Chinook 120k Service

Everything to do with engines, options, upgrades.
michael7177

Chinook 120k Service

Post by michael7177 »

The left column is a list of the 120k Service (1 to 14) as listed in the Ford Scheduled Maintenance Guide.

12. Do I need to change the transmission fluid or just check the level? Do I have AX4S, AX4N, etc…? How do I confirm?

15. I added because Auto Repair #1’s estimate threw in something I don’t understand or I found this from another list online. What should I do with this entry?

I supposed the last column TBD should be a Ford Dealer estimate, correct? Maybe they will answer my questions above?
Attachments
02A20BFF-F9BF-4651-9521-3F561276E84D.jpeg
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
BobW9

Re: Chinook 120k Service

Post by BobW9 »

15) is the rear differential axle fluid, which is critical to keeping the main drive shaft gear smoothly interacting with the axle. My 2000 Concourse has a Dana 70 axle with 4.10:1 gear ratio and limited slip differential, as I think many of the (Ford?) Concourses did (it was in my brochure from the time). The differential is where when you turn, the inner axle/tires rotates less than the outer axle/tires, which have to travel further. If you had a solid axle they would want to turn the same amount, which isn't possible. The limited slip is basically a way to give better traction in slipping conditions (including rain and snow).

From: https://mechanicbase.com/transmission/o ... fferences/
"The difference between an open and a limited slip differential is the function during slipping conditions. The open differential sends power to the wheel that is encountering the least resistance and the limited-slip differential transfers power to the wheel with the most traction."

If the differential fluid gets too dirty or is low, the rear will start binding when you turn, and you might hear a grinding noise or feel a bit of a hop on a sharp turn. When it was happening to me, I'd have sworn the grinding noise and hopping was coming from the front steering, from the way it felt. Took it to Donco Truck & Automotive in Austin, TX, and when the guy came outside to listen while I turned, he diagnosed it in all of one minute. I was passing through and he was kind enough to take me right then. Took them maybe an hour or less, but then you have to wait another hour (two?) as part of the process (I forget why, though I did read about it sometime later, maybe seal drying?). This was back in 2014, it cost $260.

Be aware that some places might say they can do it, but they might not do it properly. I recently had the differential fluid low because of a ruptured axle seal from getting new brakes. On the E350 dually, replacing brakes (rotors, not pads) apparently involves messing up that seal and they have to replace the seal as part of the brake job, and the guy didn't get the thin little ring seated perfectly and it started leaking after a few weeks. I wasn't able to take it back to the original shop, so found another shop for Light Trucks near by. They did replace the seal okay, but did a half-assed job replacing the differential fluid. They are supposed to open up the differential plate, clean things out, reposition everything just right, close it back up, and then fill it with fluid. They were nervous about opening the plate and getting everything back in place after (too hard? something they had no experience in? I didn't get a good response), so drained it out the side axle, taking an hour or more to fully drain it. So it was mostly replaced, but the gears weren't cleaned. It is working fine now, though.

Note that if you have a leak, you do need to empty and replace all the fluid, because it is a mix of differential fluid and a limited slip additive, which is important and needs to be in the correct proportions. At least, assuming you have the limited-slip Dana 70 like I do.

And if you find you have the limited slip, then make sure to tell the service people, and tell them again at the end, to be certain they remembered and added the additive. Apparently for RV's, it is somewhat uncommon to have it and many will assume we do not.

You can search in the postings here for more info, try differential or dana. I think one of them tells how to determine which axle you have.
2000 Concourse, Ford Triton 6.8 V10
michael7177

Post by michael7177 »

Interestingly the Santa Margarita Ford dealer prices were lower than two of auto repair places i visited.
#8 Fuel Filter Replace - $164.95

#12 Transmission Service - $349.95
The Santa Margarita Ford dealer says I probably have the AX4S or 4R100 and recommended a fluid change not just an inspection.

But as of April 2022 they won’t work on RVs anymore. I believe I heard that Huntington Beach Ford doesn’t work on RVs either. Huntington Beach Ford did my 90k service in 2016.

#15 Differential Service - Santa Margarita Ford - $299.95
Thanks for the detailed response BobW9!
michael7177

Post by michael7177 »

I know about differentials. This is a fascinating old video… :D
https://youtu.be/K4JhruinbWc