Help Needed: Spare Tire Mount Bracket

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
NUUKEEE

Help Needed: Spare Tire Mount Bracket

Post by NUUKEEE »

Hi All ..

I've started reviving the OEM Spare Tire Mount on our 1999 Concourse we bought here in San Diego last July. It came with bent rear bumpers and the Spare and Mount pieces on the floor inside which we left beside the garage till I could get "Ah-Round-Tu-it" and mount the tire. I've been able to get the bracket straighten enough to proceed with the mount but I've not found a good source for details.
Now with 12,000 miles of driving the RV under our belt, I'm feeling like my luck has been good ... but its time to fix it.
Can you direct me to an exploded view or some pictures of the parts of the Tire Mount ?? Especially, the upper pin (missing) and the pivot pin.

Thx ...
1999 Chinook Concourse - Pretty Much Stock !!
starjots

Re: Help Needed: Spare Tire Mount Bracket

Post by starjots »

Sorry, I don't have any pics/documentation.

However, when our spare tire holder cracked and was fixing to fall off during a trip in eastern Colorado, I was somewhat panicked. It was 3PM on a Friday in a very small town. I could only think of calling car repair places or body shops. They pointed me to the local welder. He worked his magic on it for about an hour and it was better than new. When he gave me the bill I almost fell over -- $40. We couldn't say 'thank you' enough.
Punches

Post by Punches »

We just bought a 2000 Chinook Premier with 200k miles, and one side of the spare tire mount was broken and the other has stress cracks. I removed it, and my father in law took the piece to our local welder that he knows. Long story short is the guy refused to weld it. He said there wasn't enough metal there to make it strong enough, even if he welded a plate to it. He said, he thought it would break which could potentially kill someone. Curious if others have had to fix theirs and how it has held up. My next thought is to have them fabricate me a new stronger one, but I'm sure that is going to be pricey.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Any picture that you can share? i am curious about the condition for the welder to draw the conclusion.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Roly

Post by Roly »

My spare tire mount is on a shelf in the barn because I installed a front trailer hitch and a hitch mounted spare carrier.
I read about this mod here per Mr. Blue. The new weight distribution might be beneficial. I have not experienced any diminished engine cooling.

Roly
Attachments
spare 2.JPG
1998 Premier
Astrodokk

Post by Astrodokk »

One of the claw sides broke off mine. I took it to a welder and he did it for $30. Feels and looks strong. Had to paint it to prevent rust.
The only problem I see is the pair of rubber straps that can tear.
2000 Ford E350 415CI/6.8L V-10 Triton Chinook Concourse XL Club Lounge
kskogerson

Post by kskogerson »

Go to Roadking spare tire accessory, expensive but much more friendly to operate and lowers the spare to the ground! Get an extension 12" and have a welder attach it to the left of the current hitch box. This beats the HEAVY flimsy spare tire carrier and allows you to ACTUALLY pull the spare tire off on the ground.
kskogerson

Post by kskogerson »

I meant Roadmaster
Hea!

Post by Hea! »

I bought a welder from Amazon just to make this happen!
Attachments
IMG_20230814_073655.jpg
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

Nice job! That's a lot smarter than the original. Way to salvage materials, too. 8-)
1994 Premier