New Chinooks

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
Manitou
Site Admin

New Chinooks

Post by Manitou »

It looks like they finally started building new chinooks on a modern chassis. Would be even nicer to have options between ford and Mercedes, but I'm just happy they are making them again (and should be much better mpg.. maybe even awd option)

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2021-C ... 5016302056
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Re: New Chinooks

Post by chin_k »

These are much more fuel efficient for sure. But if I can afford almost 200k after tax on the rig, I don't think I will care if the gas price is $3 or $10 a gal. I do not see how much solar is on the rig, and how many amp is the charger. But I am sure the info is somewhere from the manufacture site.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
SMan

Post by SMan »

Looks nice albeit a bit out of my price range. ;)
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
caconcourse

Post by caconcourse »

Well, that is amazing. They already dropped the price by $40K, from $239K. Guess the sticker shock was overwhelming. I like the direction they are going, but I am not sure the quality of the old Chinooks is there yet. The body and roof seem to be pieced together with stick walls and roof and fiberglass front/rear, along with some unsightly vertical seams.

I hope that calling it a Summit means it is the top of the line, pricewise, and a more reasonable Concourse/Glacier is coming, using the original molds. I hope, like Tesla, they want to start with a high end, to raise profit revenue for the lower end model development.

The components are modern, but don't seem to warrant an extravagant price. For example, the solar uses cheaper flexible panels, which are probably fine, but an expensive add-on that an owner could do himself and save a lot of money.

Anyway, $199K is a whole lot better than $239K, and close to the premium prices of the old Chinooks, when calculated in today's dollars.

I hope the add a gas Ford/Transit option, which would provide much more convenient service and fueling.
Clay
2001 Concourse
Santa Barbara, CA
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I do not see any visible seam. However, the shape does not look like the original Chinook. It is more boxy, and does not have the fluidity (if you know what I mean) that the old one has. I do not like how the birthday cake stacks on the old rig when I need to do solar panels, but the decorative metal rails around it is some of the elements that I really like on the old one.

With the price tag, I hope it have filtration system on it that allows me to take shower and only lost a gallon or less of water. I have not look at the specification, however, so maybe it does.
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Post by 68camaro »

The low clearance and long rear overhang wouldn't work off-road for me, but then again if I was looking to spend $200k there are better options IMHO.

Not a fan of interior lay out either.....I still think in high 20's and 30's our Concourses are a bargain....also would look for Transit as servize on Sprinters is few and far between. Good luck in remote areas finding service.
2001 Concourse XL Lounge model, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I agree that it is a bad idea to try to service on a German-made vehicle. The parts will also be more expensive too. As for the ground clearance, google says it is 9.4 (some says 8.5) inch for Transit, and 7.9 on the Sprinter. Isn't the Transit have a low horizontal bar across the bottom on the rear axle? Or that is the Promaster?
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Nevermind, it is the promaster.
cidevco

Post by cidevco »

I will give this new version a few credits. Odd looking though...

I appears that there is more storage outside, it would be nice to store folding chairs and a small BBQ outside. Nice to see the generator on the left side away from the awning. Solar panels are unknown but look to be larger than the old style.

Interior Looks like a much larger TV, more storage over head or at least larger doors. Like the single burner cook top but wonder if it can run off the battery, not good if the generator need to run. Looks like a larger shower that's very nice.

Price? Well if you have it spend it. I know Im keeping my 2004 Preimer. Im fine with the age, gas mileage and what I paid compared to this model at the $200K mark. I dont think I will ever spend that kind of Bread on fuel.
SMan

Post by SMan »

One thing I'll say is the old Chinook exterior look and design is much better to my eye than the new one. I also think the cabinets look of cheaper construction.
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10