Concourse 4x4 conversion

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
JabberBox

Re: Concourse 4x4 conversion

Post by JabberBox »

This is a photo of a stock Chinook concourse rear spring with a stock caliper bracket, backing plate, park cable, U-bolts etc... Anything narrower than your existing rear axle is going to present clearance problems.
DSC02289.JPG
The next issue is that you stated youre going to run a sterling rear axle. It is my understanding that the sterling axle was only installed in SRW f-250 trucks and excursions, the Dually pickups and F-350 received the Dana 80 axles. The sterling axle will be to narrow for your application and wont work on a dually truck if you plan to retain rear dual wheels. I believe on or after 2017 ford did actually install a sterling axle in the F-350 but dont quote me on that.

That leaves you getting a Dana 80 from an actual dually truck which when compared to the Dana 70 which is in your truck is not the same width and likely has a different pinion offset as well. Here is a comparison between your two dually pickup options. Obviously one of them is going to be to narrow and the other although wider by a couple of inches is going to push your tires/wheels out of your fender opening. AL-LH and AL-RH means axle length left and right. Your truck is listed at the bottom for comparison.
comparison.PNG
Last edited by JabberBox on October 22nd, 2023, 6:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
noluck

Post by noluck »

thanks for the heads up, i will be measuring the axle tomorrow
1995 chinook concourse soon to be cummins power
JabberBox

Post by JabberBox »

Here are some more axles based on year for the F-350 trucks for comparison. As you can see when compared to the E-series Dana70 dually axle they arent the same. Even though a couple seem like they may work (after cutting off the spring and shock mounts and relocating them) you end up with your tires/wheels sitting beyond your fender openings. Not trying to knock the wind out of your sails just letting you know there is always a compromise. That is exactly why i handled the rear axle in my truck the way i did.
compare 2.PNG
JabberBox

Post by JabberBox »

noluck wrote: October 22nd, 2023, 6:04 pm thanks for the heads up, i will be measuring the axle tomorrow
Make sure you measure from the brake backing plate flange that is welded to the axle tubes to the flange on the opposite side. Anything that is narrower than what you already have in your truck isnt going to work, obviously because you cant relocate the leaf springs. Also measure the pinion offset.

Any chance you can get the axle bom number off the tag or the axle tube so i can look your existing axle up?
noluck

Post by noluck »

you bet, will try to get under it today
noluck

Post by noluck »

i can't find any numbers on that diff
JabberBox

Post by JabberBox »

If there is no tag then you will find the BOM numbers stamped into the right hand axle tube near the center section. Thats the right hand side when looking at the back of the axle.
JabberBox

Post by JabberBox »

Ordered a full set of new shocks for the truck today front and back. They have to be custom valved for the weight of this truck so they wont even ship for at least a week. They are 2.5 inch diameter shocks with remote reservoirs. Based on what i read about them they should help this truck considerably on washboard type roads and bumps.
Last edited by JabberBox on October 27th, 2023, 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
noluck

Post by noluck »

starting my own thread for those that want to watch