Rear Sway Bar

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Rear Sway Bar

Post by deppstein »

I just got done having a Hellwig 7085 Rear Sway Bar installed on my 2004 Premier. I went with this particular sway bar after reading the various threads on the forum--choosing this as the option that was the not too harsh E450 spec, not too soft as in none or stock, but just rightly made for the e350 (Blue's 3-Bears Description). At the same time, I replaced the original rear shocks with Bilstein comforts, and added a Roadmaster Front Sway Bar to replace the original stock whose bushing were totally shot. I had already put Bilstein comforts on the front. Didn't touch the steering damper cuz what I have seems to be working just fine. I've only driven the Rig for an hour or so with the new sway bars and rear shocks, and it feels nice! Next will be a full set of Michelin 235/75 r16 Cross Climates with Road Force Balance and a new front alignment (just to cross all the T's and dot the I's). All in preparation for what I imagine will be several cross-country runs from Boston to Colorado over the next year or so to visit our grandchild and her parents. Want to make sure that the Rig is in tip-top condition for these trips, especially during the winter (the Cross Climates have the added advantage of being 3 peak snow rated for Colorado, so I won't have to worry about chaining-up as required by the new laws there).
...And now to my question, and the reason for this post.
When I picked up the Rig, I had a good chat with the mechanic, who said the install went well. But he did bring one issue to my attention that he suggested that I keep an eye on--he told me that the u-bracket that attaches the rear sway bar to the axle on the driver side was a tight fit (getting it as close as possible to the bottom support for the rear shock), and consequently the top of the u-bolt was pushed up against the rubber section of the brake line just after the top coupling. He did not make it out to be a serious problem or anything like that--just a closer tolerance than he would like to see. And he wanted me to keep an eye on it for any chaffing the rubber brake hose. He said that if I did notice any unusual wear I should let him know and he'd work to come up with a fix. SO, that got me to thinking that maybe one of you all who have installed a rear sway bar might have noticed the same thing...and that you might have a fix in mind.
I have attached two pics of the bracket--one is a rear view, clearing showing the u-bolt up against the rubber brake hose, and the other is a front view of the bracket mounting next to the lower shock absorber support.
As always--any and all advice requested and welcome.
Thanks
David
Attachments
Rear Sway Bar Clamp Front View.jpg
Rear Sway Bar Clamp Rear View.jpg
dougm

Re: Rear Sway Bar

Post by dougm »

Remove the hose from the fitting that sticks straight up. That hose is a vent line for the axle housing. Remove that fitting and then slip a nylon washer similar to whats on your oil pan drain plug underneath to raise the brake lines up an 1/8th inch or so, screw the fitting back in and tighen it back up. Dont get carried away tightening it up or you will pull the threads in the axle housing. You could also use a copper washer for that matter.
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Post by deppstein »

Doug...perfect! Thanks.
This is why I love this forum...I mean, come on—where else could I pose such an esoteric question and get a clear, concise, and helpful answer in less than an hour. Can’t wait to show this to my mechanic...he’ll be impressed.
David
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Post by deppstein »

All—I just realized that I had a typo error on this thread regarding the tire size of the new Michelin Agilis Cross Climates that I am putting on our 2004 Premier. It should have read 225/75 r16–not 235/75 r16. Apologies for any confusion caused.
David
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

David, you should edit the post too. Some of us only read the first post with the info, and not reading the entire thread.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
dougm

Post by dougm »

My experience is that although adding a rear swaybar helps handling and corning significantly, the chinook benefits more from a rear tracbar which eliminates whats called tailwag. A swaybar does not eliminate tailwag. Tailwag is what you get when a semi truck passes you on the freeway at 60 mph, or when a 25 mph gust of wind hits the side of your truck when your driving down the interstate ect.... Tailwag mimicks steering issues and forces you to make corrections with the steering wheel.
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Post by deppstein »

Doug...thanks for this advice.
The sway bars have certainly helped with cornering and handling. I am about to make a run from Boston to Colorado, and will monitor “tailwag.” If I decide to add a tea bar to the rear, which one do you recommend?
David
dougm

Post by dougm »

I have the Blue Ox on mine. I would recommend Blue Ox or Super Steer. Looking at the photos online they are the exact same kit anyway, just that Blue Ox charges $200 more than supersteer.
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Post by deppstein »

Happy New Year All--
As promised, I am writing to report on how our 2004 Premier performed on the road with the installation of a new Roadmaster front sway bar, Helwig rear sway bar, Bilstein Comfort shocks all around, new front bearings and bushings, along with a new set of Michelin Cross Climate tires with Road Force balancing. Bottom Line: They don't call our Rigs the "Sports Cars of RVs" for nothing! In the last six weeks, we have traveled from Boston to Colorado and back along a mix of interstate and two-lane...through the snow and sleet of the Allegheny Mountains, the renlentless winds of Kansas, heavy rains in the midwest, and real snow in the Wet Mountains of Colorado. In every instance, without exception, our Rig was INTREPID! We cruised for hours at 72 mph along the interstate, running steady and true (no vibrations, no tailwag). We had traction in six inches of snow on dirt roads, and we felt solid on the road through two days of heavy rain through Ohio and upstate New York. For anyone debating new tires, front/rear sway bars, and shocks--I would advise going for it. It really does make a difference.
Doug--I did pay particular attention to "tailwag" that you mentioned, and found that I really didn't feel the need for the addition of a rear tracbar...seems that the rear Helwig sway bar was sufficient--even on two-lane highway 50 through Kansas with 25 mph cross winds and semis whipping past me in the opposite direction. I guess each Rig has its own individual personality to some extent.
David
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Post by 68camaro »

Great to hear it worked out and thanks for update, I guess I have a couple new upgrades this year.
2001 Concourse XL Lounge model, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis.