87 Chinook 18 Plus Ford

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
trickofthetale

87 Chinook 18 Plus Ford

Post by trickofthetale »

Hello all, I own a very old Chinook, now I have the opportunity to buy a 1987 Chinook 18 Plus with a Ford, 460 under 20,000 miles for under
$8,000. The interior is immaculate I love the club chairs, obviously it's spent most of it's life outdoors in a northern State and not under cover. So it needs paint, no big thing I know I will have to check for propane tank rust. The owner bought it to flip i'm sure as he knows nothing about it. As an expat in Mexico the rig makes perfect sense. No leaks. It's going to have some immediate issues seal's, bushings change fluids.
Any specific issues I should look for. The owner say's everything works but, I have to fly to buy and he doesn't know where the spare is, so I will make that confirmation. No generator.
Where is the spare? I can't find anything online. Which is why i'm sure this the 2nd owner bought it to flip.
Correct me if i'm wrong it should get about 11 MPG and it's carbureated 460.
If anyone has questions about Motor Home life in Mexico, Just ask. It's inexpensive and great.

RJS
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Re: 87 Chinook 18 Plus Ford

Post by chin_k »

trickofthetale wrote: December 20th, 2020, 7:33 am The owner say's everything works but, I have to fly to buy and he doesn't know where the spare is, so I will make that confirmation. No generator.
I am not familiar with the older Chinook, but for the newer ones, the tires are mostly on the back bumper. Some mounted it on the roof, and some relocated it to the front hitch. It is very likely that there is no spare. Take a look on google on the 80's Chinook, and it should give you a good idea about what it should look like.

I am always worry about the sentence "Everything works" from a seller. It almost always means the same as "I don't know." A set of 30 years old tires also works if you pump it back up, but it will surely going to pop when you for a few miles. How old are the tires, and is it road worthy? If the seller do not want to drive it on the freeway alone... but everything works....
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Chinnin-about

Post by Chinnin-about »

20191028_172415.jpg
I currently have a 1987 Chinook. It needed all the penetrations redone, the rear door rebuilt, the hatches weaterstripped, the carpet ripped out, the rotten floor fixed, and all systems refurbished. Water system needed new hot water tank, water pump, and faucets. Propane system needed tank repainted and lines tested and certified.

Mechanically, it needed two new batteries, all fluids changed, glow plugs, fuel return lines, thermostat. It needed a transmission. I added a transmission cooler. I replaced the vacuum pump and modulator. I put shocks on it. I replaced the heater fan and cleaned out the heat duct system. 6.9 IDI diesel has 90k miles on it.

I replaced the windshield, since it leaked, and door gaskets, fuel gauge, and one electric window motor.

Still needs galley redone, floor covering, electrical upgrades, entertainment upgrades, and solar. Tires, brakes, and other systems are okay. Cab air conditioning needs to be upgraded to 134 system.

The odometer does not have the last digit, so it is functionally impossible for an 87 to only have 20k miles. More likely 120, which is better. The 460 doesn't like sitting around and is notorious for bad exhaust gasket. You'll have to pull the motor to replace it, if it's ticking.

Chinook was reaching it's prime in the late 80's and are worth restoring, yet I draw the line at fuel injection on the 460. I've had two of them, and they're great workhorses, but very thirsty at the gas pump.

Repainting graphics doesn't scare me. Gel coat fiberglass buffs out real nice. Be prepared to spend 3 to 5 grand on it getting it up to speed. They're worth between 5 and 7 grand on the low end, and can bring 15 grand on the high end redone and documented.

Spare tire is on the back bumper like on all 18+ Chinooks
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Good point on the odometer. I used to have a '84 station wagon, and the odometer read "1567" before I donated it. It was actually 201567 since I spend over the most significant digit twice.

You don't want an engine to sit around, so it is actually better if it got a work out periodically, like what Chinnin-about said.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis