2005 Chinook Summit Electrical issue

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
Gimlimike

2005 Chinook Summit Electrical issue

Post by Gimlimike »

Hello everyone, this is my first post and really need some help.My friend who owned the above unit passed away last winter and his wife would like to do some traveling with their grandson.
The problem is we are not getting power in the house.we have

Replaced with new batteries and recabled as required, the steps now retract and extend.
The power panel show good battery level
All breakers located at the left of the entry in the cabinet are switched on
All fuses are functional, we tested each one.
Even when plugged into 230 nothing functions, but the microwave panel lights up, that’s it.

The truck engine works as designed.

Have we missed a breaker somewhere we cannot find ?

Does anyone have any troubleshooting steps I can use to get her on her way?

Thank you in advance

Mike
Manitou
Site Admin

Re: 2005 Chinook Summit Electrical issue

Post by Manitou »

Is the overhead switch (while seated in the driver's seat) on?
caconcourse

Post by caconcourse »

The RV uses 120V for shore power. Plugging into 230V will damage things. Hopefully you are referring to an RV 30Amp shore power source, which is 120V. Not familiar with the Summit electrical system (we have a Concourse), but there is probably a GFCI outlet on one of the AC circuits that may need to be reset. I think you have an inverter somewhere which may need to be turned on or reset.

As Manitou mentioned, there is an overhead switch above the driver seat that turns on the 12V system. The switch is set to "Store" to disconnect the batteries, set to "ON" to turn on the 12V appliances or to allow the batteries to be charged from shore power.

Good luck. Probably nothing major is wrong.
Clay
2001 Concourse
Santa Barbara, CA
JabberBox

Post by JabberBox »

Most likely its the ground fault outlet needing reset. On my rig if that outlet trips for whatever reason it kills juice to everything except the microwave circuit. Obviously the lights and other 12 volt items still function because they arent on the 30 amp circuit. But everything that requires 120 volts is shut off when that outlet trips.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Not familiar with Summit.... I think it has a inverter/converter... which complicates things compare to the Concourse. Definitely check the GFIC to make sure it is the culprit. I assume you have issue with both 12 V DC appliance and 110V AC?
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
JabberBox

Post by JabberBox »

If he was having 12 volt issues the entry step wouldnt be functioning either.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Yeah, but he did not say every 12V worked. For many setup, the auto step is on the chassis battery, since it allows you to enter the coach without turning on the DC panel when you open the door..... His microwave is working, but that does not means his AC panel is working perfectly either. :D
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Gimlimike

Post by Gimlimike »

Thanks everyone that gives me a great starting point. I was not aware of the switch in the driver compartment and will check that, will it be located somewhere above the steering wheel on the overhead area of the cab ? . Where would I find the GFI plug ?

Thanks agian everyone and I will let you know how we make out.
Gimlimike

Post by Gimlimike »

and yes i mispoke when I said 230, I meant 30 amp outlet.
JabberBox

Post by JabberBox »

Its an actual outlet,just like a household outlet that you plug toaster"s, television's and everything else into. It has a built in circuit breaker to protect the circuit. It will also have a small button you press inwards to test and reset. It will be back in the camper portion someplace not in the drivers compartment. On the Concourse models its back on the wall by the bathroom door.