generator compartment. Take the front cover off of your generator, find the start solenoid on the left side near your fuel pump, trace the cables, one goes to the generator starter, the other goes out of the generator case and attaches to that breaker, or in your case who knows where it ends up..... Someone could just as easily have removed it because it malfunctioned so rather than replace it, they attached the two cables together and trashed the breaker, who knows.
jay_Pfox

Post by jay_Pfox »

chin_k wrote: August 22nd, 2020, 8:16 pm
dougm wrote: August 22nd, 2020, 3:54 pm That breaker is part of the 12 volt DC system, its not going to prevent you from having AC voltage. Let me rephrase that, as long as your generator cranks and starts, it isnt going to prevent you from having AC voltage. Its usually inside the generator compartment screwed to the interior compartment wall on the left hand side of the generator. The cable goes to the start solenoid inside your generator housing.
Oh yeah, I knew it is not related to the issue that the OP has. I have a resettable breaker on the manual diagram, but I can't find it anywhere. Some have it under the hood, and in the picture, it is attached to the genset case. I was not able to find it in either location. Since it is the first time I see a picture of it other than the one under the hood, I just want to take the opportunity to ask him where exactly his is at.
8C64C09D-7E7C-4A4E-BBC9-CFF7D8A36660.jpeg
It’s right next to the oil fill cap reservoir inside the generator. Its towards the front of the generator, easily seen as soon as the front cover is removed.
2001 Chinook Concourse
jay_Pfox

Post by jay_Pfox »

dougm wrote: August 22nd, 2020, 3:54 pm
chin_k wrote: August 22nd, 2020, 12:23 pm

That breaker is part of the 12 volt DC system, its not going to prevent you from having AC voltage. Let me rephrase that, as long as your generator cranks and starts, it isnt going to prevent you from having AC voltage. Its usually inside the generator compartment screwed to the interior compartment wall on the left hand side of the generator. The cable goes to the start solenoid inside your generator housing.

I pressed the red button today as shown on this picture and the generator does not crank or start at all. Once flipped back to the original position, generator cranks and starts right up.
2001 Chinook Concourse
dougm

Post by dougm »

lol, this is like the three stooges, im out. :lol:
download.gif
jay_Pfox

Post by jay_Pfox »

dougm wrote: August 22nd, 2020, 11:37 pm lol, this is like the three stooges, im out. :lol:
download.gif
I apologized for being such a newbie ;)
So much to learn and just trying to self diagnostic it as much as I can. Anyways I’m grateful for your input and feedback on how to tackle and troubleshoot the problem. So thank you very much.
2001 Chinook Concourse
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

It's my fault. I should not ask a irrelevant question in your thread, and confused people. As long as you figured it out, that is all good. :)