Replace faucet

Section for discussion of Chinook interior and appliance issues, repair or installation.
Jensen.in.OR

Re: Replace faucet

Post by Jensen.in.OR »

I just replaced the pull out spout on the Moen kitchen faucet and hope my recent experience may be useful to others.

My careful efforts to winterize my Concourse failed to account for residual water in the Moen PureTouch filtering faucet (original equipment, model 87810S). Freezing water broke the internal filter and cracked the case. (See photo.)
Moen Kitchen Faucet, broken filter.jpg
Assuming I needed to replace the entire Moen faucet, I extracted it from under the sink, a feat made easier by insights provided in prior posts (Thank you, Chinook colleagues). When shopping for new faucets, I discovered replacement pull out spouts available from Amazon, the big box stores, and plumbing parts providers. I ordered several hoping to find a color compatible with the original white faucet and a spout diameter that would fit inside the Moen spout receptor.

None of the few white spouts on available on Amazon fit inside the spout receptor. (See photo.)
Kitchen faucet pull out spouts.jpg
But a spout of another color from the Hibbent brand fit perfectly. (See photo).
Moen kitchen faucet with new spout.jpg
I chose black since the color matches the Concourse window frames.

To be sure that the new Hibbent spout would work with the Moen faucet base, I reinstalled the faucet and connected the spout. It worked fine in both the spray and stream modes. Here’s the Amazon product link.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0931YWG7N/re ... oding=UTF8

Installing the new spout took about 10 minutes. Extracting then re-installing the Moen faucet took several hours – an unnecessary chore had I known in advance that a replacement spout was readily available.

Because the PureTouch filters are discontinued by Moen, hard to find, and expensive, I thought that I would need to replace the entire kitchen faucet. Replacing just the pull out spout proved to be a good alternative.
Jensen.in.OR
2001 Chinook Concourse, Club Lounge