Rebedding Roof

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
Grand3

Rebedding Roof

Post by Grand3 »

I feel like I need to start off by saying thank you to everyone who shares on this forum, especially regarding maintenance. I purchased a 2000 Concourse last August and have spent hours on the forum. The unit I only had about 31,000 miles on it when I bought it and had been garaged by the two prior owners. I followed the advice regarding bringing key components up-to-date (e.g. new tires, fluid replacement, transmission service, replacing spark plugs, etc.) Feel pretty good about the engine, chassis, coach components. I have read with interest the discussion about upgrading brakes. My mechanic serviced my brakes and said everything look great on them so I haven't done anything in that regard. Planning our first big trip the middle of October on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I should have a better idea about my brakes after that trip.

I say all that because I think I am ready to do preventative maintenance on the shell. No known leaks at this time. I want to keep it that way. I read with interest the discussion about rebedding and want to go that route. Long ago I accepted that I am not handy. My dad and my sons are. Must skip a generation. I want to find someone I trust to do the rebedding for me. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a shop they trust that does this type of work. I live near Little Rock, AR, but have children in the LA and NYC areas so travel is not out of the question for quality work.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Rebedding Roof

Post by chin_k »

I have not do any of it yet, and so I will be learning along with you. I am one of the dumb and over confident type, so I feel that rebedding should be doable for most people who is careful not falling off the roof, and careful with following instruction ... what do you think is going to be most challenging part for you? One good thing about the Chinook is that there is not a lot of penetrations on the roof. The previous owner of my rig did a pretty ugly job in bedding the roof, but I guess as long as it is keeping the water out, cosmetic is not that important.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Grand3

Re: Rebedding Roof

Post by Grand3 »

Not sure I can remove everything and get it back on adequately. I haven't done many repair/maintenance projects. I may be a little impatient at times too.