install 12v outlet

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
terriv
**Forum Contributor**

install 12v outlet

Post by terriv »

I need to install this double 12v outlet back behind range hood on the left side.
I need 12v outlet somewhere along dinette side for husbands CPAP.
I dropped the range hood to tap into a ground & power.
As I try to figure out which is which I am reminded of the "First do no harm" motto. :o
So any help would be appreciated.
Terri in Oregon
1999 Concourse
Attachments
20210130_133409.jpg
20210130_133307.jpg
20210130_135029(0).jpg
2000 Concourse Dinette 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10
Go Wagon
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Re: install 12v outlet

Post by chin_k »

How many amp is the CPAP pulling? You maybe able to tap into the lights that turns on when you opens the overhead bins. They are hot all the time before the switches, and use blade connectors. Just need to make sure the CPAP and the regular appliance is not going to pull too much amp.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Also, if he sleeps on the driver side (sofa), there is a cigar outlet right behind the driver seat.
terriv
**Forum Contributor**

Post by terriv »

Thanks for your input. He disconnects the water warmer section when we camp,so not sure how many amps are needed.
My goal is to store everything up & out of the way in the dinette overhead bin, with just the mask & air tube dropping down at night.
I have a 12v fan I also want to plug in. That's why I choose that particular location & a dual outlet.
How about if I disconnected the "exhaust" fan & used that power & ground wire?
I suppose I could break down & pay some RV shop to figure it out but that takes all the fun out of it! ;)
Attachments
20210130_191339.jpg
Go Wagon
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

These converters can convert 24V DC to 24 DC and lost about half of the electricity (~60W) as heat <face palm>.

I guess when it comes to medical device, they want to make sure the electricity is as smooth as possible, and justify the lack of efficiency.

Anyway, at 12 VDC, it is pulling 13 amp, so you need to make sure the circuit it is on is fused for that (minimum fuse on the Chinook is 15 A, so you are good) and the rest of the appliance is *not* pulling more than an amp or two. It will be bad if someone turns on a light in the middle of the light, and blow the fuse, and that will wake up the man from his sleep when the CPAP stops. I don't think it will work on a 15A circuit if you use the second socket for the fan or a humidifier. You definitely need to get it on a 20A circuit (e.g., the TV and the VCR are on a 20A each, so they are better alternative for you to tap into the electricity. I think it is not that bad to run a few wires from the TV and VCR over to the storage area. Just make sure to use a thick wire (I would go with 8 AWG) to minimize heat and voltage lost.

There are other options. The CPAP machine is actually only pulling 90W, so if you can find a better converter that will work with the machine, it is only going to pull 8 - 10 A, and that is a lot easier on the circuit. I would not do that without manufactorer approval due to the fact that you are dealing with a medical device.

Another option is to look at an independent power bank just for the CPAP machine. It will need to be charged during the day, however, and it is another thing that you need to deal with with the limited space, etc.

Another another option is to find a CPAP machine that can work directly off 12 V DC with more efficient converter.

Currently, the Chinook is not meant to be used the way you intended, and you may need to either make some compromise, or do more modification to it to accommodate your situation. The solar panel is only 50 W, so I don't think you can use it to recharge the electricity used by the CPAP. You also need to make sure the batteries can handle the ~100 Amp hour if you use it for 8 hours everyday (I think stock batteries will be fine, assume you run the genset during the day.)
terriv
**Forum Contributor**

Post by terriv »

Again, I appreciated you well written & through posts. :)

"There are other options. The CPAP machine is actually only pulling 90W, so if you can find a better converter that will work with the machine, it is only going to pull 8 - 10 A, and that is a lot easier on the circuit."

ResMed S9 CPAP folks sells a 30W Power Supply AC. This is for use without the heated humidifier. That is how he uses it, without the heated humidifier. But they do not sell a 30W DC converter.
So, after looking for 2 hours on the Google I am unable to find a 30W DC converter.
What am I missing?
Go Wagon
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

What is missing is demand. Very few people wants to buy a DC converter that does not let them use the humidifier and the heater, so they don't want to offer that option.

However, this is what I found.... do not know if it is the correct one for your need. Buyer beware, as always.

https://www.amazon.com/KFD-Charger-Adap ... 66&sr=8-13

It requires 8.3A to 12A max at 12 VDC, so technically it is still can pull 90W, but the minimum is 8.3A, so it is not as strict as others that specifically says 12 A without the minimum current requirement. If you have an ammeter, maybe you can try to see how much yours actually pulls instead of relies on what the label says (lots of the foreign devices from *some* specific country have inaccurate labels).