1995 Concourse interior remodel

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
VT Chinook

1995 Concourse interior remodel

Post by VT Chinook »

Hi all my wife and I accuired a 1995 Concourse in November from NC proceeded to drive it back to VT and gut and redo the interior. We removed all the carpet for beadboard walls and wood flooring adding insulation to both as we went. Widened the asile between the couch and dinete by 19" so could get by the dogs laying on the floor and added a spanning board under the couch to cover the aisle and give us a King bed insted of the 2 smaller than twins that were original. Removed the micro and TV for more storage. All new LED lighting (except the one over the back door that I somehow forgot...) and a track curtain to seperate the cab and coach areas. Here are a few photos
Next up
12v fridge to replace the leaking 3way
updated solar and batteries
Kyak carrier....if anyone has experience with this please let me know.
IMG_5784.jpg
IMG_5783.jpg
IMG_5781.jpg
IMG_5778.jpg
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Re: 1995 Concourse interior remodel

Post by deppstein »

VT Chinook—
I really like what you did with the interior remodel. Creating the wider isle looks really nice. And better flooring and insulation to boot! We did same with the micro—More Storage! Yea.
In response to your question about carrying kayaks—-check out the posts under General Chinook/Additional Storage. I posted some pics on that thread showing what I did to utilize the roof railing to mount some Thule bars (using high foot mounts) that I could then use to carry our canoe or two kayaks (one or the other, not both at same time). Using the railing was somewhat controversial—legitimate wondering and concern if that railing was secure enough. But I took the risk, and five years later, having traveled 50,000 miles cross-country with various boats, and/or a Rocket Box attached to the Thule Bars, I can report that the railing is sill holding with no sign of screws becoming loose. Full disclosure—after a couple of years of getting those kayaks or canoe up and down from the roof, I got tired of all that fuss, so graduated to high quality Alpacka Pack Rafts—there is a thread on all that as well if you search for The topic Pack Boats. Nothing beats a good kayak on the water (except maybe a good canoe), but the ease of use with our Alpacka Rafts is definitely worth it for us (we are 72 after all—enough futzing with boats up on the roof). These days, it’s just about getting out on the water. Besides, aren’t I correct that your roof top space is reserved for solar in the future?
David
David
VT Chinook

Post by VT Chinook »

Thanks David ill look for that post. Maybe you. Can help.here too
Durring the remodel we fixed the screens that were just laying behind the seats. I don't see how the hold to the windows. There must be clips of some kind. Do you know what they look like or where I might get some?
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Post by deppstein »

VT Chinook—
I’m afraid I can’t help you regarding the screens—my 2004 Premier has rectangular windows that have tracks for the screens…sounds line it was one of the improvements made over the years. Perhaps someone else with a “more vintage Rig” like your’s can help you out.
…only other thought I have is to fashion a rubberized magnetic gasket—I know they make that sort of flexible magnetic material—I remember it from some project my Dad was working on when he converted a school bus into our first camper back in the mid-1960’s. Hell, maybe it was even to attach screens to the windows! :)
David
VT Chinook

Post by VT Chinook »

Hi all, well we had a good summer traveling with the Chinook, decided to keep it but wnated to make some changes. We removed the AC and generator (didnt use it once last summer). Opened up the original AC roof penetration and installed a skylight. With the generator gone we have some much needed storage space and lost a bit of weight. We also removed the 3 way fridge and went with a smaller Recpro 12vdc 4.3 cuft model. We added 200W of solar and 3 100 ah deep cycle battteries. We now have some parts that are available if anyone is in need of a working AC unit, generator or parts from the fridge. The fridge has an amonia leak but the rest is good and I had just installed a new dinosaur board before the leak happened. Looking forward to hitting the road again this summer with a trip planned to PEI and maybe one to the allagheny mtns. If any one is interested in any of these parts let me know
20230209_173148.jpg
20230209_173128.jpg
20230209_173206.jpg
20230209_173231.jpg
JabberBox

Post by JabberBox »

I spy a Blue Heeler :D
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Post by deppstein »

VT Chinook—nice to see you posting again. Was actually wondering a few weeks back how/what you did for kayak storage that you had mentioned earlier.
Your latest improvements sound wonderfully useful—more solar and battery capacity always a plus. And skylight! Nice. We also swapped out the generator for more storage—really makes taking longer trips easier. That compartment is perfect for outdoor stuff like charcoal grill and my wife’s fly fishing boots and waders.
I think you’ll like PEI…good biking (do you carry bikes?..if not I think you should consider it-we use them all the time!). And if headed in that direction, check out Cape Breton in Nova Scotia and Newfoundland! We did a 6-week trip through there several years back and loved it. Great sites, good music (Cape Breton), and fabulous wilderness and camping with delightful coastal villages in Newfoundland. The whole province is just woods and ocean. Happy to share suggestions of camping spots we particularly enjoyed if you want.
David
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Post by deppstein »

VT—one other quick suggestion for some really nice long weekend camping in your neck of the woods would be the Eastern Townships of Canada…that triangle of land in Canada just above the VT border. Louise Penny (author of hood mystery stories) territory. Pretty little towns and countryside. Great Provincal Park (Dumont-Orford).
VT Chinook

Post by VT Chinook »

Good eyes Jabberbox we have 2 healers that travel with us.

David thankd for the canada tips. As far a kayak carrier we decided to go with 2 inflatible SUPs that we can puton top or in the space where the generator was. Turns out the dogs like the SUPs more than the kayaks anyway.
ChinookinAround

Post by ChinookinAround »

I love the beadboard on the ceiling! Did you remove the fabric on the ceiling before installing it? I would love to know details.