Concourse 4x4 conversion

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
JabberBox

Re: Concourse 4x4 conversion

Post by JabberBox »

deleted
Last edited by JabberBox on June 9th, 2023, 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JabberBox

Post by JabberBox »

deleted
Last edited by JabberBox on June 9th, 2023, 8:15 pm, edited 6 times in total.
JabberBox

Post by JabberBox »

I just realized that this post has over 50300 views yet only three people have ever commented on the post since i created it.

With that said i feel like im just wasting my time trying to keep this post going. This doesnt feel like social media anymore, it feels more like me giving away my time taking pictures and posting knowledge that i have scraped and searched out over the course of a few years and giving it away to others for no valid reason. :?

With that said, im going to just focus on finishing this project and not worry about posting further updates online. Its beyond silly to spend time doing this when only one or two people express an interest in the project. :|

I will pop back in from time to time to see if the forum comes back to life eventually.... :)
asdf-asdfmovie.gif
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Well, I am not doing a conversion right at this point, but it will be good to document it for later when I have more time to spend on the rig. You may still want to take the picture and note, and some of us may come back and ask you question later.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
114FLHXS

Post by 114FLHXS »

Why have you deleted so many comments on 4x4 conversions? No one cares if you post "deleted" but the info might be useful, too. Seems like you got your panties in a wad or something!
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Post by 68camaro »

JabberBox wrote: May 21st, 2023, 8:40 pm I just realized that this post has over 50300 views yet only three people have ever commented on the post since i created it.

With that said i feel like im just wasting my time trying to keep this post going. This doesnt feel like social media anymore, it feels more like me giving away my time taking pictures and posting knowledge that i have scraped and searched out over the course of a few years and giving it away to others for no valid reason. :?
Can't say I blame you. But at 50k views you are educating tons of people even though they don't post or discuss reasons for following your progress, certainly this is not a fair two way interaction and your frustration is very understandable.

I doubt many people could really tackle this project themselves but are highly interested in the process and steps necessary...I fall into this camp, I don't have 4WD and only way to get it is bring to Ujoint for $25k conversion. So instead I live vicariously thru your posts, but I do understand the time you take to post with such detail and it can't be fun not getting feedback in return. My lack of responses has more to do with "nothing to add" or "no thoughtful comments", but I am very impressed with your build and and abilities.

If you do decide to post again rest assured you have a small quiet army of enthusiasts watching your every step.

Cheers ;)
2001 Concourse XL Lounge model, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis.
JabberBox

Post by JabberBox »

114FLHXS, this forum no longer allows a user to simply delete a post or comment in its entirety. All you can do is edit it and replace the comment with something else, such as the word "deleted". You cant leave a blank post or comment, it has to contain something. I prefer having a delete option available as doing it this way just leaves clutter.

68camaro, i just couldnt justify leaving the post intact. It was on here for two solid years and only yourself and Chin ever expressed any interest in the post, which was appreciated by the way. With that said, as you can see by the previous comment that was made it wasnt a difficult decision in not leaving the information up for the taking. That exact mentality has become the norm on these forums, not just this one. Its the im entitled to what you know or what you have, its the self entitlement delusion. I should benefit from other peoples endless hours of research, time, resources, and money spent without ever having contributed so much as one word in support of those efforts... Zero interest when the post was up and active for two years, but whine about it when its gone.

Regardess, i moved on to resolving the rear tire/wheel issue and resolved that problem the right way without spacers or wheel adapters. As you may already know thats an ongoing problem for Ford E-series dually truck owners when it comes to doing a 4x4 conversion. They always end up with two different size tires on the truck or they end up with wheel adapters that shove the tires out beyond the fenders in the rear. I researched that issue for countless hours from the day i started this project and finally found the correct solution. I spent thousands of dollars buying new parts, installing parts, taking them back off, reinstalling endless times, ordering more parts, test fitting those, but i found that solution and verified that it did in fact work and resulted in bigger brakes (13.5") on the factory rear axle housing and a better rear axle setup than the trucks came with new. As of right now im the only one that knows how to do it, what parts are needed, what machine work is needed, and where to get the key components to button it all up. That said, i decided i invested so much time and money in just that one issue alone because i did not want wheel adapters on my truck, that im not about to share it with a community that doesnt exhibit any type of support for my efforts at all, yourself and Chin excluded of course.

When someone is working on a project, input and support from groups like this forum help to keep people motivated in completing that project, but it also tends to make that person want to share their progress and knowledge with that community. One big issue here is that a large percentage of members abandoned this forum and ran over to facebook after all of the work and expense Manitou put into it so that they could have a forum dedicated to Chinooks.
But again, thats just another example of how ungrateful people can be for the efforts of someone else. But im certain those same people come back here on this forum to dig up information that isnt available over on facebook, yet they arent here to support the efforts of Manitou sadly.

In a nutshell, i was posting information on this forum with zero input or appreciation for the information being shared so that the people who abandoned not only this forum but Manitou as well, can come over here, gather information without ever expressing any support, and then run off back to facebook. Its called social media for a reason, take the social out of it and its just you posting information for others to take just for the taking. Follow me? Its just you sacraficing a portion of your life (time) for no rational or justifiable reason. If its just you posting pictures and comments with zero input from anyone else... its just you talking to yourself.
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

Do you have any photos (here or on expedition portal) of your rig putting the 4x4 abilities to use? I personally would love to see them, and I'm certain they would spark interest in general,
1994 Premier
JabberBox

Post by JabberBox »

It is a build in progress. I started it roughly two years ago but got bad sick and had to stop working on it for just over a year until i started feeling i was able to work on it again without being sick. Not really interested in sparking any interest in it at this point. The pictures and progress were all here for two years straight. There was interest, it has over 70,000 views with zero comments outside of 68camaro and Chin who are both members here.

Like i stated, i have no interest in dedicating my time to taking pictures, down sizing them, uploading them, and explaining the process on a forum that expresses no interest in the project. That stuff all requires time and effort that i could be spending doing other things. I dont mind posting information and or answering questions.... but im not going to just post pictures and information and resources when there is no expressed interest from other members. I personally dont join web forums to type posts and or talk to myself. I've had more interaction with other members after i took it all down than i did the entire time the post was up.
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Post by 68camaro »

JabberBox, all your points are well taken and I am sure most all understand.

I spent 8 years in senior leadership position as volunteer board member for largest in state 501c3 long term healthcare community. All board seats were political appointees and I can tell you 20% (2) of the 10 board members did most all of the work, after several years we did fight for better appointees and did get them. I also was volunteer fund raiser coordinator at district level for BSA and 80/20 rule was very much in force here. I got so frustrated I resigned. I also did search & rescue for 6 years until got disillusioned as well, it was always us same few changing leadership seats because no one else would step up.

My point is it really is small minority that keep the lights on and vehicles rolling. Manitou is good example at all his efforts and expenses keeping this site going, I do hope he is not dipping into his own pocket.

I am glad things are working out with build and unfortunately as was said in Moneyball...."its the first people over the hill that take the most flack".

Back on topic, when I upgraded my tires I went with 235/85/16 and because I also did not want spacers I accepted some minimal rubbing. However, I may look to go more narrow at tire change to prevent rubbing and based on video below I may have more tread contact with ground when airing down on narrower tire (even though wide tires look so cool.......)

I am not sure what tires you used but for people looking to do conversion maybe narrow tire will save some frustration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wAJAOxh8LE&t=7s
2001 Concourse XL Lounge model, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis.