Replacement front console

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
Flame
**Forum Contributor**

Replacement front console

Post by Flame »

I have 1998 Concourse with hot/cold drink holders. I want to upgrade to something better and don't need heated drink holder and they are too small. Any advise what to get and where to get it? What year models fit my 1998?
1998 Concourse V-10 Triton....AKA...Land Shark
sm350bl
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Replacement front console

Post by sm350bl »

1997/98 is a unique transition year. Alot of plant retooling and using up previous year inventory of parts. Just wanted to make sure you have the newer dash setup? I have seen so much weird stuff from this production year that I have to ask. If your interior is the newer one / same as a 1999 then you should be able to swap consoles from any econoline from 98-07....the ones form 08 might fit the doghouse but don't thing the contour would fit the dash. All the doghouses from 98-07 are the same so find which console you like best and attach it to your doghouse.
Rich
2000 Concourse 7.3L Powerstroke 4X4
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

My comment is that if you do get a new console from the junk yard, try to get the mounting clip too. When they put in the Beverage Mate, they removed the clip for mounting the Ford doghouse. There are a few different doghouse version. I end up with the "scary clown" version due to the amount of space on it.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
caconcourse

Post by caconcourse »

I got mine on EBay. This is what I have (2001 Concourse) and seems to be the most-liked and newest version: https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-OEM-09-14 ... Sw1xpa3Pyc

They used to be cheap ($50), but this new one is cheaper than some selling used ones. ( Most of the used ones are practically new, just removed before dash modifications for custom vans). You might find one in a junkyard also. Other sellers come and go as they get ones to sell. if you have the beverage-mate, I assume you have the newer doghouse, that hasn't changed in a long time.

Found a better deal: https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Ford-E150- ... 1195.m1851 with free shipping.
Clay
2001 Concourse
Santa Barbara, CA
BobW9

Post by BobW9 »

Yep, that's the one I put on my 2000 Concourse. I love the amount of stuff it can hold!
2000 Concourse, Ford Triton 6.8 V10
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Here is a thread dedicated to this topic, with photos of the various options:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19&p=83&hilit=console#p83

BTW, the Ford chassis dividing line is 1996 (old) to 1997 (new).

Some 1997 Chinooks might be built on the 1996 chassis, but I'd be very surprised if a 1998 would be.

Any V-10 is on the newer chassis (thus interchangeable consoles).
1999 Concourse
Flame
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Flame »

Well, I just pulled the trigger on a console for my 1998 Concourse to to replace the hot/cold one. I did not buy the "clown" one but the other. it came out of a 2008 model they said. haven't gotton it yet but I did order a 12 volt duel cig lighter and duel USB set to mount and hook up to heated cup wires. Where is everyone mounting this to be a convenient place? I really dont like plugging things in to the right of my steering wheel in the cig lighter or 12 volt plug. Because you have to run so much wire from USB straight out "at me". Thought it would be better if I could plug in down low somewhere? I did buy a 110 volt inverter also so I can charge my laptop while driving. We are heading out for a 3-4 week trip to New England states soon and want that cockpit set up nice and neat!! Any suggestions? We are doing our best to NOT block access to back from captain chairs for wife and I. Also Happy Easter everyone!!
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I remember Clay have it installed inside the console, but I do not know if he has the same style as yours. For the laptop, you maybe able to get a DC-DC inverter to convert 12V to whatever volt it needs (??? 19V ???), but if there are other thing that may need 110V AC, it maybe good to have an inverter for multiple purposes.
Flame
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Flame »

In preperation for my replacement console coming I went out to see how to remove the old one. I have at the bottom in the middle, a phillip head screw that appears to need removing. I thought from what I have read that all I had to then is lift up off of the 3 hooks in the triangle pattern? I am seeing 2 square head screws holding the topside to the doghouse? One on each side of the console. I assume they need to come out??
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I am not very sure, since I did it a few years ago. I think you have to remove the BeverageMate first, and then the console. Trail Wagon removed the mounting clip on the doghouse. I don't know if you need to clip, but I riveted it back in there. I removed the clip with the console when I was at the junk yard.

I bet if you do a search on youtube, someone might have done it before if you can't find a good description on this forum.