Small Market Research

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
LosLaureles

Small Market Research

Post by LosLaureles »

I own and operate a small Hotel on the Central Coast of California. Is there customer demand for safe overnight parking in a hotel parking lot? No hookups but access to a restaurant, pool and bath house.

Twenty wine tasting rooms within one mile of location and 4,000 acres of regional hiking trails.

I ask because I may begin the process for a use permit variance due to COVID.Image
2000 Chinook Premier
LosLaureles

Re: Small Market Research

Post by LosLaureles »

Photo of Hotel Parking
Attachments
20210207_080351.jpg
2000 Chinook Premier
cidevco

Post by cidevco »

Yes!! This would be great if you would provide an address or city you are in. Nice stop over traveling up or down the west coast
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Along the Big Sur, or near Paso Robles? I may take advantage of it if I go near the Coast, maybe once a year. How far is it from electric line? It may not that expensive to add 30 or 50 A service, and people may be able to charge their EV too... I am willing to pay more if I have access to electricity.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
LosLaureles

Post by LosLaureles »

Carmel. Specifically Carmel Valley. However, some people confuse Carmel Valley San Diego with Carmel Valley, Monterey County
2000 Chinook Premier
sm350bl
**Forum Contributor**

Post by sm350bl »

chin_k wrote: February 11th, 2021, 9:05 pm Along the Big Sur, or near Paso Robles? I may take advantage of it if I go near the Coast, maybe once a year. How far is it from electric line? It may not that expensive to add 30 or 50 A service, and people may be able to charge their EV too... I am willing to pay more if I have access to electricity.
I agree about the electrical, would be a big plus. I am digging the idea though. the girlfriend would love this and its in our back yard. Be a great excuse to take the chinook out for a weekend.
Rich
2000 Concourse 7.3L Powerstroke 4X4
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I wish it is further south, but I guess it is closer for people in the Bay Area.

I wonder if there is any incentive for business to put in a stand-alone solar panel, and run the line to the main building. That way, you can use some of the wiring and electric work to add in the electric service in the parking area.
LosLaureles

Post by LosLaureles »

The largest hurdle is a temporary change to the use permit allowing overnight guests in a self contained vehicle. COVID has created some temporary law changes. For example, serving alcohol for curbside pickup with food.

Installing electrical may be difficult with county permits since use permit change would most likely have a sunset clause and dropping 30 Amp may show long term plans. Also, the lodge is a historic facility. Therefore, electrical infrastructure is not as easy as it sounds.

I am trying to do my homework before making a change
Thanks
Mike
2000 Chinook Premier
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I think if you can find a way to improve your property, and use it to make it easier to add the 30A service will be a win for you long term. Do not know if a stand-alone solar structure will be incompatible with a historical structure, but the main issue is rather it is benefit to your property long term. If you have use for the electricity, then it is a good idea. If the nearby building has no use for the electricity, then it will be a waste of money.

You may want to go slow, and just let people dry-docking, and then use the proceed to improve the property with upgraded infrastructure. I wonder if there is a market for a portable power source for RV that a facility like yours. It is basically a small trailer (4X6) that can be moved by a trailer dolly or towed, and it has batteries and an inverter on broad that allow a RV (or two) to get sufficient power from it to run AC and heat for about a week. When the guest leaves, you can bring the trailer back and recharge it. If security is an issue, then you can remove or lock the wheels, or make a version that needs to be moved with a forklift or a John Deere tractor. There will be a bit of a upfront cost for you, and it will be more expensive for the guest (you need to recoup the wear and tear on the trailer, as well as your investment and insurance.) The good thing about that is that it is a temporary trailer/structure, and I don't think you will need to get permits for it.
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Post by 68camaro »

LosLaureles wrote: February 11th, 2021, 6:44 pm I own and operate a small Hotel on the Central Coast of California. Is there customer demand for safe overnight parking in a hotel parking lot? No hookups but access to a restaurant, pool and bath house.

Twenty wine tasting rooms within one mile of location and 4,000 acres of regional hiking trails.

I ask because I may begin the process for a use permit variance due to COVID.Image
Here is link to website where companies like you can advertise exactly what you are asking about:

https://harvesthosts.com/host-locations/

I think some charge small fee but idea is to offer place and they would eat in rest. etc.

Also: https://www.campendium.com/virginia/lynchburg

I think there would be a need, lots of people are not comfortable boonedocking so paying small fee to sleep sound in safe spot would have value.

Chuck
2001 Concourse XL Lounge model, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis.