Entry door construction

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
Claude

Entry door construction

Post by Claude »

The entry door on our 1997 Concourse needs love. It apparently was not taken care of over the years and now is starting to separate from the metal frame. It had moved apart enough near the middle hinge so that I could peak in a bit, so I inserted a wire as a probe to see if I could hit anything solid.
I had success and zipped in a long screw to keep the door together as a temporary fix. I tried to find more wood inside the frame to screw into, but after two futile attempts, decided that I didn't need to make the door frame look like a piece of Swiss cheese and I'm reaching out to the forum. I've searched other postings and have found out a lot of info about door issues, but nothing addressing my situation.

Does anyone know or have a picture/schematic of how these old doors were sandwiched together? I know there is more wood somewhere in there, but it would be nice to have a reference point or location. In the photo, the screw above the hinge hit wood and brought the frame back together enough that I can operate the door, but the one below hit some foam board and nothing else. If I can get a few more screws into something solid, I can have a workable fix until I figure out how to rebuild the thing. One other note: our rig is a side entry. I imagine that all Chinooks of our vintage had the same door, but you never know.

Many thanks for your assistance.
door.jpg
1997 Concourse SE Ford Triton 6.8L V-10