2000 Chinook engine battery died on trip.

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
Astrodokk

Re: 2000 Chinook engine battery died on trip.

Post by Astrodokk »

The solar set up looks amazing and adding to the original 50W and not wasting it is how I like to do things too.
Looks like I'll have some nice projects to complete before my next road trip.
2000 Ford E350 415CI/6.8L V-10 Triton Chinook Concourse XL Club Lounge
Astrodokk

Post by Astrodokk »

Clay, I just finished reading your RV blog. It was very helpful.
I'm ordering the Coleman 68032 solar controller today, but I see a new one that is identical, except it is marked Sunforce 60032, and about 20 bucks less on ebay. Identical specs. Amazon has it for way more. Would these be exactly the same except for older branding with the SunForce?
If yes, I will opt for the same but less expensive one. You say yourself in your blog that you are frugal, and so am I. However, if the technology has changes so somewhat, I will get the Coleman branded one.
Thanks.
caconcourse

Post by caconcourse »

Astrodokk wrote: August 18th, 2022, 11:11 am Clay, I just finished reading your RV blog. It was very helpful.
I'm ordering the Coleman 68032 solar controller today, but I see a new one that is identical, except it is marked Sunforce 60032, and about 20 bucks less on ebay. Identical specs. Amazon has it for way more. Would these be exactly the same except for older branding with the SunForce?
If yes, I will opt for the same but less expensive one. You say yourself in your blog that you are frugal, and so am I. However, if the technology has changes so somewhat, I will get the Coleman branded one.
Thanks.
The Sunforce is the same unit as the Coleman, as long as it has the display readout, and it looks like that model does. Just shipped your PD4645, should arrive early next week.
Clay
2001 Concourse
Santa Barbara, CA
Astrodokk

Post by Astrodokk »

Oh that's great! Nervous about installing but I'll try it. Thanks.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Clay, I thought there is no difference between the PD4645 and PD4645V. Am I mistaken? For mine, there is the jumper that allow me to use it to charge lithium batteries by a jumper switch. Mine is like 4 yrs old.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
caconcourse

Post by caconcourse »

chin_k wrote: August 18th, 2022, 4:33 pm Clay, I thought there is no difference between the PD4645 and PD4645V. Am I mistaken? For mine, there is the jumper that allow me to use it to charge lithium batteries by a jumper switch. Mine is like 4 yrs old.
The PD4645 original model (mine was 7 years old) does not have the Lithium Jumper, so that is probably a PD4645V feature. Progressive Dynamics seemed to have second thoughts about their Lithium support, and they now market the PD4645LIV which is for lithium only, without backward lead-acid support. I don't know why they changed or if the Lithium jumper works differently from the LIV circuit, which basically outputs a constant 14.6V charge. I replaced the PD4645 guts with the PD4645LIV. When I bought the original PD4645, it came with the circuit board mounted in the shell. When I purchased the PD4645LIV it did not come with the shell, so I replaced the circuit board and kept the old shell.

I have been charging my Lithiums in the driveway with the Coleman solar charger, which is a 3-stage charger with 13.6V nominal output. They are staying steady over 13V (been several months now), but they may (or may not) take longer to charge or not charge to 100% with the 3-stage charger. This might be better for the batteries, if they charge to 80% instead of 100%, like a hybrid car battery that tries to stay between 20% and 80% for longer life. Anyway, this experience makes me think that the old PD4645 with the three-stage controller would probably work fine with lithium batteries, it just may not be optimal.
Clay
2001 Concourse
Santa Barbara, CA
Astrodokk

Post by Astrodokk »

caconcourse wrote:
"I have a PD4645 you can have if you send me your shipping address via DM. I replaced it with the lithium version (LIV) so i don't need it anymore. It originally came with the shell, which probably made it a little easier to install, but my LIV replacement only came with the circuit boards, so I reused the shell from the last one. This is probably the difference you were referring to. You should be able to replace the Magnatek board with the PD4645 in the original shell. You may or may not have to drill new mounting holes but should be easy."

I took the old Magnatek out and am trying to figure out how to remove the circuit boards from the shell. Access to the internal area is non existent.
I've attached a pic of the new one sitting atop the old one.
I can see that I will indeed have to drill new mounting holes for the PD4645 board, but I'm wondering how you were able to get the old Magnatek board out?
I may have to grind off some top rivets to allow access.
Attachments
converter.jpg
converter.jpg (29.42 KiB) Viewed 1031 times
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

"I may have to grind off some top rivets to allow access."

You have answered yourself there.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Ideally, you should call Progressive Dynamics and see if they have the enclosure that they can sell for you. Putting a 110V AC device into a different enclosure may not be the right thing to do since it may invalid the UL listing, etc., but I have done plenty of aweful things in my RV, so I will keep quiet.
Astrodokk

Post by Astrodokk »

Chin, I thought of that too, as this new to me PD4645 has two fans, versus only one on the old Mag. The old enclosure only has one major airhole, where the old fan used to be. It may not be enough airflow if this one gets hotter than the original.
I have already put in a request for one at PD, but they are busy and haven't got back to me yet. I may just cut a couple more air holes in the shell and entice mice to visit.
I found a skeleton in the old Mag. It had once been a frog (only about two inches).
Either way, I'm so glad to be doing this project, because I'm learning a lot by duress.
And the price was right too ha ha. Well, at least I'm not charging myself labor (and neither is anyone else). I just have to be patient and figure things out.
By the way, I've already installed the new guts into the old shell, but I will wait for PD to return my email, or I will call them.