Brake booster conversion

Everything to do with engines, options, upgrades.
JabberBox

Re: Brake booster conversion

Post by JabberBox »

I cant testify to anyone elses experience other than my own. I used the 2005+ dana 60 which is coil sprung. First in my opinion, and it is just my opinion... The ford twin I-beam suspension is the absolute worst suspension system ever created and installed on a motorvehicle.

The 4x4 swap is superior in terms of ride quality, but it has its own feel in terms of handling because it is that much different from the twin I-beam design, and its a 4x4 now. That said once yours is swapped you will immediately notice the difference in handling characteristics because youre used to the old 2 wheel drive I-beam setup. You will have more suspension travel... at least in the front. If youre using blocks in the back it isnt going to ride any better in the back, in fact a 4 inch block very well could make it ride somewhat worse. Once you install progressive springs in the back that will change for the better and you can trash the 4 inch lift blocks. Im running 8000 LB progressive springs arched for 6 inches of lift. Proper bump stop orientation and installation is a must. Im looking into using the Fox nitrogen/air bump stops on mine versus a solid rubber block.

The nitrogen bump stops work similar to a progressive spring in that initially they only offer minimal resistance to a bump, however as they compress further the harder they become to compress. This results in a smoother dampening versus just exceeding maximum travel and then BAM the axle hits a solid rubber bump stop. But they arent cheap either at about $350 bucks for each corner.

WIth all of that said, you have to keep in mind that its a heavy truck and no matter what you do to the suspension in terms of improving ride quality, its always going to be a heavy truck. But in my own personal experience the 4x4 swap is a vast improvement over the I-beam suspension. I cant speak for the leaf spring conversions however.