Velvacs mirror repair

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Velvacs mirror repair

Post by chin_k »

I was making a left turn on a green left arrow, this fellow in a U-Haul van was stopped at the same light because he was going straight, but he was too far into the left most lane (left turn only lane). So when I drive pass him, I took out his driver side mirror. Since I already make the turn, and everyone moved, I can't prove that it was his fault for stopping pass his lane. I wish I have my camera on, but I did not. Cost me almost $500 to repair his rental van by U-haul, since I really needed to get on with my trip (already behind schedule), so I let them charge me whatever they want :(

Anyway, when I got home, I noticed the passenger side power mirror does not move left/right. It does adjust up/down. It is not the switch issue, since I can do all four directions on the driver side. So before I took the mirror apart, any of you have any hint or pointer for me to look for? I plan to search for manual/video on the internet and see if there is any resource there, but I want to check here first in case some of you did such repair in the past.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
dougm

Re: Velvacs mirror repair

Post by dougm »

ROFLMAO, i just did the same thing yesterday when i went to the tire store. There was a tree service pickup that backed his trailer up against the curb leaving the front of his pickup a foot and a half out from the curb. When i went by i had to crowd that side because some woman failed to yield the right of way on a residential street with vehicles parked on both sides. I snagged his mirror, after that my mirror wouldnt go up or down even though it didnt break the housing or the mirror glass. It didnt start working again until i manually moved the mirror by hand, then for whatever reason the thing started working again. It destroyed his mirror, but mine just has black paint on it from his mirror. :lol:
red_land_baron
**Forum Contributor**

Post by red_land_baron »

Check the Reference section. I just posted the Velmac mirror wiring diagram
as this may provide you with some help in diagnosing your problem.
2000 7.3l diesel Concourse
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Thank you. Hopefully it is some mechanical issue that can be easily fixed. If it is electrical, the diagrams will be very, very helpful to troubleshoot.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

The diagram really helped. Figured that it must be the white/black wire, since it does not move vertically, but nothing wrong with the horizontal direction . And guess what? The white wire was broken near the Molex connector inside the right hand cover plate once I started checking the wiring. It is going to be a easy splicing and I will do that this weekend. Glad that I did not take the mirror apart to see the mechanical since most of the time, things that I did that to never was ever the same again :oops:

One good thing about taking things apart for me is that I always end up with extra spare screws after I put everything back together. :D